Who has replaced a rear servo??

-

EL5DEMON340

Reaction score
Reverse went out on my 727, still have all forward gears so my trans guy thinks it might be the rear servo. He ordered me a HD one from A&A, but he may not be able to get to it for a while. I may give it a try, will the valve body need to come out? Will I be able to get the piston out with the lever still attached? Any special tools needed? Thanks

It will be very difficult to compress the spring with trans in car.

A section of PVC pipe helps with that. :D
You will need to remove the strut to get the lever far enough back so you can get it out and the new one in. (getting the strut back in place is probably the hardest part) but not too bad.
No valvebody drop needed.

Attachments

• band.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 219
A section of PVC pipe helps with that. :D
You will need to remove the strut to get the lever far enough back so you can get it out and the new one in. (getting the strut back in place is probably the hardest part) but not too bad.
No valvebody drop needed.

Thanks !! how do you use the PVC ?? 2" or so and use a c clamp To compress the spring?

Maybe the anchor tore off the band, or the lining's gone.Point is; I never order parts until I'm sure what to order.

The spring isnt that stiff. If you're laying on your back under there, you should have way enough power to get it back together. But it will be awkward, for sure.After compressing the spring with that little metal hat,I usually slide that hat into the snapring groove, before slipping the snapring in there. Then as the snapring goes in, and is starting to jam up, I pop that hat into place and finish winding the S-ring in. Works for me.

I think I got a bottle of jack? What size bricks

bricks go under bottle jack to get the jack high enough to work..then i use a large socket to hold spring and retainer in place while putting on snap ring

bricks go under bottle jack to get the jack high enough to work..then i use a large socket to hold spring and retainer in place while putting on snap ring

That works too. :D
So does AJ's method, and I actually used his way on the bench because it was faster.

A section of PVC, bottle of Jack with bricks and a socket :D, there's a few way of getting it done.

If you need to shim it up 7/16 lock washers can be straightened out in a vice with a crescent wrench and work pretty good. Just surface grind them a little on the side of the grinding wheel.

Piece of cake. Reverse is working agane thanks to a A&A billit servo. Spring retainer and c clip were just laying in the pan. Valve body had to come out so I could get the leaver back far enough. Thanks for the help

-
Back