who daily drives their classic ?

-

65-440

Reaction score
Ok, wondering how many of you actually daily drive your classic Mopars ? And I mean an honest daily driver because its all you got ! I found a '72 Swinger for sale locally. Guy wants to trade me straight up for '99 Cherokee. The Jeep is my everyday car, good weather or bad, that is my way around. For a while I've been wanting an old car for everyday use and now that the opportunity has arose I am having some doubts of actually going through with it ! It's a factory 318, a/t, p/s, p/b, a/c car. Supposedly everything is in working order except the A/C. Current owner says he drives it 3-4 days a week. Says the front windshield is leaking, but I'm positive its the wiper pivot seals which is not a big deal. Body and floors are clean, no rot ...... Would you guys give up a GOOD running, known dependable car for something you know nothing about ??

Here are some youtube videos taken a few months back. Someone else was interested but deal fell through. He's a young kid, his grandmother bought the car for him when he graduated. He is leaving for boot camp in September, just wants to let the car go ... Oh yeah, his mom backed into the drivers quarter !
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOv-rrsLQhM&list=UUJlPys_vcyFTPGSW_tFnZFA&feature=share&index=1"]The dart - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c86sPqwDXw4&feature=share&list=UUJlPys_vcyFTPGSW_tFnZFA"]Dart two - YouTube[/ame]

To the tune of about 25,000 miles a year.

I can't beleive you are actually asking US if you should trade your Cherokee for an A body. :)
"I don't care who you are, that's funny right there"

I purchased a Pontiac Montana van last year and had my share of problems with it. After putting over a grand into it, I was hoping I was done and it would be reliable. I found my Valiant wagon in late January, I was planning on using it here and there. Shortly after, I had more problems with with the van and it was costing me $90-$100 a week in gas even with the V6. With no where else to turn, I decided to use te wagon. I travel 54 miles one way to work, so I travel at least 110 miles a day, 5 days a week and use $50-$60 in gas. She's my daily driver and one I love to drive! The wife hates it.... "Everyone stares at us!". She has a Chrysler Sebrig and she uses that back and forth to work, we use the wagon to go everywhere.......We did a 300 mile trip in her yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, she'll complain and have a problem pop up every now and then, but it's something I can usually handle on a weekend.

BTW, gonna get the van straightened out and sell it, I'm officially done with new cars. I'd like to find another old one to use during the lovely New England winters so that I don't use the wagon.....we will see.

think that dart is on craigslist.

a 99 cherokee? what kind of shape is the cherokee in? i'd keep the cherokee. cheap and easy to get just about any part you need. very reliable too..

to me that dart looks to be someone else's headache. something sounds like crap under the hood.. is that just an exhaust leak? hard to tell in the video. drivers quarter is a mess, the motor sounds real lazy too...

i'm not against having an old car as a DD. but i would buy something nicer then that dart to do it in..

To the tune of about 25,000 miles a year.

I can't beleive you are actually asking US if you should trade your Cherokee for an A body. :)
"I don't care who you are, that's funny right there"

Ok, Ok, ...... I want another A-body for sure, just don't know about trading my jeep for one !

ndeconte : fortunately for me I only drive 7 miles one way to work ! I would love another REAL dart to drive everyday, hopefully a good cleaning and maybe some upgrades will be it at first. Def need to do the wiper pivot seals first. Maybe and HEI ignition upgrade as well .... You check out the videos ?

think that dart is on craigslist.

a 99 cherokee? what kind of shape is the cherokee in? i'd keep the cherokee. cheap and easy to get just about any part you need. very reliable too..

to me that dart looks to be someone else's headache. something sounds like crap under the hood.. is that just an exhaust leak? hard to tell in the video. drivers quarter is a mess, the motor sounds real lazy too...

Dude my Cherokee is in great shape, that's why I'm so hesitant. just hit 120k miles. and ice cold A/C ! I heard that noise too, sounds exactly like the '72 scamp I had. Noise was from the compressor ....

Dude my Cherokee is in great shape, that's why I'm so hesitant. just hit 120k miles. and ice cold A/C ! I heard that noise too, sounds exactly like the '72 scamp I had. Noise was from the compressor ....

then your cherokee is worth a lot more then that dart. don't do it. you will kick yourself.

I drove my 63 Valiant for 4 years daily about 20 or so miles on the average. Biggest fear was someone plowing into me and not being able to find parts. Only happened once.A guy pulled out looking straight at me and caught the Valiant in the drivers quarter. Left some marks and pulled the bumper back about a inch, His new Toyota truck didn't do so well.Front bumper cover,grill and both headlites were on the ground,along with both front fenders bent.

I did watch the vids, car doesn't seem bad, I;m with abodyjoe tho, something sounds strange in the engine compartment, could be just the cell phone mic.

Can you purchase the car outright?

In 1996 bought a 1967 coronet convertible 318,auto, PS, AC with original paint, interior and torn top

Bought it as my daily driver and loved it till the 1st snow then I had to get another winter vehicle.

But for 2 summers I drove it 38 miles one way to work and on the weekends we drove it a lot unless we needed more room or wanted better AC.

I would love to have a nice car to drive daily. Like the 72 Scamp that the guy is thinking he might need to sell. To me that would make a great daily driver. Fix what needs fixed and maintain it and enjoy driving a classic car daily.

Have a cousin in Mississippi that had a 57 coupe deVille in 58 and wanted another 57. Bought one that was almost a twin to his and bought to use daily. He drove it for years, not sure if he still does but he let me drive it and on the interstate he said go ahead and run speed limit, I do all the time. What a great way to get around.

I can purchase outright, but don't have the cash sitting around right now. He's asking $5k for the car .... I don't think my Jeep can bring that much, I paid $2k for it 2 years ago ! BUT ... it is very reliable, and I have put some work into it ...

i daily drove my 65 plymouth for about 2 years before i tore into it, daily drove my 72 240Z for about 6 months before i sold it, daily drove my 68 for about 3 years, daily drive my swinger going on 5 years... they are cars and are ment to be driven.

I'm assuming the Cherokee is a 4x4 (they did make a few rwd) and it would be hard for me to trade for an A-body as they aren't as good in poor driving conditions.
If you have a dependable daily driver, whether a newer car or a vintage one, keep it.

I drove my 65 Dart Wagon everyday for 10 months before 2nd gear when out thats when I decided to go will a 340 and 4spd that was 6 years ago and now I'm into the body work, floors and rebuilding the front and rear suspension so at this rate it could be another 6 years before I drive it again. It was great driving it everyday alway got thumps up and horns blowing all the time.

I can purchase outright, but don't have the cash sitting around right now. He's asking $5k for the car .... I don't think my Jeep can bring that much, I paid $2k for it 2 years ago ! BUT ... it is very reliable, and I have put some work into it ...

that dart is not worth anywhere near $5000. no way no how. at best its a $1500-$3000 car in my opinion..

at 120,000 miles your jeep assuming the body and int is decent is worth quite a bit around here... my boy paid $2200 for a 97 cherokee with 222,000 miles on it.. body is clean but the int was dirty as hell.. needed a battery and alt too..

My jeep, this time the pictures are there!

Attachments

• 20140526_183027-1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 493
  • 20140526_183010-1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 496
you stole that thing for 2k. no way is the dart worth that jeep. do not do it. you will regret it.

you stole that thing for 2k. no way is the dart worth that jeep. do not do it. you will regret it.

Man, value difference by location is crazy. These don't bring crap down here, wranglers hold good value but not a box Cherokee ! I guess my crazy desire to drive a classic Mopar is not the best decision, at least not with this deal !
You really think that dart is a $3k car tops ? Prices are all over the place for these cars, some are stupid high rust buckets and some are actually down to earth realistic prices .... Getting hard to gauge actual value ....

-
Back