Who is useing Header extensions?

-
Since you posted up in the 11 second sticky, (Congrats) I figured I’d bit this thread up again to see what you did for your exhaust. Pictures possible?
Hi nothing yet on the exhaust system. I was going to have to custom build a new transmission crossmember. Then I find out holley just came out with one for my dakota. But there's is for a gen 3 hemi. But seeing how there crossmember mounts to the factory location I bought one. I think i can make it work. I just got it in the other day and haven't got a chance to put it on yet. I will for sure post pictures on here when its on and my header exstions.
Also thank you on the congrats. I have been building this truck for allmost 3.5 years.

Have tried them and not Seen anything on the time slip, but your experience might be different.
Most people are going to tell you to run them, with a bit of paint the length of them, then cut them off after running them where the paint is most discolored.
Certainly worth a try

I tried this on my 67 hemi belvedere , didn`t help at all , took them off and trew them in the trash !!

The extensions help low end torque. We knew this for decades. It shows up in the 60’ time, time and time again. I was always told as a kid, start cutting them down 2 inches at a time until the 60’ looses time. The you know you went to far. This is also where you add in the pressure wave cancellation box for the muffled cars.

Can all cars use an extension and to faster? This I do t know. To many builds on top of to many variables to state that an engine will be better with this or that. The race track will tell you what the engine likes in place of a Dyno.

Hi sorry for the long delay. Well I ended up buying the holley black hart transmission crossmember for my 96 dakota. It was made for putting a gen 3 hemi in my dakota. Well all I had to do is move the drivers side frame mount and redrill 2 new holes. The crossmember fit . I had my son tig me up two 18 inch header exstions with a 02 sensor bung. Now my wide band works like it should. I never got to try them out because of bad weather then I had back surgery. So I am done till next spring. I will make sure to post results when I get to go to the track
20201016_221141.jpg

@mopar65 Looks Nice!! Just curious are your headers equal length?? My headers aren't equal length. My Passenger side is a few inches longer and I was wondering if I should cut the passenger side header extension shorter to match the same total length of the driver sider header and extension.

@mopar65 My Passenger side is a few inches longer and I was wondering if I should cut the passenger side header extension shorter to match the same total length of the driver sider header and extension.
No, extend the short side. Each side build be extended approximately 12 - 18 inches, this is combo dependent. But try to make them equal in length longer, not shorter. Connect you H or X pipe there after. The header extensions should be the same size as the header collector.

Well I got to take my dakota to the track today
I just had back surgery a week ago, so I had to have my friend race it for me. He was a green horn at first
Fastest thing he has raced before was his 15 second mustang. Lol the Temps were in the low 70 today his fastes pass was a
1.57 60 foot
1/8 7.16
Mph 95.63
1/4 11.27
Mph 114.86

The last time I raced it the temp was 50 degrees and my best pass was
1.56 60 foot
1/8 7.15
MPH 95.98
1/4 11.24
Mph 114.90

His last pass of the day the temp dropped from the mid 70 to low 60. He blew the tires off and ran a 11.34 at 115. To me I dont think the torque tubes changed a hole lot
Maybe gave it a little more low end. I still think this truck has a lot more in it. Just needs a lot more tuning. Biggest thing is I think the converter is not right for my engine set up. My friend was shifting it at 6500 and he said he was turning 7500 at the 1/4 mile finish line. Which I dont think is right but thats what he said he saw. After I heal up from getting my back worked on
I am going to pull the converter out and get it sent in for my set up
Come on spring time. Lol.

Well I got to take my dakota to the track today
I just had back surgery a week ago, so I had to have my friend race it for me. He was a green horn at first
Fastest thing he has raced before was his 15 second mustang. Lol the Temps were in the low 70 today his fastes pass was a
1.57 60 foot
1/8 7.16
Mph 95.63
1/4 11.27
Mph 114.86

The last time I raced it the temp was 50 degrees and my best pass was
1.56 60 foot
1/8 7.15
MPH 95.98
1/4 11.24
Mph 114.90

His last pass of the day the temp dropped from the mid 70 to low 60. He blew the tires off and ran a 11.34 at 115. To me I dont think the torque tubes changed a hole lot
Maybe gave it a little more low end. I still think this truck has a lot more in it. Just needs a lot more tuning. Biggest thing is I think the converter is not right for my engine set up. My friend was shifting it at 6500 and he said he was turning 7500 at the 1/4 mile finish line. Which I dont think is right but thats what he said he saw. After I heal up from getting my back worked on
I am going to pull the converter out and get it sent in for my set up
Come on spring time. Lol.

laying down in the backend a good bit.
Mph is low for the ET, and quite low considering the MPH at the 1/8th

lol.... or the vert could be too loose. Kinda what i dealt with for a while.
Hoping it works better behind my 418 than it did the 360
Well then! Best of luck!
I’m not the best with automatics or converters. I get the main idea though. I’m prepping my first race 904. Normally I bang 4 gears with a pistol grip. Pro Torque used to be down the block from me until there move to Pa., so I speak with Joe directly for help on this and other racers in my area. It’s been a real long time for me.

lol.... or the vert could be too loose. Kinda what i dealt with for a while.
Hoping it works better behind my 418 than it did the 360
I am thinking the converter is too lose for my engine. This converter came with the 904 transmission i bought. It's a 8 inch coan converter. The transmission came out of a 9.70 1/4 mile small block duster. I know I should of had one built for my engine set up. But I ran out of money building my dakota and wanted to go racing. Lol well I guess I can kill two birds with one stone as they say. I have been wanting to put a transbrake in my truck. Lol also I am going to go through my transmission and check it out while I have it out. Thanks again every one for the great info and advice

I thought the last time i raced it, I was turing 7100 shifting at 6500. My friend said he was going through the end at 7500

I too have a 28 tall tire, 4.30 gear, and run more mph.
I cross the stripe at 6400.
If you are doing more than that, especially if you have a bias tire( I have a radial, doesn’t grow), your vert
is a major issue or your tranny is slipping... less likely

7100 at 114-115 isn’t right.
That is more like the rpm for a 10.50-10.60 ish pass with that tire and gear, if not quicker 124-126 mph

Last edited:
I too have a 28 tall tire, 4.30 gear, and run more mph.
I cross the stripe at 6400.
If you are doing more than that, especially if you have a bias tire( I have a radial, doesn’t grow), your vert
is a major issue or your tranny is slipping... less likely

7100 at 114-115 isn’t right.
That is more like the rpm for a 10.50-10.60 ish pass with that tire and gear, if not quicker 124-126 mph
I have 28x9x15 slicks. I am wanting to switch to a radial pro tire. Sense the class I was wanting race in is no more.i might step up to a 315 tire..I was wanting to do some street driving next year..But you never know with me.lol

I have 28x9x15 slicks. I am wanting to switch to a radial pro tire. Sense the class I was wanting race in is no more.i might step up to a 315 tire..I was wanting to do some street driving next year..But you never know with me.lol
Converter could be too loose but I think u could use a taller tire. I have used extensions on a couple cars/engine combo’ sand each time the 60 ft was improved. Kim

Converter could be too loose but I think u could use a taller tire. I have used extensions on a couple cars/engine combo’ sand each time the 60 ft was improved. Kim

Taller Rear tires? I was running the 28 inch slicks because that was the tallest tire you could run in the class I was trying to race in. Well the class was canceled for next year. So I might go to a 315 drag radial tire. But not sure yet.

-
Back