Who's using a Molnar 4" crank?

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
If your using a Molnar crank what rod bearings are you using? Dropped the crank in my 408 today to replace the broken junk Eagle crank and I tried to use Speed pro (Federal Mogul) 8-7125CH chamfered bearings but they don't have enough chamfer. I used them on the Eagle crank and they worked fine but it seems the Molnar has a little more radius. Has anyone modified their bearings for more chamfer? I've heard of it being done but have never had to do it nor seen it done. What do you use?

If your using a Molnar crank what rod bearings are you using? Dropped the crank in my 408 today to replace the broken junk Eagle crank and I tried to use Speed pro (Federal Mogul) 8-7125CH chamfered bearings but they don't have enough chamfer. I used them on the Eagle crank and they worked fine but it seems the Molnar has a little more radius. Has anyone modified their bearings for more chamfer? I've heard of it being done but have never had to do it nor seen it done. What do you use?

You need to use Clevite H series bearings! I don't have the part# on hand but it will end in HNX which is the narrow bearing with a chamfer.
His Cranks and finish work are excellent. I use them often.
Brian

Thanks Brian. I see them listed on Summit. Appreciate the info. It is finished beautifully. Journal diameters all checked out very consistent

Saw your Pop earlier this week. You were out somewhere.

Bearing knife. Chamfered my own. saved $60. I ended up hitting them with a die grinder as the scraper was taking forever. I went from a cast stock to a cast aftermarket thaqt had fillets. Why are they $60 more than stockers? Seems you could just market these and they would fit everything.

HXN breakdown:
H high performance
X +.001 (XX .002)
N Narrow

Bearing knife. Chamfered my own. saved $60. I ended up hitting them with a die grinder as the scraper was taking forever. I went from a cast stock to a cast aftermarket thaqt had fillets. Why are they $60 more than stockers? Seems you could just market these and they would fit everything.

HXN breakdown:
H high performance
X +.001 (XX .002)
N Narrow

I'm thinking it wouldn't take much to make mine work. Their already the narrow bearing and claim to have a chamfer, just need a little more. Where does a person get a bearing knife? I've looked all over and even googled it can't come up with somebody that sells one. I thought about using a die grinder but I'm not very steady handed anymore.

...............Personally, I would just buy the right bearings.....but just remember u just can't take material from 1 side..........kim...........

...............Personally, I would just buy the right bearings.....but just remember u just can't take material from 1 side..........kim...........

I did order the ones Brian recommended (in std size as Rob pointed out).

I figured I didn't have much to lose giving it a try at clearancing the bearings I had but they needed a lot more than I originally thought so I gave up and ordered the correct ones.

Thanks to everyone for their input

-
Back