Who's 440 heads flow the best?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
This may be a question for IQ, but any one can chime in.

I'm looking at getting heads for my 440 stroker build and want to know what numbers folks are getting at what lift and from who?

I'm asking about full worked heads, not stock flow.

Thanks for the time and advice.

I'm looking at getting heads for my 440 stroker build and want to know what numbers folks are getting at what lift and from who?

probably not the highest flowing head, but my victor knock off, raised port heads, cnc machined, will flow 352 @ .600 . Standard port at that !

I wanted a set of full out eddy heads for an RB stroker engine. I called every head porter I could find from the Midwest to the northeast. I posted a thread about it. All the CNC guys use the programing from Modern Cylinder Head. Out of all of the head guys I called, NO ONE achieves what Jim Laroy does with those heads. I even had a local guy flow them and he was blown away by the numbers.

I ended up getting my heads, intake and roller cam from him. His knowledge, work and customer service is impeccable.

Ask anyone and you'll find that everybody is better'n anybody else!

We suck at porting. Everything we do is by hand and it cost more than any CNC program.

We can't get any more than 620 HP horsepower out of an Indy LAX headed 424"/360 pump gas small block, 787 HP out of Edelbrock RPM heads on a pump gas 451, 928 HP out of Victor heads on an E85 500"/440 and 748 HP from factory 906 heads on a pump gas 500"/440.

Oh yea, Jim sucks big time - he is horrible at his work!

(READ SUPER SARCASM PLEASE!!!)

probably not the highest flowing head, but my victor knock off, raised port heads, cnc machined, will flow 352 @ .600 . Standard port at that !

Bob is right, I've tested them, for an inexpensive head they flow pretty good.

I wanted a set of full out eddy heads for an RB stroker engine. I called every head porter I could find from the Midwest to the northeast. I posted a thread about it. All the CNC guys use the programing from Modern Cylinder Head. Out of all of the head guys I called, NO ONE achieves what Jim Laroy does with those heads. I even had a local guy flow them and he was blown away by the numbers.

I ended up getting my heads, intake and roller cam from him. His knowledge, work and customer service is impeccable.
Haven't heard "impeccable" before, but I've heard he's a peckerhead.

I have a set of FBS (Fred Brewer Sales) that flowed 426 cfm at .700 lift, anybody else ever flowed any brewers?

I have spoken to Fred a couple of times, very interesting gentleman. The heads that big dummy was advertising for a friend a couple of years ago on this forum are the ones I now have. I have also bought a new unused set that I then sold to a buddy. On those new heads our local guy (Keary Laminac of Midland Performance) just began to work on the intake ports, just did a basic clean up of a port and was at 400 cfm, he believes there is quite a bit left in them. When I bought these heads (originally bought and used by Eric Shelton out of Georgia) I did all kinds of net searches on them, they did have some porosity issues in the castings, but if you got a good pair they seem to produce plenty of hp. The other issue besides rarity, is finding an intake if you want the cast single 4500 version, not many seem to be produced. I believe the initial cost of these heads when they were new and the aforementioned porosity issues is what killed them. My motor is going together with them now, 540 ci, mega block, 4.5" crank, custom solid roller, just ordered pistons this week. I can't wait to get it on the dyno to see what it does. I am still just looking for anyone else running them so I can compare notes. The guy with the Fury from Finland is running a set in a (I think) twin turbo set up, he is coming to drag week this year, so that ought to be a test for them. He was good enough to sell me his cast intake because he is using a sheet metal intake on his injected set up.

:popcorn::popcorn::thankyou:

Dwayne Porter got 278 average for three cylinders out of my cast iron small block x heads. A very pleasant gentlemen to deal with also.

Dwayne Porter got 278 average for three cylinders out of my cast iron small block x heads. A very pleasant gentlemen to deal with also.

What can he get out of a set of B/RB heads? That's what the OP needs.

I have a set of Fred brewer heads I ran years ago. Made 949 hp I n dyno. 540 cid ,one carb.

still wondering what the OP is looking for on a performance level..... The stage VI heads I had on my old RB would give us some 9.9 time slips and it was a very mundane build to say the least.

-
Back