Who makes good paint?

-
Remember hot laquer paint jobs? They actually had heaters for doing it
The older guy who showed me how to hold, adjust and use a paint gun used to use a crock pot with hot water in it to heat up the paint. Back then he was using enamel. He said the warm paint flowed out better and was smoother and shiner. I don't know if it really worked or he was just such a good painter, but his paint work was amazing.

The older guy who showed me how to hold, adjust and use a paint gun used to use a crock pot with hot water in it to heat up the paint. Back then he was using enamel. He said the warm paint flowed out better and was smoother and shiner. I don't know if it really worked or he was just such a good painter, but his paint work was amazing.

We used to do this with older enamel paint as well when painting buses. Also you could "shock" a slow paint by pouring the paint into the catalyst instead of the opposite.

My local shop sells me omni but mixes in the ppg binders for next to nothing. I'm not after a high dollar paint job but the omni is a bit thin on coverage in some colors so I get a better base pretty cheap. No matter the base I would step up on the clear.

Now that looks great!
I'm more of a Tremclad/Rustoleum guy myself..........lol
(Hey, I'm cheap!)

Well no Rustoleum on my car but I put a little Acrylic or Urethane hardener in it and it doesn't take days to dry. I had quite a bit leftover different brand hardeners kicking and use them. My house railings dried in 12 hours. Good on a steel Bulkhead too! Just mix what you need or you'll be throwing away the whole can!

No thinner to escape from paint leaving nice non hazing glossy finish.

Here's my Hardtop. PPG Base /clear. Painted both cars in my garage.

Dart_zpsdzxjxix8.jpg

Filter door_zpsxventcjo.jpg

Paint_zpsxsx2ysag.jpg

Park behind a Chevy truck sometime. The orange peel on the tail gate is so bad you can't see your headlight reflection! Newer clears made for production are like spraying super glue. Also when it comes to durability the uv protection is usually built into the catalyst for the clear not the clear itself. Most companies offer "glamor" clears that are made for high end look and usability but you will pay out the nose for it. I've also sprayed some low end clears that in my opinion responded better than the high end stuff... But being in the turn over world you rarely see the vehicle 5 years or more down the road.
So is my 2017 Cummins!!

Fan in other end window. Also had Filters at Top of Garage door (see pic) for downdraft (Kinda) and a good quality respirator.

Well no Rustoleum on my car but I put a little Acrylic or Urethane hardener in it and it doesn't take days to dry. I had quite a bit leftover different brand hardeners kicking and use them. My house railings dried in 12 hours. Good on a steel Bulkhead too! Just mix what you need or you'll be throwing away the whole can!
I'm talking spray bombs here.
I know it definitely fades out over time, but I wonder if you put some kind of clear on it if it would last at all..............
Professionals will hate me for this, but I once painted a '83 Ford Ranger 4X4 with Tremclad spray bombs, and it looked awesome for the first 3 months or so until it started fading.
It was quick, easy, and cheap. (about 30 bucks.)
And it looked a lot better than the faded original paint with rust scabs all over it.
The truck was a winter beater anyway, so I had nothing to lose.
It was a two coat wonder, and after two years the paint wasn't falling off, it just faded out to a semi gloss.
I scuffed it good with scotchbrite pads, masked it with newspapers, and painted it.
I did it in about 4 hours.
Even pressure washing it didn't make the paint come off in that time.
I'm convinced that Tremclad (Rustoleum) would stick to anything like **** to a wool blanket............lol

Fan in other end window. Also had Filters at Top of Garage door (see pic) for downdraft (Kinda) and a good quality respirator.
Kudos for being creative. I like it! When I painted in my garage I draped light plastic from the ceiling all the way around. It actually worked pretty good for keeping the overspray in check. But I wasn't using a hvlp gun so there was a lot of overspray. I used a Binks #7 gun. If anyone remembers them. Lol

Binks was a high quality gun back in the day.
My buddy had a beater van and use to roll it out in exterior latex to take the curse off it.

Stay away from omni
It doent cover for ****. Like mentioned before by other, you will have to use twice as much to do what a better qua5 paint could do. So now your buy move paint and not saving any money. **** sucks dont do it. I use ppg DBU . It's not cheap ,but covers great and sprays great. I would like something equal to that but cheaper.

Ppg dbc deltron 2000 tri coat. The final coat is House of Kolor Kosmic show clear.
He wanted a slower curing clear, so he’d have enough to wet sand, and buff.
We will buff again in the spring, touch up a couple spots.

0AE02914-FDB5-4C5E-B8E8-278529967EC4.jpeg

58AC4E7D-A84B-484E-BE04-2C2121267614.jpeg

028729B9-C7D3-4672-ACAB-86F2C7B27AA6.jpeg

74AE4B75-BC1E-4DCA-86ED-741476485BAA.jpeg

-
Back