who has the fastest 318 ?!!!

-
Looks nice! I will tell you, though, that your 318 is NOT swallowing those cfm's up top there. I know you went to the dual quads and dropped ET, but that could only be that it was too lean before, and now you are getting the fuel. But that's ok, work with it if you're having fun. :) Just so you know, there are a lot of 750 dp Holleys into the 10's. I've seen people run 10's with a Thermoquad. One throw togather 318 I had was in a dart sport that went 14.40's at 96 mph. It just had a set of used 360 heads, used 340 cam and a Thermoquad. My gears were 3.21's with a stock automatic and stock converter. But keep working with it and see what it does for you! I like the idea!

you could be very right about getting the fuel. I could not tune a carburetor correctly if my life depended on it. It seems to run just fine with one 4 barrel and just as good or better with two four barrels on it? 360 heads,
464 lift- 284 duration cam, 4-speed, 355 track lock, 26×10.5 × 15 slicks. The rest of the summer i would like to
tune and lighten.

:???:Really! That's it? No one races a little 318?
Not as many because a 360 is available in large numbers and they are less expensive to build for a go fast machine . Just makes your car a rarity , a screaming 318 .

Sounds like a fun heads up class. A 318 block and a minimum weight depending on power adder, that's it. How long would it take that class to get out of control like all heads up classes do eventually?

Dennis

more quick 318's out there than you would imagine.... don't let this thread fool ya. There are plenty of quick 273's out there too.....

I run a 318. It's .030 over stock bottom end. Engine Quest heads with LS1 type beehive springs and retainers. Comp XE268H cam. Has 4.10 gears and 26 x 10.5 ET Streets. Shift kit in the A904. The best it ran with the stock convertor was 13.72 and the best MPH was 101. The car weighs about 3700 with me in it. This winter I'm getting the right stall convertor and fixing the trans cause it slips into second now. I also figure I'll gain a bit by freshening up the brakes on the front cause they are REAL sticky, I can't even turn the wheels by hand. I think that's killing some mph. I'm a strong believer in the wee18

I run a 318. It's .030 over stock bottom end. Engine Quest heads with LS1 type beehive springs and retainers. Comp XE268H cam. Has 4.10 gears and 26 x 10.5 ET Streets. Shift kit in the A904. The best it ran with the stock convertor was 13.72 and the best MPH was 101. The car weighs about 3700 with me in it. This winter I'm getting the right stall convertor and fixing the trans cause it slips into second now. I also figure I'll gain a bit by freshening up the brakes on the front cause they are REAL sticky, I can't even turn the wheels by hand. I think that's killing some mph. I'm a strong believer in the wee18

Thank you 75dartse! :prayer: this is the direction I'd like see this thread go! Got any pics?

I do have a couple pics, but they are nothing fancy. There is as little chrome under the hood as possible and the headers are just painted and chipped. I will see if I can upload some pics later from my phone.

318's racing & really fast teens are two different things. Unless your "class" racing or trying to prove a point, there's really no reason to put a max effort into one.

If I had the coin and built a teen, I'd build a solid 13/14 second car to clean house at my local track & be a multiple time Bracket champ. If I couldn't help but go fast, I would most likely build a milder "big inch" engine to get it done.

I'm a tuner/racer at heart, so getting it done on the track, meaning round wins, is really what turns my screws these days, versus the street scene or posting big numbers.

Hang in there. I know there's more well built 318's out there also, it's just that not all of them go racing or spend a lot of time here.

I ran a 11.8@113 in a 3800 pound car.
STOCK 1991 318 shortblock factory roller lifters
Cam specs .373/.399 lift
360 ported heads 2.02/1.60
727 rev man transbrake
8 3/4 with 3.55 spool
BFG 275/60/15 Radial T/A
6PSI of Roots boost
150 shot of N2O
:D

318's racing & really fast teens are two different things. Unless your "class" racing or trying to prove a point, there's really no reason to put a max effort into one.

Well said, I agree. These are racers we are talking about....racers try to go as fast as possible as cheap as possible. If you can get more cubes (like 42 more) for the same price, it’s like free horse power. Here is my old 318 that I use to run a LONG time ago (I copied it from another thread).

Back when I was in college, my Barracuda was my daily driver with a mild 318, 360 heads, 650dp, and a "RV cam". The car was 3275 lbs, had a 727 and 3.23 gears. At Bandimere Speedway in Colorado (5800') the car ran 16.5-16.8 in the 1/4, the density altitude was usually 9000+ feet like it always is in the summer. I put a nitrous kit on the car and hit it with a 150 shot somewhere after the 60' mark, because with my stock converter it took a while to get the car above 3000 RPM (I only turned on the juice above 3000 RPM). The car ran 13.9 on the bottle....to give you a better idea for those that don't live at high altitude, at that time the new Covettes ran ~ 14.5 and new Vipers ran ~ 13.6....If I had just put a decent converter in the car with some sticky tires it would have been in the 12's easy...and that's at high altitude . Trap speeds were 105-108 mph for this combo most of the time.

thank you men! Those last post are a good shot in the arm for this thread. these cars can easily become an extension of our personality and to know me is to know I always understate myself for the most part.
here in Oregon near Portland there is the big track for drag racing the Woodburn dragstrip.they do have a nearby dragstrip that's more of a racetrack that's used as a drag strip also Portland International Raceway they do grudge match test/tune Friday/ Saturday night nights.I do love to invite my bragging buddies with there corvettes and camaros out to the drag strip and say it's just a little 318 that my uncle and I put together it's really just a jalopy! as you can well imagine I've heard them all by now my car did not get traction I shifted from 2nd to 5th oh brother?!

I am planning to run a small series next year at the woodburn dragstrip called the "hole in the hood" series. Open to all cars with a tunnel ram or something coming out of the hood. It's just 6 races over the season, but I think it will help me get involved and more knowledgeable.

Got to keep this thread alive! Pulling out all the tricks to give the 318 it's best time. Going to the track tomorrow night--- stay tuned?

Years ago I broke the 340 in my Dart and a friend had a bone stock low mileage 318 out of a 70 Charger, I got it we did a valve job, put a lb4b intake with a 650 and headers and it ran 13. 80s with 3.91 gears, I put a set of 360 heads on it and it ran 13.30s, then I pulled the 10 inch convertor and put in a T/A 8 inch and it went 12.60s. I sold it when I fixed the 340 and often wish I would have kept it.

I really like this thread. And yes there are a lot of 318 cars out there that are fast. A few (very few) race cars. My car is 318 powered bracket car. It was/is a budget build so its far from the fastest. Its a 69 Satellite original engine. Never been bored. Junk yard 360 heads. I cleaned them up, installed DC single springs to match the DC cam which is .455 lift & 268 duration. Cheapo Black Jack headers. Swap Meet Eddy dual plane. Double row T chain, Stock oil pan with no nothing. Hi presure DC oil pump. Eddy 600 universal carb. PTC 3k stall vert. The original A904 manual VB & deep pan & Mancini Racing "race" trans overhaul kit. 4.10 gears with spool. 29X 10 Hoosiers Car wet with driver 3200 pounds I have scaled it at 4 different tracks & its always within 15 pounds up or down. I spent my money & time on lightening the car. My thinking was once it done its done unless I crash it. OK its a budget build. Have been racing it for 8 plus years. About $1200.00 in the engine. Another $1200 in the trans & yes about $1200 in the rear. I mostly run 1/8 mile races & the best is 8.47. A few quarter mile passes & best of 13.84 in 90 degree plus heat & 70 humidity. I shift at a lazy 4600 so as to not hurt those 40 years old stock cast pistons. It pulls strong well past that. I have added a 1 inch spacer & have not had a chance to get it back out as I am recovering from a Prostectomy. So hopefully soon I can get back to VMP & make a 1/4 pass & now that the weather is cooling I am thinking a 13.6? It really makes me wonder if I had the money to build a proper (not a killer) 318 & maybe 4.56 gears & spin it to 5600 if I could get her in the 12's. Just good basic parts & spend some time with a machine shop. Anyway I put much faster & more expensive cars on the trailer often. Cause its a bracket car. Rock on 318 fans!!! I have 3 more of the little buggers. 2 where give to me to make room in the guys engine bay for a 440.

View attachment satellite drag car 037.jpg

View attachment time ticket 044.jpg

View attachment decals%20001.jpg

I really like this thread. And yes there are a lot of 318 cars out there that are fast. A few (very few) race cars. My car is 318 powered bracket car. It was/is a budget build so its far from the fastest. Its a 69 Satellite original engine. Never been bored. Junk yard 360 heads. I cleaned them up, installed DC single springs to match the DC cam which is .455 lift & 268 duration. Cheapo Black Jack headers. Swap Meet Eddy dual plane. Double row T chain, Stock oil pan with no nothing. Hi presure DC oil pump. Eddy 600 universal carb. PTC 3k stall vert. The original A904 manual VB & deep pan & Mancini Racing "race" trans overhaul kit. 4.10 gears with spool. 29X 10 Hoosiers Car wet with driver 3200 pounds I have scaled it at 4 different tracks & its always within 15 pounds up or down. I spent my money & time on lightening the car. My thinking was once it done its done unless I crash it. OK its a budget build. Have been racing it for 8 plus years. About $1200.00 in the engine. Another $1200 in the trans & yes about $1200 in the rear. I mostly run 1/8 mile races & the best is 8.47. A few quarter mile passes & best of 13.84 in 90 degree plus heat & 70 humidity. I shift at a lazy 4600 so as to not hurt those 40 years old stock cast pistons. It pulls strong well past that. I have added a 1 inch spacer & have not had a chance to get it back out as I am recovering from a Prostectomy. So hopefully soon I can get back to VMP & make a 1/4 pass & now that the weather is cooling I am thinking a 13.6? It really makes me wonder if I had the money to build a proper (not a killer) 318 & maybe 4.56 gears & spin it to 5600 if I could get her in the 12's. Just good basic parts & spend some time with a machine shop. Anyway I put much faster & more expensive cars on the trailer often. Cause its a bracket car. Rock on 318 fans!!! I have 3 more of the little buggers. 2 where give to me to make room in the guys engine bay for a 440.
What a SWEET looking B-body

By the way, forget hurting that 318. Let me tell ya, I have a "drag park" friend that spun a stock block 318 7200 rpm's every weekend for 4 years. I shift my '85 318 (never disassembled 100% stock block) 4800 rpm's all the time. A friend bought a dart from me 15 yrs ago, and that 318 with 340 cam, 360 heads and TQ turns 5500 rpm's and though the car doesn't get driven much, it is still on that 15 yrs old rebuild. Let your teen run, I'd shift at whatever rpm gives you your best E.T. and let your mind rest in peace.

I sprayed my J head 318 to the same times as my 408 without the juice. I never ran the spray on the 1/4, but the 1/8 it would do 7.90s which is the same as my 408. The 408 runs 11.7s at close to sea level. So, high 11s on the sprayed 318 back then.

By the way, forget hurting that 318. Let me tell ya, I have a "drag park" friend that spun a stock block 318 7200 rpm's every weekend for 4 years. I shift my '85 318 (never disassembled 100% stock block) 4800 rpm's all the time. A friend bought a dart from me 15 yrs ago, and that 318 with 340 cam, 360 heads and TQ turns 5500 rpm's and though the car doesn't get driven much, it is still on that 15 yrs old rebuild. Let your teen run, I'd shift at whatever rpm gives you your best E.T. and let your mind rest in peace.

Yea a lot of guys tell me it will live at 6K for a long time. I have spun it to 5K & it picked up a tenth. I just dont want to hurt it. I have enough parts around here I can probably put another one together for next to nothing. Just dont have the time. I have other projects. The racing is my stress reliver (now that I no longer run local track points LOL) I was thinking about advancing the cam 4 degrees this winter. Always wanted to try that. She needs more bottom end on those 1/8 mile tracks & I think that may be the ticket. It would be cool to see some other 318 guys post up their combo's. Mopar Muscel had a 318 build up a few years ago that got close to 400 HP. They spent a lot of time in the machine shop though. Zero deck, multi angle valves, new slugs, seems like they worked the rods too. Darn good read.

Well that's it for the season, 13.7 starting over .300 late was my best. Must rebuild long block. I'm getting to much smoking and I am not confident in the craftsmanship of the previous build. I will post all progress
on this thread. And be very confident I am building a new 318! ! This is a 1/4 mile race car! !!

So I went faster than anything I remember seeing in this thread. Am I disqualified for spraying it??

-
Back