Who's responsibility....

-

Small Block

Reaction score
....would it be to provide insurance on a part to be shipped? If that cost wasn't requested should i volunteer to spend the buyers money as i see fit without a mention of insuring a part? Is it the sellers responsibility to garranty safe delivery of an item? Looking into the future so your response is greatly appriciated. Thanks
Small Block

I buy it when I ship something whether it's requested by the purchaser or not (covering the cost of the part if it had to be replaced, as well as my bill for the work I did on it). But if they specifically request me NOT to insure something then I abide by their wishes.

I insure anything over 10 dollars that is shipped. I also insure it for the total cost when shipped within the US as example if it sold for 20 and shipping was 11 I insure it for31 dollars. That way if it is lost or run over by the system shipping it the buyers shipping cost is also included. Shipping International is a different story on insurance but every item I have shipped to Canada came with up to 100 in insurance when shipping.

Well Small Block I guess if it was me it depends on if it is a high dollar item or not...
If I sold a member here something worth more than say 50 bucks as an example, I would just make sure I charge him enough to insure it when I ship it... that way if something does happen you can refund the guys money and claim it at the post office. The last thing I would want to tell a member here is: "oh well, you said you didn't need it insured so I gues you are S.O.L".... I would rather lose money than lose face with you or any member here - just my 2 cents.

It's cheap. I always do it regardless. I consider it part of the purchase. Probably one of the many reasons I lose out sellin stuff, but it ain't ever been about makin money to me anyway.

I think it should be the buyers responsibility to request insurance. It's the sellers job to make sure its packaged correctly and gets to the post office on time. After that you shouldn't blame the seller for anything unless you requested and paid for insurance and the seller didn't oblidge.

Bill;everyone knows that when it leaves your hands,you have no control over it.You can take all the pics that you want but the gorilla's that throw the boxes in and on the truck will do what they want.If a buyer is too cheap(and there are lots on here)to pony up for insurance,then I will ship it with the understanding of,as soon as it leaves my door it is your's! Sorry Bill but this is the age of,it's someone else's fault.Cover thine own a$$

If nothing about it is said about insurance in the ad, it's the sellers responsibility to make sure the product arrives at the destination in as described condition. PERIOD, END OF STORY. Risk of loss is not a buyers issue. That includes packing it properly and insuring it if you want to as the seller. You can pass that cost along to the buyer if you choose, but, it's NOT the buyers deal. As the seller you have the power to make that choice. If the buyer denies insurance you can then pass risk of loss on to them, if not, it's still your baby. It's not the buyer fault a gorilla runs over your box with a forklift.

Try going to court as a seller and see how fast the UCC code bites you in the *** if you feel otherwise.

Just a guess it probably has something to do with this now locked thread and your original post...

67 Valiant tailites (Nice)

Look em over and let me know if ya need anymore pics. They're in West Plains, Mo 65775
$75 plus actual shipping.
Small Block

You got it Cracked. You can see my replys and that my reputation is far above any part. Not really sure why the guy had to come on and start a bashing post as it had been resolved in PM #1. I catered to everyone of his reqests and ask him it there were any other requests. Take a lesson on someone else guys.
Small Block

Hey Bill, Merry Christmas to you and yours from Nella and I!!

Now, on to the question... If it is a damageable part I will just include insurance for the full sale value of the item being shipped. Also, it depends on the shipping company being used. All of the big shippers have some level of insurance built in to their standard quote, provided that the item is packaged in accordance with their coverage. UPS covers items up to $100.00, then additional insurance is required if the value exceeds that. I'm not sure what the insurance actually covers short of the package being outright destroyed by THEIR sorting machines. Broken items not packaged sufficiently will never be covered, and of course when dealing with any insurance related business, just expect a NO answer!!!
Now, if the item is not easily damaged, I will offer insurance as an option, but one thing I ALWAYS include is delivery confirmation. I use this as a way to confirm with the purchaser that their item has actually been shipped, and also in the (hopefully) unlikely event that the item doesn't arrive, or has arrived and the buyer is somehow being dishonest.

I have shipped hundreds of items, and can count on one hand the number of times that an item has not arrived safely. Even overseas items have somehow eluded the nightmares that can befall a shipped item. In the end, you just gotta pack it like it's going to the King, and hope for the best!!! Good luck, Geof

I just shipped a carb and the standard $100 insurance was free.

I look at cost….. Both the value of the part and the cost of the insurance. When I quote for shipping I offer a "With or Without" price.

I leave it up to the buyer, both the choice and the cost.

(I crapped my pants at it being $26 to send a carb, UPS ground, across the country. Am I the only one that thinks that's high?)

I look at cost….. Both the value of the part and the cost of the insurance. When I quote for shipping I offer a "With or Without" price.

(I crapped my pants at it being $26 to send a carb, UPS ground, across the country. Am I the only one that thinks that's high?)

$26.00 sounds about right for a mid-sized package from coast to coast.

You wanna crap your pants??? I just sent $800.00 worth of very delicate 1969 Barracuda grills to Sweden by USPS Express to the tune of $154.00. The buyer wanted them to be handled as little as possible to minimize the risk of damage, but I was sweating bullets for a week when he didn't get back to me after 3 days. Joy and elation ensued when his message arrived and the items arrived safely!!! They were packed in a veritable crypt of packaging, and I swear could've withstood a drop from the moon, but man was I worried!!! Now, on with the show!!! Geof

Yep; that is high,

Since I usually ship by UPS, I only insure an item if I sold it for more than $100.

When I was selling a bunch of stuff on eBay, I always had a clause that ran something along the lines of: " Shipping insurance is optional. If insurance is not chosen by the purchaser, the seller is no longer responsible for the package once dropped off at the mail center. "

Even though I had that stated, there were a couple times where problems arrose and I was able to work something out with the buyer ( except for one a**hole who said everything arrived fine and then a week later changed his mind and said that it was broken when he got it )

Well if you use FED-EX whatever you ship is insured for the price of shipping up to a value of $100.00 anything more and your charged accordily..if you use USPS they charge you for insurance on anything...

Up here in Ontario,Canada,anything up to $100 comes with insurance(free)This is with Canada Post.I feel as a seller you would want to have your item insured til the deal is done.Merry Christmas SB.:cheers:

....would it be to provide insurance on a part to be shipped? If that cost wasn't requested should i volunteer to spend the buyers money as i see fit without a mention of insuring a part? Is it the sellers responsibility to garranty safe delivery of an item? Looking into the future so your response is greatly appriciated. Thanks
Small Block

hey bill....I said in my opening statement that I was not running you through the mud, so wtf is the tude about now??

btw you don't mention your 2nd PM that you sent me saying that you basically question my 'obsevation' .....
I hadn't even responed to the 1st pm yet

small block qoute below from pm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wild&crazyguy
and the driver side frame is cracked and so are both lenses brake & reverse with one being pretty bad.

you never said the lenses were cracked and it does not show in the pick, let alone the cracked frame.

I want to either be partially refunded or a complete return for my cash minus half of the shipping to fair.

I have pics of the crack, it's old existing damage.

thanks
Justin

It's morning now and the guy that boxed em up for me is here and i've showed him your comments. I have a very bad habit of doing things correct so i question your observations however i will do as i said but i will give you aheads up. Dont send me your old beat up tailites. When i have a part in question i send it out without payment and let people look em over to see if they are satisfied and if i had suspected anything with these i would have done the same. I'll check my pics.
Small Block

btw ...why do you have someone else package what you sell, someone who is not a shipper or related to the post office/fedex/ups???
and now you are using your powers as mod to close the original thread so that there is no arguement or?

You need to just be straight about this, starting this thread only shows that you would screw me if popular vote said so, not cool.

And you would lose in a court of law.

now lets get back to working this out so 'we' are all happy.

(Without reading the whole thread..........)

Bill, as a seller, you should insure everything for more than the value of the part and all shipping costs with or without the purchasers kowleadge. If the cost is not in the price of the item for sale, then it is you and only you who is responsable for the cost and you must be preparded to eat the cost should anything happen.

Adding the cost of shipping, insurance and anything else should be made known to the purchaser up front and agreed apon. This shold include not only the cost as mentioned above but also who is taking the package. USPO, UPS, Fed-Ex...etc....

As a purchaser, if I get a package from sumitt racing all screwed up, you and I both know we can return it no questions asked for ethier a refund (Minus our shipping it back expense) or a exchange of part(s).

While your not sumitt racing, the purchaser should expect no less and you wouldn't ethier. You'd kick and shout until you had what you wanted.

Do whats right even if you take a bath on it. Call it leason learned.

Look at my post Rob. As stated in a previous post of mine. My reputation is far more important than any part. Even though this matter was resolved in PM #1 the buyer felt a need to make his agenda known in another thread, what ever it was. Not sure what there is to work out. You send me the tailites and i send you the full amount($85) you requested. I'm willing to pay for someone elses screwup and i mean the PO so dont think i'm hammerin on you. Waiting on the lites. The ball is in your court. By the way, some of us mods do close threads to head off arguments. That's why we're here. Imagine that. This post was meant to determine the correct way to handle a future situation. Same as if i were pulling a steering wheel or changing out a brake pad. No need to make nothing more out of it. Nothing leaves my place without insurance even though imo insurance aint worth a tinkers dam. Who said you cant teach an old dog new tricks?
Small Block

If using fed ex or ups,they usually include insurance for $100 in the shipping price. The usps does NOT & should be figured into the shipping price @ THEIR cost & is up to them if they want it or not. IF they opt out for insurance,it's on them if it gets damaged & they eat the loss. Just MY opinion

I had also seen the pics & it didn't show any cracks in the lights or a cracked frame,so not sure what happened there.

Look at my post Rob. As stated in a previous post of mine. My reputation is far more important than any part. Even though this matter was resolved in PM #1 the buyer felt a need to make his agenda known in another thread, what ever it was. Not sure what there is to work out.
Small Block

It was resolved in the 1st pm, then the next day you sent the other pm that questioned my observation and my general integrity.
When you seemed to change your tune, I wanted to show you the pics but couldn't post them in a pm 'maybe gold member feature'? so I posted them in the related thread.

All is good Sedanman. A full refund will be given as requested upon recieving the lites.
Small Block

After christmas/before new year I will send them out, do you want me to send them back in the same packing? or would you like me to repack them?

..........A question 4 all..............by now every knows i bought a set of 383 A body exhaust manifolds 4 the sellers price............good deal indeed..........so .when he ships them usps should they b insured 4 alot more eg. replacement value....if so what would b a good $ value.....thanks.....kim.......

-
Back