Who's running green bearings?

-

entropy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm gonna replace my axles with some BBP units, and I'm debating the use of green bearings. I read somewhere (Mopar Muscle I think) that the green bearings are great for the strip, but that they don't stand up well to regular street use.

So I figured I would ask around to see what some real-world users think. Anybody have any feedback??

Thanks.

Well I've got about 20 miles on mine and they've held up great! LOL. I just upgraded to BBP too with Yukon axles and green bearings and I hope they last a while. Good thread, cant wait to see some feedback

Mike

Some people consider Greens on par with the anti-Christ. You'll hear arguments for and against. I've got them installed but haven't run them yet. Personally, unless you plan on drifting in your Mopar :) , I wouldn't worry about it and just run them.

I've been running them for 2 yrs. with no problems mind you I've probably only put on 5K since the car only goes out stang hunting on weekends, shows and minimal strip time.

Terry

I've got a couple of thousnd miles on mine. No problems. If you look at the (ford) 9" it has used that type of bearing for years and has a good rep. I peronally think all the negative came from the purists. if your putting BBP axles in your car its no longer original so in there eyes you just comitted a sin and will be struck down and punished!! LOL
Personally the green bearings work for me and I don't have to adjust axle end play every time I change gears.

I've been running the green bearings for about 8k miles with no issues. swapped to the BBP and mosier axles. I've heard rumors that they don't hold up to extreme side loads but, Who knows for sure. I think I'll just run mine till my axles fall out and my 904 splits in half:)

i'm one to run factory style bearings, i do like to cut corners where my car will stick and i'll get sideways enough. lol. No worries here with stockers, endplay isn't a huge deal. just my 2cents, someone's gotta support stockers in this thread! lol

I put the green bearings on my axles about 3 years ago.
I have put on more that 5000 miles on them. No problems.
Works great at the strip and on highway. And you don't have to
worry about adjusting the bearing preload. I switch gears out
about 2-3 times a summer when I go racing. It's nice to pull
out the axles and then slide them right back in. I can change
the gears out in about an hour at home with green bearings.

I haven't ever used them but agree with mod5v. The Ford 9" has used them for years and it holds up good so why wouldn't they work on ours. When I upgrade to better axles I'm going with them.

It depends what suregrip you use. The cone type that i have in my 3.23 center they work fine but the clutch type in my brother in laws 3.91 center stripped the end 1/4" off of my splines. I think the green bearings moved the axles out slightly and didnt get enough grip on the splines of the inner portion of the suregrip. Someone here probably saw me attempt to launch at E-town 2 years ago, all you heard was a pop and a grinding sound, it did limp off under its own power. If I were to do it again I would go with stockers.

I've been running a clutch type for 2 yrs with green bearings and mosier axles and no issues. I haven't been to the strip but have done more than a few full pedal burnouts and such.

I've got them and have one summer season of use. No problems at all. I like the easy gear changes that you get with them, I go from a 3:23 to a 3:73 depending how I feel and where I am crusing.

oh what the hell... I'm going for the greens. What's the worst that could happen...
I totally destroy my 8 3/4 and am forced to upgrade to a Strange 60! :-D

i have had green bearings in my sart now for about 12 years and have had no problems... the car was a daily driver for years back then and gets the living crap beat out of it..

Is the green bearing myth dead yet?
NO WAY !!!
IF ITS A DAILY DRIVER OR SOMETHING YOU RUN FAIRLY HARD LIKE I DO STAY WITH TAPERED BEARINGS.
MY CHALLENGER WAS A DAILY FOR YEARS WITH THE GREEN BEARINGS THEN IT STARTED GETTING WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A DRIVE LINE VIBRATION SO I WENT THROUGH IT, SWAPPING UJOINTS, HAVING THE DRIVELINE BALANCED,REBUILDING THE THIRD MEMBER,AND EVEN CHANGING THE TRANS, ONLY TO FIND OUT IT WAS THOSE GREEN BEARINGS SO I ASSUMED THEY WERE JUST WORE OUT SO I PUT A SET OF COMPETITION ENGINEERING BEARINGS IN ANOTHER YEAR AND THE SAME PROBLEM.
I SWAPPED TO THE ORIGINALS AFTER I TRACKED DOWN THE RETAINING PLATES AND HAVENT HAD A PROBLEM SINCE APPROX 7 YRS

I bought a used 8-3/4 rear from under a forest service pickup couple of years ago. When I pulled the rear end apart I found that it had Green bearings! The rancher I bought the rear end from said the last maintenance the truck got before I robbed the rear end, except for an occasional oil change ( he said he usually just added oil) and an alternator replacement, was in the neighborhood of 100,00 miles. The pickup made "rough condition" take on an all new meaning. Somewhere in it's service life someone had apparently put in the green bearings as standard replacement bearings and changed the low forest service gears to 3:23s. If the Greens held up to the treatment this truck obviously received I think they will hold up fine in any street car.

I've been running green bearings for 2 years now with no problems. I run a spool and moser axles. I did blow the 8 3/4 up last year. The clutch style twisted and bent the bolts for the main caps. The axles and bearings were just fine.

I'm assuming that "green bearings are ball type vs tapered roller. Is that a correct assumption? What shade of green are they? Would they match my Duster? LOL

Just some basic truths related to this topic:

1) Old school gearheads (which I am one, BTW) tend to doubt new stuff and like to poo poo new stuff.

2) Any moving part can fail for reasons totally unrelated to it's original fitness and suitability for purpose.

3) The ball (Green) bearings were originally designed as a stock replacement for the tapered (Timken) rollers.

Will tapered bearings better withstand lateral force? Of course. How much more and how much is too much? You'd have to ask the bearing designers. Kinda like a 400hp car being 2 lengths behind a 500hp car? They're both getting the job done pretty well and they both have about the same chance of hitting the wall after the driver screws up.

-
Back