Who knows factory cylinder heads ?

-
Good to hear. Thank you, for your advice. I’m just taking all of this in, that’s all. I appreciate all of the schooling.
You could just have a hydraulic lifter that's collapsing when it's not pumped up full of oil. Getting old but still working...

You could just have a hydraulic lifter that's collapsing when it's not pumped up full of oil. Getting old but still working...
That’s what I was thinking too, bud. The thing about that, I had a 1950 Chevy with bad hydraulic lifters when I first bought it. And they chattered like hell when they leak down. Dismantling and cleaning them by hand or using diesel fuel in your crank oil often fixes them. If not, they need replaced. The ironic thing about what you said and I agree. Is there is no chatter. Maybe, straight 6’s are more prevalent to lifter chatter than V8’s ? That I don’t know, but I would think, it shouldn’t make a difference in reference to chatter. If anything. They might be collapsed and stuck in that position, maybe ?

That’s what I was thinking too, bud. The thing about that, I had a 1950 Chevy with bad hydraulic lifters when I first bought it. And they chattered like hell when they leak down. Dismantling and cleaning them by hand or using diesel fuel in your crank oil often fixes them. If not, they need replaced. The ironic thing about what you said and I agree. Is there is no chatter. Maybe, straight 6’s are more prevalent to lifter chatter than V8’s ? That I don’t know, but I would think, it shouldn’t make a difference in reference to chatter. If anything. They might be collapsed and stuck in that position, maybe ?
Slant 6 is have solid lifters and adjustable rockers LOL they all clatter a little and sound like a sewing machine.. as yours would if you had solid lifters and adjustable 273 rockers...

There shouldn’t be any play and should be under preload if they are hydraulic regardless of cam position. And if a bad lifter or 2 is causing play, you would hear chatter. There is zero chatter at idle.

Oil will slowly leak down from some of the lifters after shutdown, especially on an older build. Sounds like nothing is wrong.

A 50's era Chevy truck was probably a solid lifter engine. You Mopar is a hydraulic lifter engine, the lifters pump up when running so you don't really hear them. If you do start to hear them, as stated, you have a lifter going south, or a cam lobe. It's messy to do, but pull a valve cover & see how easily you can spin the push rods with the engine running.

A 50's era Chevy truck was probably a solid lifter engine. You Mopar is a hydraulic lifter engine, the lifters pump up when running so you don't really hear them. If you do start to hear them, as stated, you have a lifter going south, or a cam lobe. It's messy to do, but pull a valve cover & see how easily you can spin the push rods with the engine running.
Did you read Post number One?..

This isn’t true. It was a car. And only 15 percent of cars received the 235 at the tail end of 1950 and mine one was one of them. 1950 was the first year the 235 was installed in cars. The 235, automatic received hydraulic. The 216, stick shift engines received solid. Trust me on that one. I took them apart and cleaned them many times, ha ha. Eventually, bought new ones and they were $40 a piece. That’s something you won’t forget. Ha ha

Last edited:
Actually 5 rods spin, 3 of 5 rockers that have rods spinning have a little rocker side to side play. I don’t think any of the lifters are collapsing. Otherwise, I would be able to push 1 of the 5 rods down a little, at least. No rods will allow me to push them down the slightest. Cam or lifters must be worn a tad. But, as I mentioned runs great and zero valve train noise.

5745EDF5-63A9-4066-B80A-864046AE7307.jpeg

CA7AC10A-083B-4912-A99B-4BF0E08D04E1.jpeg

Actually 5 rods spin, 3 of 5 rockers that have rods spinning have a little rocker side to side play. I don’t think any of the lifters are collapsing. Otherwise, I would be able to push 1 of the 5 rods down a little, at least. No rods will allow me to push them down the slightest. Cam or lifters must be worn a tad. But, as I mentioned runs great and zero valve train noise.

View attachment 1715530938

View attachment 1715530939
Are you turning the engine over to the base circle of the cam on those loose ones?

View attachment 1715530938

View attachment 1715530939

You are good to go. If they wear too much, they will make noise. The lifters will pump up when the engine is running.

Last edited:
Thank you, for all the help. I’m not worried about it. I might change the cam and the heads in a couple years anyhow. Car runs and engine sounds great.

Are you turning the engine over to the base circle of the cam on those loose ones?
No, buddy. I didn’t think that was important if the engine had hydraulic lifters. Being all the rods should be under preload. I see guys adjust hydraulic lifters and go all the way down the line, not worrying about cam position. After a run through, just rotating crank 90 degrees after a couple run through of tightening. After the rod stops spinning, adding another .5 to .75 turn beyond tight. A lot of engine builders swear by that technique. From what I found.

No, buddy. I didn’t think that was important if the engine had hydraulic lifters. Being all the rods should be under preload. I see guys adjust hydraulic lifters and go all the way down the line, not worrying about cam position. After a run through, just rotating crank 90 degrees after a couple run through of tightening. After the rod stops spinning, adding another .5 to .75 turn beyond tight. A lot of engine builders swear by that technique. From what I found.
Totally incorrect....

Almost every hydraulic cam/stamped steel rocker from Ma Mopar will wiggle if you get to base circle on the cam. Push rods will turn with the lifter, they are supposed too

A case of watching to many you tube videos. Why are you trying to create a issue for yourself? You said it runs good! Trying to make it more Gooder?

Totally incorrect....
At this point, being they are not adjustable. Does it really matter ? Ha ha. I understand your point. But, nothing matters if they are not adjustable. So, why even bother setting the cam at any particular position or not ? That’s another reason, why I chose not to worry about cam position.

Hydro rockers quiet down after oil gets inside and everywhere. They are somewhat self adjusting even on slightly worn lobes. The oil is introduced into the lifter under pressure and fills it up when its relaxed, not over a lobe. when the lobe starts to push its plunger against a pushrods and its valvetrain, a check ball closes and the trapped oil cannot escape the piston reservoir, like a hydraulic jack...you cannot compress a liquid so it turns into a 'solid' column and lifts the valve against the valve spring. This happens all in the first 5-15 seconds of a motor starting and all your lifters are now pumped to the cam profile and are considered solid. They adjust themselves over time to cover heat and lifter wear. If they are quiet, they are working. Only way to find if its worn out is to mic the lift with the lifters out.

At this point, being they are not adjustable. Does it really matter ? Ha ha. I understand your point. But, nothing matters if they are not adjustable. So, why even bother setting the cam at any particular position or not ? That’s another reason, why I chose not to worry about cam position.
You do not see guys going all the way down the line adjusting hydraulic lifters with adjustable rockers just going down the line because they're hydraulic. They must be adjusted on the base circle PERIOD...

spinning pushrods are normal. Some rockers that "seem" loose side to side are normal as those are probably with the valves closed on the base circle of the cam. What you have described is a perfectly normal HYDRAULIC Mopar valve train.

-
Back