Who here has high blood pressure?

-
I've got minimal problems. Not overweight, and do exercise regularly. I take a small 50mg pill of Metoprolol each morning. Doc says its just a precautionary thing.

Just remember when You lose 30+pounds that Your Doctor needs to re-adjust the blood press. meds. Mine didn't and I was blacking out and getting dizzy. Not fun if You're driving heavy machinery. Be safe and take care of Yourself.

As some of you know I'm a CRNA ( Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist). So this is a topic I can speak to. For all of you talking about the cough it is the ACE inhibitors that cause this. That is any drug that ends in "pril" such as lisinopril. If the cough is bothersome which it is for most people. Simply ask your doctor for a different Bp med.

Next topic is the advice to take COQ-10. DON'T DO IT!! Unless prescribed by a physician. I have personally seen this stuff put patients in liver failure. Someone told them to take it so they did, then the mentality of "if one is good two is better" kicks in. Next thing you know you are dying of liver failure. I'm not saying anyone who takes COQ-10 is going to die. I'm just saying be very careful.

I had a stroke ,never been the same since, i now have to take 3 pills a day,1 for high blood pressure,1 for clostroll and 1 do to thin out my blood.

Count me in too.
Take 3 pills for B/P and have had at least 3 TIA's (mini strokes) that we are aware of.
Strokes are the worst, rather have a heart attack than a stroke, at least you know whats happening.
Worst person in the world for taking care of myself, I try, but some days are easier than others.

I take three BP meds. I have been on an assortment of them for 25+ years. I am on my second kidney transplant and have had almost two years of Dialysis then almost another 2 years of Dialysis after my first transplant was all used up.

My kidney disease was the start of the kidney failure which then brought on high blood pressure which kills off kidneys FAST.

Exercise, Exercise, Exercise!!!

Walk if you can, ride bikes, or swim. Whatever you can do will help your cardiovascular system. I will never be free of BP meds but the better health I am in means the lower doses or using less of them. Less BP meds usually means less side effects and higher quality of life.

I think I have added salt to my food once in 25 years. You get used to not having it. After a while food starts to taste good again. :)

I was on 3 blood pressure meds for over 30 years. I was also very overweight at 5’ 8” & 270 lbs. You can read my story that was in the local newspaper here on Long Island- Just google “Moneta Family Newsday”
I am living proof that things can change-if you want them to. I am off all meds & currently weigh in the 170’s & exercise 3 days a week. I also became a health coach. I work with people who are ready to learn the habits of good health.
Talk to your doctor. You can also contact me I can help you start on your journey.
-Lou

i was at the point that the dr. wanted to put me on BP medication and cholesterol medication. i told the doc no way will i go on that poison. dicked around for a year then got my head out of my ***. started going to a class at the gym. blood work got better but not good enough. then went to a nutritionist and bam. from march to july 2012 i took off 40 pounds. blood work is in the perfect range. no need to even think about that medication now. on top of that i feel like i'm in my 20's again.. its freaking awesome. diet along with exercise is the key. once i learned that i couldn't out work a poor diet things changed and changed fast..

Watch your medications for side effects. My dad had high blood pressure and was taking medications for it, then developed lymphoma (some of the side effects of some blood pressure medicine). He went through one round of chemo and it didn't help the lymphoma. They were about to give him more aggressive chemo and he collapsed in the neighbor's driveway while taking the mail from her box to the door (she was 92). He had a blood vessel pop in his head and bleed out through his eyes, ears, and nose.

We feel that the combination of medications had resulted in the condition that lead to his death.

My brother's doctor told him that he had high blood pressure and wanted to put him on medication, he said, "no thanks I'll take my chances"...

I do! I just started Lisinopril a couple days ago.
I need to lose 30 lbs, quit smoking, cut back on caffeine, and exercise.

I am starting with losing weight, and cutting back on coffee.

I'm interested in any experience you guys have with high blood pressure.
I've been feeling a little freaked out about it.

Harry,
I have high blood Pressure, and am on the following:
*Plavix
*Diovan - Valsartan
*Metoprolol

And last but not least, a chewable baby Asprin every day.....

I'm not over weight, I used to smoke (I quit almost a year ago, in March).
Been Diabetic since I was 2....
Got High Cholesterol.
And, here it comes, last January, 2013, I fell and broke my right hand (I'm right handed mind you) and thought it was a curse.....Low and behold, it wasn't a curse, as.....about half way through the healing of my right hand, my left hand, decides its going to go numb!

NOW that sensation scared the ****, right outta me! Its a sign.....of an on-coming heart attack, in my family, they all say, to this day, left hand goes numb, get a visit to your PCP, within the WEEK of that happening, (it SAVED my life!)

I went to see my regular doctor, went through a Stress Test, passed with flying colors, had a Echocardiogram, again, passed with flying colors. BUT, they seen something on the left side of my heart, which made that test result lead into a Heart Cath. This test, found that I A. had no Heart Attack. and B. I need a triple bypass surgery, atleast, possibly a quadruple bypass surgery!!!!!!! The minute, I heard this, was the minute I quit smoking BTW!!!!!

I had this done! April 30th 2013.....I am partially recovered from the surgery at this time, BUT more to come.....As the broken hand was healing still, It kept me from shoveling the snow and such on the tail-end of winter, last year in January, which prevented me from having a heart attack!!!!!

The surgery, itself, was not of the standard surgery because of me, having Diabetes. They did not want to use the vessels from my legs to do the by passes. Reason? It causes Diabetic Neuropathy, which I have never been diagnosed with! SO, they used my Mammary vessels to do the bypasses, which GREATLY slows down the healing process, and ups the possible infection rate. I came out on top, with none of this, but a little never damage with the location of the surgery. BUT, here recently, I have had a sensation of my legs, tiring out, rapidly, and had gone to the doctor for it, and turns out, the whole bypass surgery, haven't 100% worked. The locations of possibly 2 vessel bypasses, healed, but it healed and gained scar tissue, which has narrows the vessels on my heart a bit enough to have slow blood flow to my legs.... This, I just found out, last Wednesday! So, I'll be going through some sort of treatment, again. NOT open heart tho!

The best advice, I could give you is, A. LISTEN to your doctor, stop smoking, (I know its hard, but for your health, you must!)
DO not push yourself to the brink, but try to loose a bit of weight, this too isn't going to be easy.

Coffee? They're crazy! (Coffee with cream only), is my newest addiction and I have been told, its a much better one then any other one I could get, and it is actually good for your heart, as it builds that muscle stronger!

Meds, as its said be careful! They ALL have side-effects and the "pril" that your one, has a "cough" side-effect, as I was once on it and had to have it changed to the Diovan, as it gave me a serious chronic cough side effect that I just couldn't handle and would literally keep me up at night! You develop a seriously non-progressive cough, talk to your doctor about it.. that's the on set of that side effect!

All in all, do what you can and better your health, but do it at a pace, you (and I DO mean, "YOU") ... can live with! your not a super hero, and you can't change everything they want, over night......And even if you could, it be a shock to your body as we as humans weren't ment to have such fast drastic changes to our everyday life.

Hope this helps, your not alone!

Ohh for all those who read this.............. I'm not as old as that --------^ may make me out to be, I turned 35 this past September!

WOW. I certainly hope things work out for you. Man, you have been through the wringer! I appreciate all the advice and you sharing your story.

I am in the loop too. I have to take Linsinopril and Hydrchlorthiazide and now a cholesteral pill.... ufff.... Im not that overweight and am pretty active and really dont eat tons of crap. Just my build up I guess....hate popping pills...

-RPM

Harry, others.....THANKS! I have been through the wringer...I'm doing OK, I have to say, I will be going back for something.

I say this as I had about a week ago seen my regular doctor, and found that my legs tire out quickly, more then ever before, turns out that its found that on one possibly 2 of my vessel bypasses had gotten scar tissue on them, which narrowed the vessels that lead into my legs.....Not a big issue, (only if it closes the vessels over 50% can it lead to a heart attack......) BUT, I suspect that I'll be going in for a stent or Angioplasty will be the procedure administered but nothing like open heart as the bypass surgery was done.....

Just remember this. how do you eat an elephant? (NOT the Hemi! LOL) ONE bite at a TIME! Its all up from here for me.. it will get better guys for those of you that's not fallen into this, take your time, get well life life to its fullest, healthy wise and you'll be OK.....

So far so good. My blood pressure has come down to normal with the lisinopril. Also, I just joined the local "planet fitness" and started using the treadmill.

Harry,
Good to hear... I got good news as well....(BESIDES the fact that I found the posting.....LOL

I may have said, but last Wednesday, I went through a "Nuclear" Stress Test. the Doctor called that night to tell me "Your test came back abnormal" you need to call your Cardiologist and get a check-up with him. So, I did....

I seen him Friday.....He tells me, the stress test came back "abnormal" due to the same reasons I went through open heart surgery in the first place, so they were really just detecting old cardiac issues.....There are NO news ones.. The tiring of the legs can be a few things, the change in diet, the type of exercise that I been doing not the same as it once was before the surgery, and medication, SO they have me dropping one of my meds for the week.....See if anything changes in that time. IF not, there is one more they're going to drop for a week after going back on the med I'm off now (tracking it down so to speak) So.......Its nothing more, just wrong with me, per-say but.....Something bring it on, that I will get to the bottom of.:wack:

But over-all doing well! Thanks for getting back to me on the PM to find the message here.....

So the rest of you in this, take your time, be careful and stay healthy...............heart healthy, and give up them DAMNED cancer/heart-killing sticks!

Can't believe nobody said it, LOL

"After coming here I have high blood pressure," LOL

graphics-lol-593314.GIF

67Dart,
I got all this ****, WAY before I came to FABO!!!!!! LOL BUT the other thread on Mopars and chicks, WILL RAISE blood pressure! LMAO!

Seen the doc that is treating my Asthma today. Guess the combination of the blood pressure pill/coq10 & an hour a day on the treadmill is helping...have not lost but a pound or two but my BP is 106-66. Nurse checked both arms, they were within a few digits of each other...

IJ,
That's VERY good news! the more/longer you do this, the better as it will help!

It takes time and determination to keep it up tho.....

IJ,
That's VERY good news! the more/longer you do this, the better as it will help!

It takes time and determination to keep it up tho.....

Going for a sleep study next week, my primary care doc is thinking that my serious sleep troubles are the blame for me having zippo for energy...and my inability to lose any weight.
Been on the treadmill enough that I wore out the original belt....and it's replacement is on the way out. I was once told that it takes 21 days to make or break a habit...I am convinced it is true. Before if I missed one day on the treadmill it would lead to another then another. Anymore, no matter how miserable I feel, I get on the treadmill. Used to be if I was not on it by 6 at night I would not bother....last week I got busy and had to skip a day....or so I thought....I could not make myself skip it, ended up getting on it at 9:30 at night. I feel better than I have in a while, used to be on the end hole of the belt now I am 3 in. Have made up my mind that if I do have sleep apnea I will not blow off getting the cpap...

-
Back