why a custom built converter isn't for everyone....

do you agree with the 1st post?

• yes, I agree

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Nope, I disagree

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters
-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Call PTC, Ultimate, or anyone else. Tell them your build from bumper to bumper, and they build you a converter specific to your car. Sounds good, and it is. But that doesn't work for me and here's why. My combo changes like the wind. The TC built is now the wrong TC because I swapped cams, gears, or even engines. Yep, I could send it back and have it rebuilt for every mod change, but I don't want to pay 300 for every change I make to the car. So, a general purpose of the car "off the shelf" quality converter is best for some people.

For me, it depends on the intended use of the car and whether you're looking for every last ounce of performance. Like anything else, you've got to weigh the costs and potential benefits.

Luckily my combination never changes much, so the 5k Dynamic converters I have serves me well. At least the one for the 727 has held up well, we will see how the new one for the 904 performs behind the 416. I filled out the spec sheet & they built it from that.

Last edited:
Call PTC, Ultimate, or anyone else. Tell them your build from bumper to bumper, and they build you a converter specific to your car. Sounds good, and it is. But that doesn't work for me and here's why. My combo changes like the wind. The TC built is now the wrong TC because I swapped cams, gears, or even engines. Yep, I could send it back and have it rebuilt for every mod change, but I don't want to pay 300 for every change I make to the car. So, a general purpose of the car "off the shelf" quality converter is best for some people.

That’s on you. Evidently you don’t optimize anything, you just change for change sake.

For the VAST majority of everyone else out there, a custom converter is as important as a custom cam. Do them both.

My friend just had a local torque converter company do him a converter. You couldn’t even drive the car.

600 buck and a bunch of extra, needless work he now has a converter than add took a car that was worthless to a car that turns heads.

I will never understand why this is ever in question. Unless you are doing dead stock stuff, you should get a custom cam and converter.

I tell people don’t be penny wise and pound foolish

You need to get the right converter for your combination or in your case, keep modifying things until you get to a point where you need a different converter. Cam size, rear gear and rear tire size seem to be the most important. Yes, you could get a completely wrong converter for your combination. Put a big cam in that idles at 1000+ with a stock converter and you need a higher stall. If it doesn't make power until 3000+ you need a higher stall for it to work good/better.

That’s on you. Evidently you don’t optimize anything, you just change for change sake.

For the VAST majority of everyone else out there, a custom converter is as important as a custom cam. Do them both.

My friend just had a local torque converter company do him a converter. You couldn’t even drive the car.

600 buck and a bunch of extra, needless work he now has a converter than add took a car that was worthless to a car that turns heads.

I will never understand why this is ever in question. Unless you are doing dead stock stuff, you should get a custom cam and converter.

I tell people don’t be penny wise and pound foolish
Call a custom cam grinder... "need to know what converter you are using" . So call the custom converter shop "need to know your cam specifics..."

For however the car is when you call the convertor company, having a vert built specific to the combo is always the best way to go.
Zero situation when it isn't optimal.
Changing stuff every other day is fine, but is has nothing to do with custom convertor selection

Super Holeshot would do you ok. LOL
lol... IF a guy builds his combo and doesn't intend to change anything, custom is great. IF you are trying different cam/heads, even different engines and gear ratios, then the custom converter is pointless UNLESS you send it off for each and every mod that is done. I don't have 5,000 dollars in converter funds to keep up with my forever changing part swaps :) Make that 50,000 for all 10 cars :D

Think about what I just quoted of what you said ^^^ LOL. Changing parts IS optimizing the build. If I didn't, we wouldn't know the 750 DP would outperform the 770 VS on my Duster, now would we :D

Call a custom cam grinder... "need to know what converter you are using" . So call the custom converter shop "need to know your cam specifics..."

I’ve never EVER had a cam grinder ask me that. If he did, I’d tell him get his junk **** cam right and let me worry about the converter.

Then I’d never call that company again.

Think about what I just quoted of what you said ^^^ LOL. Changing parts IS optimizing the build. If I didn't, we wouldn't know the 750 DP would outperform the 770 VS on my Duster, now would we :D

No it’s not. Your changing parts, your aren’t tuning anything. Don’t confuse the matter. If you can’t pick a set of heads or whatever...and your carb example above is lame. No carb is going to change converter need like that. If you go from a single 4 to a TR them you’ll need a different converter, and a different cam.

You come up with some off the wall, wacky crap for sure.

THis stalls at any speed that you choose!

SST 13.jpg
SST 17.jpg

I’ve never EVER had a cam grinder ask me that. If he did, I’d tell him get his junk **** cam right and let me worry about the converter.

Then I’d never call that company again.
you do realize, I'm sure, that nobody knows the absolute correct answer. Call 2 of the best cam grinders (or converter companies) you know and give the same info. Don't tell them that you called both of them. Let them both grind you cam (or build you a converter), and I don't think every characteristic of the will be the same. Even though both "work", which one is wrong? Or is there two right answers.... ???

I disagreed because some will chose a tight converter for drivability. A converter built to the high stall specs of 340/383/Hemis of the sixtys would work great for a stout bigblock stroker as an example.
Obviously any choice like this is a compromize. But the choice is you know how it will work for cruising.

you do realize, I'm sure, that nobody knows the absolute correct answer. Call 2 of the best cam grinders (or converter companies) you know and give the same info. Don't tell them that you called both of them. Let them both grind you cam, and I don't think every characteristic of the will be the same. Even though both "work", which one is wrong? Or is there two right answers.... ???

No kidding? I get that. The difference is you build a relationship over the PHONE with a cam grinder, a converter guy, a clutch guy...whatever. Then you’ll get what you need.

When I was ordering 8-10 cams a month I stopped using the phone, and faxed in the details. They would fax back what they wanted and if I didn’t see something I thought was wacky, I signed off on it and 4-5 days later it was at the shop.

And not a single one of those cams didn’t do what I wanted. Not one.

It’s the same with converters. When I call PTC I get the same guy, every time. If he’s not there, I call back.

You can set up all the straw men you want, but it’s 2021 and this shouldn’t even be a question.

I get it. You made this thread to get a bunch of people to agree with you. I’m ok with that. Doesn’t make it the correct way to do it.
LOL... you are so wrong. I didn't make a thread to get folks to agree with me. Never have done that. I just thought your straw men quote was funny. You made me chuckle right here on the couch.

Okay, since you posted this question in the Racer's Forum, I can tell you right now what the consensus will be: every tenth counts, most every change changes your parameters.
But from a street perspective, your original statement carries some validity. Select a convertor based on your engine build; ie intended use, torque curve and RPM range. If, after your build has been sorted out and finalized (and happy with it), you feel you could benefit from a custom convertor (and you usually can), then have one built to maximize your final setup. Otherwise you get caught up on the tweak this/change that merry-go-round. Most "street only" guys would like to arrive at a final, satisfying combo that they can drive and enjoy, and not worry about constant wrenching to wring out that last hundredth.
Been on both sides of the fence, so I'm just being Devil's Advocate here and adding my 2 cents.

LOL... you are so wrong. I didn't make a thread to get folks to agree with me. Never have done that. I just thought your straw men quote was funny. You made me chuckle right here on the couch.

Glad for that, but it doesn’t change the fact it’s a truth. You’ll find everything you can to support a weak position, and this thread was started to fluff your ego.

I’m good with that.

I get it. You made this thread to get a bunch of people to agree with you. I’m ok with that. Doesn’t make it the correct way to do it.
My budget says I get to spend money once on a converter. I want it to back up my 5.9 that's going in Drag TRuck. But eventually, I'm putting a 440 in it and I don't want to buy twice. I know, you'll say I can't afford to play. Exactly why I did the low dollar 318, I can play, and play successfully. I will on the converter too :)

-
Back