Who's running a serpentine belt?

-

entropy

Reaction score
So, the other week I'm in the Swinger, and rip the hides loose in the rain, twist the motor up around 7 maybe 8,000 RPM, and snap a brand new water pump/power steering belt, and throw the alt. belt. (gotta get a rev limiter!) So now I'm stranded on the side of the road, darkness is falling, and it's raining like a mo fo!

So I think I want to swap from the V belts to a serpentine system.

Looking for any recommendations from you guys.

Thanks.

I have the March serpentine belts and pulleys on my 340

It is a tight fit

0000lfmarch.JPG

0000Marchtight.JPG

0000ec.jpg

I have a heating issue that I'm still working on. Don't know if it underdrive water pump pulley, wrong water pump or just tune is incorrect.

If you run an electric fan it has to be offset or a low profile fan. I turned the nose cone down for the water pump so I could use it and clear the fan motor.

It does look nice.

0000lfmarch.JPG

0000Marchtight.JPG

0000ec.jpg

Looks great Wildcat!

Looks like you have the March billet power steering pump as well. What was your total investment in the kit? Was the install easy?

I too have an overheating problem, but only at highway speeds. I assume it is due to the 4:10 gear, cause it runs around 180 till I get on the highway. I am running a Mopar viscous fan with a stock SB radiator.

Thanks for you answers.

this maybe isnt what you can use.
But... If you wanted to, you could grab factory smallblock parts from a salvage Magnum 5.2 or 5.9.
March is probably what your after.
Everything came with my salvage motor so it was easy for me to make this choice.

dad hose 03.jpg

Magnum 360_390HP Mopar_Perf_EFI.jpg

Is it possible that your running lean at cruise?
When I had my LA 360 it would get hot idling in traffic but started to cool right down as soon as i got moving. Looks like it was equipt just like yours with a 22 incr rad.

I'm running the March Serpentine system too and it works great and looks great. I've spun it to 6800 and no problem with tossing belts. No overheating problem either with the stock 3 core radiator. Running 3:73 gears.

I have the March serpentine belts and pulleys on my 340

It is a tight fit

I have a heating issue that I'm still working on. Don't know if it underdrive water pump pulley, wrong water pump or just tune is incorrect.

If you run an electric fan it has to be offset or a low profile fan. I turned the nose cone down for the water pump so I could use it and clear the fan motor.

It does look nice.

The factory serpentine belt spins the water pump backwards which isn't a problem as the Magnum pump is designed to work this way. Does the March kit spin the pump backwards too? Could this be part of your overheating problem?

The factory serpentine belt spins the water pump backwards which isn't a problem as the Magnum pump is designed to work this way. Does the March kit spin the pump backwards too? Could this be part of your overheating problem?

Didn't see Larry answer yet so I'll answer. The March system is conventional rotation.

If I am not mistaken the March kits that March and Summit sell for LA Blocks are all underdrive. The only High Flow March serpentine kit is painted black. I'm building a stroker so I am very wary about underdrive kits.

If I am not mistaken the March kits that March and Summit sell for LA Blocks are all underdrive. The only High Flow March serpentine kit is painted black. I'm building a stroker so I am very wary about underdrive kits.

I have the March pulleys and have no issues at all with cooling or charging. Stock radiator and 60 amp alternator. Just my .02

A serpentine system is nice but...

My engine is built for and has seen 8000 many times. I have never lost a belt. I did have to change to a larger alternator pulley to (Moroso deep grove).

The alternator was spinning so fast that it would rip it's guts out.

An option would be playing with belt brands. Some have ribs on the back side, some on the pulley side and some none at all.

I had a chevelle that would constantly toss a belt at about 6500. A brand and style change solved this.

-
Back