Who here lifts weights?

-
Could you elaborate on that? I'm kind of clueless to a bunch of the methods/particular exercises.

When I work out, there's tons of stuff I'm missing, because I'm not sure what exercises fit the bill.

As far as freeweights go there are many exercises that can be done to focus on different areas of a muscle just by changing your grip. Say on curls with a "W" (EZ curl bar) changing between the wide grip and close grip will workout the inside and outside areas of your biceps. Hammer curls (dumbells held vertical instead of horizontal) vs. standard curls. For triceps doing extensions on a bench, tricep pulldowns, and presses (either using a standard bar or "W" bar). The easiest thing to do is look for exercises online you can do with what equipment you have. Bodybuilding dot com I just looked at and they seem to have a good selection and description of what your looking for. Try to get every muscle group, lats, back, shoulders, etc. Even on your legs just don't do say one type of squats and lunges, add in things like calf raises and leg curls. Also the whole motion of the exercise is important. A curl isn't just the upward lift then droping the weight back down to your side. The downward part should take just as long, slowly lowering it controlled and keeping the muscles involved. 50/50 through the whole range of movement.

I lifted for years, and have held many world records, at 148 I can squat 435# and dead lift almost 500, IPA, AAU, USPF,and many others , not bad for someone in there middle fifties...

DAMN! That's impressive! :cheers: I'm also in my mid-fifties. What's your feeling about testosterone boosters?

I went to school and when I got my B.S. in science I was very interested in athletic performance and training so I got a minor in exercise science and nutrition and what I learned is keep the process as simple as possible. It can become very complicated and comprehensive if you want to take it to extremes but very often it isn't necessary. You guys are right the diet and adequate rest is just as important as how you train. Those three exercises you talked about squat, deadlift and bench press are the three most effective compound exercises. But other movements should be incorporated to balance your body. Think of it like this: everyone sees the guy that trains upper body but never does abs or lower body. Well that individual has a much greater chance of getting injured due to an inbalanced body. I would keep those three exercises as the main staple but ad in other important movements to work other important areas of the body. E.g. Back, Tricep, Bicep, Shoulders, Calves, Abs. General rule of thumb if you muscles hurt from being sore wait until they are mostly healed to train. By not allowing adequate time to heal you are not getting the best bang for the buck. Variety is the spice of life. Meaning training 5 X 5 in the major lifts will work quite well initially but for the long haul you will have to make changes to continue to make progress and keep the body guessing. What works very well for many if beginning to weight train is 3x week. 2 days spent on upper body movements and 1x week concentrate on lower body. After 2 or 3 months change up the exercises and introduce different movements. It is true you can train calves and abs more frequently than other muscle groups because they usually heal quicker but don't train them when sore. Vary your reps on your exercises doing 5 reps all the time will not have the same benefits as somtimes doing 6-8 reps and somtimes doing 12+ reps. This will prevent your body from adapting. Remember over time doing the same thing repetively becomes easy and the results diminish. Fat will never turn to muscle and muscle will never become fat. Two totally different tissues. You can loose fat and build muscle at the same time however. I graduated high school as a wrestler 135 lbs 5'10". 6 yrs later 24 yrs old 215 lbs 10% bodyfat same height by practicing what I learned and experimenting (no steroids). I'm now 41 and way about 210 still live very healthy active lifestyle just always fighting to keep the fat off dilema. Not a spring chicken anymore. Not trying to be a know it all just passionate about this stuff. Also used to also be a nationally certified strength coach and help rehab athletes yrs back before my current job.

Carl

As mentioned by a few, diet is key to getting bigger, as is adequate sleep. I sleep between 7-8 hours a night, which is all I can squeeze in. As for diet, I eat an extremely clean diet of 3,200 - 3,500 calories a day (I count calories at myfitnesspal.com), tracking carbs, protein, fat, sugar and sodium intake.

I DO include accessory lifts, but am seeing much better increases in strength and size doing Stronglifts 5x5 (with just a few accessory lifts) than I did after months of six-day-a-week split routines. I'll change things up when I plateau, but for now, I'm very pleased with my progress.

I reckon I do alright for not going to a Gym or exercising.....I lift, one handed, CAT 797 2nd reduction carrier planet gear pins ( thats a mouthful ) that weigh 84 lbs from the carrier basket to the bench......and I have lifted off the ground and put onto a pallet jack, a CAT 789 Primary carrier housing, weighing in at 293 lbs....didn't know that at the time though....but I knew it was damn heavy.....and I have lifted CAT 793 rear wheel bearings off the ground and into a scrap metal bin.....they weigh about 200 lbs......have to admire people that can do it and stick to it....going to the Gym, that is.
I'm 6'4" and 253 lbs....and have a beer gut ( not from drinking beer either.....from a wife that feeds me too much.....:) ).
My job also involves hanging off the end of a Tension wrench too....anywhere from 80 ft/lb to 900 ft/lb......and the little light fellas.....haven't a hope.....poor bugga's.....bouncing on the end of a tension wrench and not getting anywhere.

i lift but not to get size. do a lot of body weight working out. i don't want to bulk up a lot. we work our entire body in an hour. its a pretty cool class that i do. i try to get there 3 times a week but my work schedule doesn't always allow it. every week we change things up. some weekd we work more strength, some weeks its more cardio. its a really good balance. i have lost weight, cardio improved an incredible amount, actually gained size all over and gained a lot of strength.

I wouldn't do the squats too much. Think of the stress that puts on your joints. A guy at work retired early because his knees were destroyed from competitive weight lifting. I rarely lift weights, preferring aerobic exercise like biking, running, and swimming. I too was skin and bones at 16, and only 165 lb in grad school at 6'1". Later, busy with kids and work, I grew to 225 lb. My wake-up was when my wife filmed me playing basketball against my boys, and I barely recognized the fat slob. I wondered why I got winded so fast. Now I stay at 200 lb by biking 24 mi to work. Any lapse and I start becoming my grandpa again.

The one and only thing missing from this all is the one thing I have a huge amount of trouble obtaining for myself (Due to work schedule)

Dedication!

In order to obtain results, you have to have some. Other than that, generally speaking, great advice. While I never have been considered big at any time, healthy with a decent build is about at best what I have achieved. And that is OK by me. Now, it's a fight to get to the gym or the basement for any type of routine consistently for a result other than staying fit at best.

Lift safe, do not try to over lift a weight as in a sudden jump of weight to lift. Have a spotter with the free weights.

I graduated H/S at 5' 9" 135lbs and was by far the strongest for my weight, benching 265, squatting 350, cleaning 225, I was also a running back and my football coach was pretty ticked I didn't go out my senior year :)
Well, I kept lifting weights and then started taking supplements, eventually I worked up to 155. I quit lifting around 2005 due to busyness and school and eventually getting married in 2009. I still weighed around 155 but it had somehow become not as ripped and semi-fat and hairy.lol January 2010 I hit it hard with the support of my wife. I swear by Gaspari Nutrition products and most importantly a good diet. I went from 155 to 195 from Jan to August and you could still see my abs.
I competed in my first Bodybuilding Competition in October 2010 in Denver and cut down to 164lbs, which I prob could of cut to around 160 but would've lost some more size. Of course, still in school and working full time, the last year I haven't lifted a single weight...but I'm now walking around at 175 and still have definition...20lbs up and keeping it from a year ago...that tells me diet had a ton to do with it.
I used to have chicken legs too...19" upper/13.5" calves lol. I started doing squats with light weight (90lbs) and trying to use perfect form as much as I could and would go all the way down and touch my glutes to my calves. Also the leg press, touching my knees to my chest. If you're not gonna do em right, might as well not do em at all. Every time I'd be in the gym, dudes would load the sled or the squat bar up with 45's and only go down 1/4 of the way, maybe, and think they're tough stuff....why don't you go down all the way with that brother. That's right, you'd crap yourself, that's why.
My calves recently were 16.25" and my upper (quads) were at 26"...so good form and doing it right pays off...even if you look like a wimp...just have to lose the ego. Now, the guys stare at you when you're doing 3 sets of 225 touching your glutes to your calves. Also, when doing seated, standing, or donkey calf raises, lower the weight slowly and explode up, just don't bounce the weight...actually let your calves flex at the top for a sec and feel it burn.
As far as sets and reps, you need to change it up every 6-12 weeks depending on how quickly your body adapts to it...also depends on if your body frame is either an endomorph, ectomorph or mesomorph.
I would do like 6x6 or 5x5 or 6,5,4,3,2 as heavy as I can for about 6 weeks. Then jump up to like 3x8-10 for 8-10 weeks, then like 4or5x12-15 for like 12 or more weeks, depending on how my body responds and how I feel.
Also, my opinion on supplements: Use supplements to help you through your work out, make the diet your primary source of nutrition...good clean foods are always best.
Just take a look at my after/before photos. Oh yeah, I'm 30yo. And, the before pic was taken Jan 2010, the after pic, Oct 2010. Steroid free. That's what good food, the right training, and the right supplements (Gaspari) will do in 10 months.

Attachments

• DSC_0061.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0858.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 96
^^^ that is insane. Congrats on all of your hard work/ dedication. I'm not tryin to thread jack but coul you recommend some tips for losin. Weight while building muscle? I'm trying to get more cut and defined but I have a few pounds I gotta lose before I see that definition.

i workout minimum 4 times per week .... cardio and lifting .. but as you get older it is called Pain Management ..... my body tells me when it is time to lift again or take a couple of days off ... especially due to the war injuries acquired throughout the years .... It took a year of continous dedication to working out ... which allowed my body to withstand a rigorous work out ... Now i can honestly say that it takes 1-2 days for my body to stop hurting after a workout ... and approaching the big 50 i would say that is OK... Key is to eat right most of the time , take VITAMINS , and get GOOD sleep ... Keep in mind working out relieves stress ... BUT during a workout your mind and body is under stress ... especially heavy lifting ...

Varlo ..... you need to BURN more calories than taking in per day ... you do the math ... i would say ... count on burning MINIMUM 300-400 calories when doing a workout ... which equals roughly 1 hour of cardio ... on the treadmill , olyptical etc.......

I lift kitchen appliances every day. Been doing this for 24 yrs and my arms are big. But as I progress towards old age, I find that my body is getting worn out from the constant repetitive having to get up and down from installing dishwashers. Never used to bother me but now lots of pain in the knee joints and lower back. I will continue to do this for a living as it's all I have ever done but the mind says go and the body says no. I figure I need to work another 12-17 yrs before I retire.

I went from 155 to 195 from Jan to August and you could still see my abs...
I started doing squats with light weight (90lbs) and trying to use perfect form as much as I could and would go all the way down and touch my glutes to my calves...If you're not gonna do em right, might as well not do em at all...As far as sets and reps, you need to change it up every 6-12 weeks depending on how quickly your body adapts to it...also depends on if your body frame is either an endomorph, ectomorph or mesomorph....Oh yeah, I'm 30yo. And, the before pic was taken Jan 2010, the after pic, Oct 2010. Steroid free. That's what good food, the right training, and the right supplements (Gaspari) will do in 10 months.

Impressive results. I'd like to know how you gained 40 lbs. in eight months and kept your bodyfat low. I've gained 6.5 lbs. over the past 10 weeks, but my bf went up 3%. My goal is to get to 170 (16 more lbs.), then do a cut back to 162, give or take. Of course, not to make excuses, but at 53, I don't have the testosterone to build muscle like a 30-year old. The supps I take are mainly bpi.

One nice thing about the 5x5 program is that they stress form over weight. I started squats 10 weeks ago at 95, and yesterday, I did my working sets with 230. ***-to-grass, baby!

Got 2 benches at the bottom of the basement stairs,....I try to do a rep of something everytime I walk by the benches,...mostly shrugs, curls, and presses,...not to get big mind you, but toned,...just enough so's I can sling wrenches on those gawd awful firetrucks that I work on,...an do stonework and gardening around the house, and ladder a building with full firegear without straining/hurtin myself...

Impressive results. I'd like to know how you gained 40 lbs. in eight months and kept your bodyfat low.

One nice thing about the 5x5 program is that they stress form over weight. I started squats 10 weeks ago at 95, and yesterday, I did my working sets with 230. ***-to-grass, baby!

Lol, yeah about the squats! That's the only way to do em.
As far as my B/F it was around 16% when I was 195 if I remember correctly, but that also depends on how much water/sodium is in there too. Go for most of your day without water and test your b/f, it will be higher, then go and drink about 2-3 glasses of water, wait about 30 min then test again, it'll be lower. Or it may be the other way around, regardless, that effects it too. At 164 I didn't even measure the b/f, I just relied on what the mirror showed me, as the judges at the comp don't measure b/f but the way you look and present yourself. I ate mostly lean stuff while gaining, chicken, sirloin, 90/10 beef, oatmeal, egg whites, tuna, pasta, and worked out hard, heavy, and intense...my legs gained most of the size and weight, I'm sure. lol

-
Back