Who makes the best oil pan gasket??

-
So here are some pics as to how I installed the pan gasket. I decided to not trim the cork as there is a lip on the rubber seal that the cork lays on.
1. "tin-knocked" the pan to level out the bolt holes.
2. Laid a thin bead of Permatex "Right Stuff" along the pan rails and around the holes.
3. Placed cork gaskets on pan then put pan on engine and installed bolts finger tight to keep a slight amt of pressure on gasket. Let it set up for approx 5 hours.
4. Pulled off pan, smeared a very thin bead of Permatex on the rounded parts of the pan, bottom of timing cover and rear main cap.
5. Installed the rubber end pieces and set the pan on again and tightened bolts evenly to keep just enough pressure to hold the rubber end pieces in place and for Permatex to setup. I will wait a couple hours and gradually tighten them to torque spec (15lbs)

I included pics so everyone could see the process, as well as my concerns. I showed a pic of the rubber end piece installed in the pan that shows a gap between pan and rubber. I tugged on the tits to pull it thru, but the end tits are shaped differently so they dont stay in place unless the pan is installed. You can also see the overlap of the cork onto the rubber. I also put a very small amt of goop on the end of the rubber piece where the cork lays over top of it. The smear I put on the rear cap and the timing cover is very very thin.
Also if you see where the timing cover meets the block, the cover sits lower than the block(with the engine upside down). Hope this works, and if so hope it helps someone else. I want to thank everyone for their input! Whether I used it or not, I do appreciate it. Keep yer fingers crossed that this works out.

Attachments

• DSCF6784 (Medium).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 395
  • DSCF6770 (Medium).jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 381
  • DSCF6788 (Medium).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 389
  • DSCF6792 (Medium).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 387
  • DSCF6797 (Medium).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 380
  • DSCF6793 (Medium).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 372
  • DSCF6804 (Medium).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 400
  • DSCF6806 (Medium).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 386
  • DSCF6776 (Medium).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 392
Got it!! All torqued down to factory specs with no puking!! Will let it sit over night and prime the engine. Thanks again to everyone who chimed in!!

Good deal. Those cork gaskets can test your patience. Everything looks good from Missouri, LOL.

Hey Bruce! Yep patience definitely was tested. I will flip the engine over tomorrow, fill it with Rotella and give it a prime. We already tested the pump when we had the pump off, but just wanna dbl check now that she is back together...well almost, still a few more parts to bolt on. Thanks!!

Thanks for posting this. I hope it worked because I need to redo mine and will be following this. I didn't let it sit and my cork gasket twisted and squeezed out on the last hole... talk about P/O-ed haha. Oh well. Hopefully I will get it this time.

Hmm, when i put the pan gasket on mine i only rtved where the rubber met the cork. should i have used more rtv? maybe around the bolts or something? should i pull it off and redo it?

Sir Dan, I would re-do it. I just took the engine back to dads, hooked up mech oil gauge, put some oil in it and had 60 psi! All looks good!!

hey 4spdragtop.....i hope u rtv'd under the corners of the end seals where they contact the pan, if not...better cross ur fingers and hope it dont leak.

hey 4spdragtop.....i hope u rtv'd under the corners of the end seals where they contact the pan, if not...better cross ur fingers and hope it dont leak.

Are you talking where there is a "step" in the rounded/end part of the pan?? See post #26 pic #4. If so I did goop it there. If you mean a different spot, reply here so more can learn. Thanks!

-
Back