Who knows how to fit bearings to a full radius crankshaft?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
If I install a custom 340 crankshaft with full radius journals in my project motor, what mods need to be performed so the bearings are not wiped out in the process? I have never seen this explained/discussed on any forum or in any magazine or in any video. I wonder why?

Clevite "HN" > a narrow bearing
for the full radius cranks.
The bearings are marked upper and lower to fit into the rod, and clear the radius

If I install a custom 340 crankshaft with full radius journals in my project motor, what mods need to be performed so the bearings are not wiped out in the process? I have never seen this explained/discussed on any forum or in any magazine or in any video. I wonder why?

Talk to Hughes. They use a bearing knife to fit bearings to these full radiuses.

Some of the stroker cranks require narrow bearings, and even with them still need to be clearanced. I do it by hand too with a fresh utility knif blade. Not a big deal.

I used to have a tool for that. I haven't seen it since about 1984. I even forgot what it was called. It was like a rat-tail file, except instead of being a file; it had three straight full-length hollow-ground cutting flutes, about 6 or 7 inches long. Made short work of fitting bearings that way.

It's called a bearing scraper and the use of one is a dieing art.

The real technical name I think is eather "Do-Hicky", or "Thing-a-muh-jig", maybe muffler bearing..............

-
Back