-

Tony Fields

That's How I Roll
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Just curious on how many members we have here that
are self employed. Also if you can share just what is it
that you do and what state you live in. Thanks

Well I kind of am. Work for my dad at the family business. We have a feed store in Anza California. Outlaw Hay And Grain. We have a Peterbilt with a 475 Cat we use to bring hay up from the valley. We also carry Nutrena feeds and other animal food and supplies. People can either come in or we also deliver.

I got my own business. We are three people working with transport and logistic solutions. Started a couple of years ago to help companies with lean production.

self-employed. i buy-sell-trade anything. no jobs here in va

Well, I will be unemployed in a few weeks. Thinking of starting my own something. Just looking at area to see whats needed. I can\will cut grass for food!!!!!

Mobile Benz mechanic since 2004,this has been my worst year ever-nobody spending money on maintenance and repairs any longer, they are just waiting till things break and cost three times the amount that it would have if I caught it in time.
Nobody driving their cars much anymore because they are either laid off or out of work altogether.

Many people have given up looking for jobs.

I've helped three of my customers find jobs just by doing internet searches to help them out.
I got one customer's Husband who's been out of work for 2 years a line on a good job with a railroad company....and he got the job. I should charge a finders fee. ha, ha.

Been self-employed for almost 25 years. Graphic Design work for companies like U.S. Bank, Boston Scientific, RetroUSA Car Accessories and the Minnesota Wild.

Self employed for 10 years, Own a home medical equipment sales and rental company. Pain in the butt working with insurance, state and federal Gov. Wish I could sell it. Any buyers out there? '-)

Self employed can cut both directions, you business owners know what I mean.

Myself and my wifee have been manufacturing custom wetsuits and drysuits for over 20 years, owned Otter Bay Wetsuits well over 10 years.

I'm my own boss most of the time that's not good, but i am king of my neoprene world.

Business had declined to the point that we had to let our beloved employee go, only after she saw the change in the amount of work and volunteered to find another job, what a dear! That would have been a very difficult conversation.

So being a business owner sucks sometimes, but I love being my own boss, and love making stuff anyway. (all kinds of stuff).

My advice to anyone wanting to start up a business is "do what you love and love what you do" AND "don't give up your day job" come to mind.:toothy10:

Check out our site,

Otterbaysuits.com

Great thread by the way, we all do some interesting stuff to make ends meet.

LCjeff

Been self employed since 1978 construction

I myself am not self-employed, but my best-friend's owns Hickory Body Shop right here in Longview (used to be Hickory when the shop opened in 1955) North Carolina. After working there for the summer, not only would I be hard pressed to go back there again for a job (he owes me an assload of backpay) but I don't believe I'd ever take my car there either...

Though most of you know me and my work by now, I'll get in on the thread for statistics purposes. I own and operate a custom powder coating shop in northwest Tennessee, and 9 out of 10 customers come from FABO. :-D

Thanks guys! I wouldn't be here without you. Website link and contact info below:

Self employed in Pa since '96...company name is Ace of Signs...we make all kinds of signs from small decals to large commercial electric building signs. We also install signs for stores like Staples, Petsmart, Giant, Martins, Weis, Kohls, and the list goes on. 2010 wasn't a very good year but 2011 is looking better at this point. We have alot of bids out, seems like companies are re-thinking image and branding which is good for us. I say "us" & "we"...referring to myself, my son, and one full time guy and one part tiem guy.
I like being my own boss most of the time, but being a procrastinator sometimes its tough.

I've been self-employed since 1990. Own Stick Shift Transmissions in San Bernardino, CA. I only do bench labor (no R & R work) on sticks, transfer cases and differentials. Some times it's slow, some times it's too damn busy, do a bunch of circle track stuff. It all works out.

Russ.

been working for myself and a comp. since 1998. had a lawn that did it all then got into the dump truck buisness in 07.....im here in good old north carolina mike

Are you self employed? are you writing a book? just kidding8) I am since 95. Commercial/Industrial, Pipe Fitter/Weldor. Been a tough road to hoe, still hoeing:-D Would`nt have it any other way. Lucky to work 7 months out of the year, but I get by. Sounds as though I`ll really be busy this year. Maybe I`ll be able to afford the stuff needed to finish the gasser project:tongue3:

Self Employed Contractor for Sears. My Company name is Monaco Installations and Repairs. I specialize in appliance installations and repairs of all kitchen appliances and planning for remodeling of existing kitchen remodels for new appliance installations. Been on my own for 7 years. Worked many years prior to self employment for various appliance stores/chains. Attended Penn Foster College online and got my certification in appliance repair. Currently studying for my N.C. CFC license.

I use to be till I got ripped for 127K a year and a half ago. Been unemployed since then.

Are you self employed? are you writing a book? just kidding8) I am since 95. Commercial/Industrial, Pipe Fitter/Weldor. Been a tough road to hoe, still hoeing:-D Would`nt have it any other way. Lucky to work 7 months out of the year, but I get by. Sounds as though I`ll really be busy this year. Maybe I`ll be able to afford the stuff needed to finish the gasser project:tongue3:

Nope, I'm retired since July 2006...got out at 59:-D

Like I said, I was just curious after some of the "job" threads that have
been posted in the last couple of months.

-
Back