Who here lifts weights?

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
I was skinny pretty much my whole life and decided a couple of years ago to get in shape. I did a few rounds of P90X, but wanted to get bigger.

I've finally hit on a routine that seems to help me grow. I started doing Stronglifts 5x5 about 9 weeks ago and have gained 6 pounds over that time! 5x5 focuses on the three main lifts (Squats, Deadlifts and Bench Press) with a couple of supplementary lifts. 3 workouts a week, and you do squats every workout. 5 sets and 5 reps per set, and you add 5 lbs. to the bar each time you do a particular exercise. That means adding 15 lbs./week for squats.

I currently weigh 153 lbs. and today I squated 225 lbs. for the first time! In 2 weeks, I'll be squating 260 lbs.!

I was skinny pretty much my whole life and decided a couple of years ago to get in shape. I did a few rounds of P90X, but wanted to get bigger.

I've finally hit on a routine that seems to help me grow. I started doing Stronglifts 5x5 about 9 weeks ago and have gained 6 pounds over that time! 5x5 focuses on the three main lifts (Squats, Deadlifts and Bench Press) with a couple of supplementary lifts. 3 workouts a week, and you do squats every workout. 5 sets and 5 reps per set, and you add 5 lbs. to the bar each time you do a particular exercise. That means adding 15 lbs./week for squats.

I currently weigh 153 lbs. and today I squated 225 lbs. for the first time! In 2 weeks, I'll be squating 260 lbs.!

Surely you're diversifying your routine more than that? Jumping up in weight like that just leads to pooping yourself mid-lift, in my opinion. I take it slow and work on higher reps, and good form, myself.

12oz curls works for me too.

On a serious note Im almost 6ft tall and weigh 150lbs. I was 135lb from high school till I stopped smoking 6 years ago. Cant get over the 150 mark.

I lift all the time. You really need to breakup what you're doing. I usually go 5-6 times a week (sometimes 2 or 3 times a day). You really need to get protein in your diet and eat clean. The GNC Amp works really well (it's what I take) and drink 2-3 scoops of it per drink. If you want to lift for longer look into a product called black powder (no its not gun powder, but after you body gets it you'll really like superman!) as far as routine goes you can work you core everytime because it recovers the fastest. Try doing a chest and triceps and core, the next day back and biceps and core, the next day do legs (theres a bunch so the order is up to you) and core. When I started lifting, I could rep 145 15 times no problem. I now rep 315 (or three 45 lbs plates each side with a 45 lbs bar). Understand that the easiest way to get there is to gain mass (you'll end up getting a little fat) then after 6 weeks, to start cutting (lose the weight but muscle) you'll size a little on the max lift but just repeat the process and your golden. Just remember that lifting/working out is only half the battle, what you eat is the other half!8)

"Understand that the easiest way to get there is to gain mass (you'll end up getting a little fat) then after 6 weeks, to start cutting (lose the weight but muscle) you'll size a little on the max lift but just repeat the process and your golden."

So if you get really fat over 20 years can you lift weights and turn into a monster...I am sorry and completely joking. My sedimentary lifestyle since my son was born has taken my weight lifting body and turned it to goo.

Fat stores a lot of energy you just need to work (some cases a lot more then others) really hard and you turn fat in muscle.

I lifted for years, and have held many world records, at 148 I can squat 435# and dead lift almost 500, IPA, AAU, USPF,and many others , not bad for someone in there middle fifties,
I have used the routine you are doing and it will work if you know your limits and do your accessory exercises
Keep up the good work, remember there is more to getting healthy than just lifting weights, diet and exercise are important along with rest

I went to school and when I got my B.S. in science I was very interested in athletic performance and training so I got a minor in exercise science and nutrition and what I learned is keep the process as simple as possible. It can become very complicated and comprehensive if you want to take it to extremes but very often it isn't necessary. You guys are right the diet and adequate rest is just as important as how you train. Those three exercises you talked about squat, deadlift and bench press are the three most effective compound exercises. But other movements should be incorporated to balance your body. Think of it like this: everyone sees the guy that trains upper body but never does abs or lower body. Well that individual has a much greater chance of getting injured due to an inbalanced body. I would keep those three exercises as the main staple but ad in other important movements to work other important areas of the body. E.g. Back, Tricep, Bicep, Shoulders, Calves, Abs. General rule of thumb if you muscles hurt from being sore wait until they are mostly healed to train. By not allowing adequate time to heal you are not getting the best bang for the buck. Variety is the spice of life. Meaning training 5 X 5 in the major lifts will work quite well initially but for the long haul you will have to make changes to continue to make progress and keep the body guessing. What works very well for many if beginning to weight train is 3x week. 2 days spent on upper body movements and 1x week concentrate on lower body. After 2 or 3 months change up the exercises and introduce different movements. It is true you can train calves and abs more frequently than other muscle groups because they usually heal quicker but don't train them when sore. Vary your reps on your exercises doing 5 reps all the time will not have the same benefits as somtimes doing 6-8 reps and somtimes doing 12+ reps. This will prevent your body from adapting. Remember over time doing the same thing repetively becomes easy and the results diminish. Fat will never turn to muscle and muscle will never become fat. Two totally different tissues. You can loose fat and build muscle at the same time however. I graduated high school as a wrestler 135 lbs 5'10". 6 yrs later 24 yrs old 215 lbs 10% bodyfat same height by practicing what I learned and experimenting (no steroids). I'm now 41 and way about 210 still live very healthy active lifestyle just always fighting to keep the fat off dilema. Not a spring chicken anymore. Not trying to be a know it all just passionate about this stuff. Also used to also be a nationally certified strength coach and help rehab athletes yrs back before my current job.

Carl

I work at a feed store so the last thing I want to do after work is lift any thing. I do find the strength to lift a few beers some how.

i used to when i was in the army. i got super ripped and looked like a greek god...after i got out of the army, all that went to ****. now i have almost a wife and a 7 month old baby girl...i work in construction. the last damn thing i wanna do is lift something heavy...LOL after work i get on the couch and eat, drink and wake up at 5am with my clothes still on.....damn....what happened.....

Every time I have to take a leak. :D

Lol. I know what you mean, it takes everything I've got to keep my hammer from knocking the toilet through the floor :finga:

I work out, got a small weight set in the corner of the garage. Not much more than that, although I did discover that old Harmonic Balancers work great for adding weight when you run out of weights :D

I haven't noticed any difference, except that I gained a halfway decent six pack (no not booze or carbs :D ) I'm still 5'11" and 127 pounds... On windy days I have to strap lead weights to my boots :D

I was once told that More Weight/Less Reps equals more muscle mass, and Less Weight/More Reps equals more muscle tone. Which is probably why I haven't noticed much, I was going for less weight/more reps.

Nothing wrong with being skinny. I used to think I was out of shape when I weighed 165 pounds as a 20 year old. I was thin and healthy. Move ahead 10 years, and I ballooned up to 224 (I'm 6'-0"). I was miserable and unhealthy. Since November of last year, I've lost 26 pounds by eating fewer calories each day and walking 3-4 times a week (3.10 miles per walk). When I reach my goal (175 lbs.), I'll be perfectly happy being skinny and healthy again. Not that being ripped is unhealthy or anything. I'm just not sure I want to put on a bunch of muscle, then stop lifting and become fat again.

What I would give to be back under 200lbs! When I started high school I was 130, by the time I graduated I was 180. A couple years after high school I started training with a friend who is a C.O. and power lifter. I got up to 250 lbs. and am only 5'10". These days I feel like an old man with all my aches and pains yet I'm only 32. The main things I have learned over the years is stay away from the gimmick crap, eat healthy, exercise smart (no overkill push till you puke), and keep changing your routine.

As far as the exercises themselves go to get the size you are after don't get stuck doing one type of movement or position for one muscle group. If you are doing an exercise like bench presses don't just do them on a flat bench. Do incline, decline, and also using different grips (close grip, wide grip). I used to do 5 different types of curl methods alone. And don't forget a single muscle. Guys I have seen trying to get bigger arms doing tons of curls but not a single exercise for the triceps.

And don't forget a single muscle. Guys I have seen trying to get bigger arms doing tons of curls but not a single exercise for the triceps.

Could you elaborate on that? I'm kind of clueless to a bunch of the methods/particular exercises.

When I work out, there's tons of stuff I'm missing, because I'm not sure what exercises fit the bill.

I'm 5'10" and 135 pounds. I used to lift weights in high school (25 years ago) but I gave up on that a long time ago. Lifting car parts is all the weight lifting I do now.
~Michael

-
Back