who has the fastest 318 ?!!!

-
He put dual quads on and dropped a 1/2 second, so now he has etched it in stone that his 318 needs about 1000 cfm's..... to run a best of 13.7 !!!

P.S. I bet the post above that saw the 318 go 11.70's had a single four barrel on it.... Just a bet! :) Did I mention I saw a 340 go 10.90's with a TQ on a factory cast intake?? In an all steel '71 Demon---all motor? no boost or NOS?

I very much believe my LD4B with the center cut out for single plane would be faster. That setup got me a 15.4on cool eveevening. Put the dual quad tunnel ram on and went on a hot afternoon two weeks later and got a 14.8- first pass then put on slicks and got a 14.2 @96mph. Then I put the battery in the back, took out the heater/ ac from under the dash, gutted the doors 52 lbs each! , and put a little electric motor to run the water pump and fan. Went back out- first pass 13.7 @98mph.

i would like to run a six race series in Woodburn oregon 60 miles from my home next year called "the hole in the hood" series. Again the dual quad tunnel ram and pistol grip 4-speed is something that I must work with because it's - it's - it's cool as? Uncomparable !! It is the coolest thing ever! !!!!
I know a single playing is going to be faster ultimately but I want a dual quad tunnel ram and pistol grip 4-speed! !!!
Dose anybody have some suggestions for my 318 to work with this situation this over carbureted mess that I must have?:banghead:

If the dude likes a tunnelram so be it!,Ive known a few guys that like them and are happy-theres a couple on this board.J-par,if you want pm me,I have a forged 318 crank and may be able to help you with some diy head porting,its all about low bucks for me lol.

I'm totally with you on that low budget thing. The steel crank is something I am looking for. The personal email which I'm not good with yet, or I would contact you if I have to I'll post my phone number thank you and thank you to all the other people out here trying to give me good advice !!

It's as simple is this: Your dual quads is an rpm thing, so you need to do as much as possible to help flow/rpm's. For the budget, I'd use ported 360 heads (you can port at home with a dremel), a bigger cam, and if it's in the budget to bore it, bore it as much as you can safely bore it (sonic test the cylinders). This is about as low budget as you can get.

P.S. If you are not going to spin it over 6500 rpm's, you do not need a steel crank at all. Have a dragway friend that spun his 7200 rpm's for 4 yrs. Cast cranks are lighter and thus will rev faster.

If you want max power n/a and dont mind the expense of race gas compression makes a small engine big.

It's as simple is this: Your dual quads is an rpm thing, so you need to do as much as possible to help flow/rpm's. For the budget, I'd use ported 360 heads (you can port at home with a dremel), a bigger cam, and if it's in the budget to bore it, bore it as much as you can safely bore it (sonic test the cylinders). This is about as low budget as you can get.

P.S. If you are not going to spin it over 6500 rpm's, you do not need a steel crank at all. Have a dragway friend that spun his 7200 rpm's for 4 yrs. Cast cranks are lighter and thus will rev faster.

Thank you 318 will run! I didn't know the cast crank is lighter? I will take this into consideration.
I had the same thinking about high RPM's. I really like to look at some of those Hughes cams?
Like the ones with the 3000 to 7200 sweet spot !! But I think I would need adjustable rockers and probably a whole roller assembly?

Lunati has a sweet cam they recommended for my 273 4speed. I'm running two 450cfm holleys on a old edelbrock tunnel ram. My car is real light though. I look up the cam they recommended if your interested. I get a lot of the same oh it's over carbed but my 4bbl was tuned great while I broke the motor in and with the t-ram it lost very little down low and pulls far stronger mid and upper rpm.

Lunati has a sweet cam they recommended for my 273 4speed. I'm running two 450cfm holleys on a old edelbrock tunnel ram. My car is real light though. I look up the cam they recommended if your interested. I get a lot of the same oh it's over carbed but my 4bbl was tuned great while I broke the motor in and with the t-ram it lost very little down low and pulls far stronger mid and upper rpm.

sure I'd love to hear any suggestions you have! My 73 duster is just about as light as I can get it. I might be able to shed another hundred pounds or so? I'm not too worried about anything down low I drop the clutch at the starting line about 4 grand, and I never see anything below that to the finish line.

I have a 73 duster. I want to take my 318 to it's limits!
I know- do a stoker 360- same money a big block-
Bla- Bla- Bla NO! I'LL SAY IT AGAIN 318 TO ITS LIMIT!!

so here we go- please post (your) fastest 1/4 mile time
318 block !
Please give time slip pics (if available? )
Motor combo's ?
transmission ?
Rear end ?
Tires ?
I wonder how far that little under dog can go! ??????.......:finga:

Lets not forget where this started!
I notes that these threads get too far off subject to fast

I have a budget started for the 318 rebuild! Of course when I call the machine shop
they said "why do you want to build a 318 for drag racing? !" lol personal preference
i told them. i want the fastest 318! I've read the articles on the 400 HP 318's and I'm
skeptical to say the least. On this thread I will list the cost and combo's I will use. And
of course the ET results! :) please remember I'm not some fancy shop that has a 273 steel
crank sitting on the back shelf that I'm going to use. everything I use I will have to find pay for or do without.I will not have an unlimited budget with the team of machinist and a big dyno machine trying to make everything work perfect.this will be like me and you put it together in my garage and making it happen at the drag strip! you know real pride stuff? what convinced me I must do this on my own is the machine shop when he said that I should give them a bunch of money and let them do it and put my name on it. !? now with my high school auto shop teacher Mr kingham be looking down on me with pride right now if I did that? I think not! I will do him proud! like al bundy had four touchdowns in one game in high school I took 2 years of auto shop in high school I can do it! Lol

Just build something cool lol and if it doesn't work, well.... you don't have to post the truth

Block prep budget in tack. Should be less than two weeks now.
I'm thinking eagle I beam connecting rods (for weight& price)
And kb hyperutectic domed pistons ( for weight/compression/price)
Shop said they'll sell me a steel crank for 80 bucks ( unless I can get one
at the swapmeet tomorrow more cheep)
ARP BOLTS
Any objections to the bottom end so far?

Now down to a week before motor pullout. (Landed in new shop today in new home-must get moved in
and honey-doo's done first! )
But " hold the fort! " I'm thinking stroker! ???
about $200 more for the crank ?
$200 more for pistons
same rods, well after research scatt I beam not eagle.
I'm still determined to use the 318 block & dual quad tunnel ram.
I'll have to get on the horn with Hughes performance about the cam again.

But " hold the fort! " I'm thinking stroker! ???
about $200 more for the crank ?
$200 more for pistons
same rods, well after research scatt I beam not eagle.
I'm still determined to use the 318 block & dual quad tunnel ram.
I'll have to get on the horn with Hughes performance about the cam again.

So after all that - it's going to be a 390 anyway? Sounds like the cheapo cast crank for that money. You're better off running a273 crank...

well we're going to have to scratch this thread. it's just so much cheaper to build a 360 motor then a 318 and that even includes buying a core motor.I'm going to start a new thread tonight when I get home to give the reasons why and how.

-
Back