who thinks this will work?

-

screeminDemon

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the flywheel I just had drilled for balance for my new 360. I believe it was a 318 flywheel and I measured and marked the places to drill based on a spec sheet I got online. Machine shop drilled the holes I marked for $25. Obviously its not perfect, but I'm hoping the balance will be close enough so as not to vibrate my engine.

I just converted my slant six, 3-spd demon to a 360, 4-spd.

Attachments

• flywheel 1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 430
  • flywheel2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 390
Looks a little sketchy , wonder if your local tire guy could rig it up on a wheel balancer to test it ?

You can't balance that flywheel because "as drilled" it is DESIGNED to be out of balance.

I don't believe in this business of "do it yourself" TQ and flywheel balancing. I'm sure the factory stuff was "bad enough"

Years and years ago when Traco was big in Chivvy 302s (Z-28) I asked them how close those engines were balanced.

My foggy mind remembers something around 1/4-1/2 a gram. That ain't much.

Here is a pic of the flywheel I just had drilled for balance for my new 360. I believe it was a 318 flywheel and I measured and marked the places to drill based on a spec sheet I got online. Machine shop drilled the holes I marked for $25. Obviously its not perfect, but I'm hoping the balance will be close enough so as not to vibrate my engine.

I just converted my slant six, 3-spd demon to a 360, 4-spd.

well it looks like to machined on the clutch face side... so that thing is toast...

besides the obvious balance issue...

no your wrong about that, the machine shop resurfaced the other side, which was the correct side. I've already installed it

no your wrong about that, the machine shop resurfaced the other side, which was the correct side. I've already installed it

its hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the side that has the flange below flush has the pressure plate holes and the drilled holes...

I just copied and blew the pics up and I think the pic is an optical illusion. It look like it's drilled on the right side to me when blown up big enough to see it good.

i lil bigger

Attachments

• flywheel2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 321
  • dcc-4529110_w.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 325
im gonna ignore the fact that w/e balance was in the flywheel was destroyed when you started drilling holes in it, and point out that 318's are internally balanced, where 360's are external...you have more issues to think about than just it shaking itself apart...someone more knowledgeable than i may need to step in here and give a crash course on neutral balance, but im willing to bet that a good vibration would be evident, and not the beach boys kind.lol

Looks like the wrong side to me. It's time to throw it in the trash can.

I have a fly wheel exactly as the one he cut. Look at the crank bolt holes and the pattern for the offset holes, he did drill the correct side. This is the crank side.I believe The flywheel he used is a very rare and hard to find heavy unit solid on both sides. Yes I do believe this will work just fine as long as it was drilled per the Dirrect connection Chassis manual hole locations. And it looks as if it was. That flywheel will give you alot of innertia on a shift. It will take alot to slow that thing down.Torque loss will be evident but once this thing is up in RPM's it will take alot to bring it down. You'll get alot more than just a tire chirp out of second or any gear for that matter. If you decide to throw it in the trash can I will bring my can to your house for that occasion. Steve

The holes you had drilled will get it close, but it will still have to be balanced to your engines recipricating mass to match the bob wieght. Steve

Yes its solid on both sides. I haven't seen one quite like it in pictures either. Thanks for the info, I'm glad its agood one!

My engine is pretty much stock so I'm hoping the balance will be close enough. I have the stock 360 balancer on the front. I wll let you guys know how it turns out. Should be ready to start soon. I finished battling the headers today and they finally gave up and let me bolt em in.

PS - just have the stock flywheel shield underneath. Is ther something better?

I did this myself years ago with a 318 flywheel and it works fine for me . In fact when I rebuilt my stroker motor I used the same flywheel when they rebalanced my motor ...Still works fine and no vibration if you drilled it right . And I wrap my motor to 7000 + rpms - My specs for drilling came straight from Ma Mopar

Yes its solid on both sides. I haven't seen one quite like it in pictures either. Thanks for the info, I'm glad its agood one!

My engine is pretty much stock so I'm hoping the balance will be close enough. I have the stock 360 balancer on the front. I wll let you guys know how it turns out. Should be ready to start soon. I finished battling the headers today and they finally gave up and let me bolt em in.

PS - just have the stock flywheel shield underneath. Is ther something better?
do a google search for Lakewood bell housing/scattersheild or QuickTime scattersheild.If you plan on racing,these can save your feet,hands and life if your clutch explodes!:thumrigh:
I have the Lakewood scattersheild behind my stroked 340,4 speed.

Jeez a lot of you people here, you just scare me shitless..........

My question is.... Why are we telling the machine shop WHERE to drill the holes??????

I say this, I enjoy not having my legs cut off enough not to do that, have you SEEN some of the carnage a flywheel/clutch can do?

Man....... have fun.

Jeez a lot of you people here, you just scare me shitless..........

My question is.... Why are we telling the machine shop WHERE to drill the holes??????

I say this, I enjoy not having my legs cut off enough not to do that, have you SEEN some of the carnage a flywheel/clutch can do?

Man....... have fun.
Seen more than one come unglued, was in a friends RR when it happened years ago. Luckily we survived, the car however, was not so lucky. Apparently a piece of shratnel nailed the fuel line and we had a bit of a bonfire.....:axe:

You will sit in screemin demons car while he pushes that clutch in at 7500 eh???

YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaa! Who wants to go for a ride! You guys are great, I love this website.

But I have to clear up one thing: I didnt tell the machine shop where to drill, I emailed them the mopar spec sheet.

I'll let you guys know soon how it runs or if it vibrates. I just hooked up the new elec ignition today, I'm plannin on startin it up this weekend.

-
Back