why a custom built converter isn't for everyone....

do you agree with the 1st post?

• yes, I agree

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Nope, I disagree

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters
-
When I "finish" my build I'll definitely be doing a custom converter to optimize how it drives. For now my rebuilt stock with a "2500" stall for 200 bucks is working just "fine," but I know with a custom converter from a proven company it will enhance the driving experience so much more.

This is 100% correct and the more I fight with my trans the more I think about going manual. Then I remember I really want to not have to shift gears on the weekend lol.

It’s ok to do what you are doing. What is crazy is trying to convince everyone that any old converter will get the job done. I can tell you from 40 years of experience the number one killer of performance is poor torque converter selection, flowed by bad cam choices.

custom converter is NOT needed for most builds. how many need to get 100% from the street driven/ friday night drag car? off the shelf will do just fine 95-99% of the time.
the topic of a custom cam came up again and yes i will say it again.... a custom cam is NOT needed for most builds.

I would suspect you’ve never used either, because experience says you give up way too much. You save ZERO buying a custom cam. You save NOTHING, and some cam grinders are cheaper for their custom grinds than some of the big companies are for their off the shelf junk.

600 bucks for a converter that drives like a stocker but will flash to peak torque or a bit higher is cheap money spent.

Those who’ve never done it will never understand what they give up to save a little money. I call it stepping over donuts to pick up dog turds.

It’s ok to do what you are doing. What is crazy is trying to convince everyone that any old converter will get the job done. I can tell you from 40 years of experience the number one killer of performance is poor torque converter selection, flowed by bad cam choices.
LOL... I only referenced "for me". Who is trying to convince anyone?? I only stated why it wasn't right for me. Who said "old converter"? Not me or anyone else that I've read.. .LOL Man, talking about adding, subtracting, or being delusional to hear, see, and read things that were never said, viewed, or written. LOL :D

lol... IF a guy builds his combo and doesn't intend to change anything, custom is great. IF you are trying different cam/heads, even different engines and gear ratios, then the custom converter is pointless UNLESS you send it off for each and every mod that is done. I don't have 5,000 dollars in converter funds to keep up with my forever changing part swaps :) Make that 50,000 for all 10 cars :D
So for all ur mods ur just running the factory stock converter? So then u really don’t understand converter technology do u? Kim

So for all ur mods ur just running the factory stock converter? Kim
All my vehicles right now have factory stock converters, except I can't say for the '79 Magnum I just bought. I will be purchasing a couple converters in the future for a couple vehicles i have.

So for all ur mods ur just running the factory stock converter? Kim

I didn’t quote you. Don’t make things up. Like I said, this is about you wanting (needing is more like it) peer acceptance of your methods.

Doesn’t matter to me what YOU do, but other people read this stuff and then down the road when they are all jacked up, someone has to unscrew what they have screwed up. That’s more time, more money and a giant waste. It makes people LEAVE the hobby.

Since you evidently have never been in this business you have no idea how this type of thing spreads. Piss poor information is just that.

I still see guys who should know better telling people the exact wrong way to set power valve opening. And these idiots will argue all day long they are right, because that’s what the books told them.

Do what you want, just don’t tell everyone it’s the best way to do it.

I did it "WRONG", but it is right for me. I bought an unused PTC 8" off of Marketplace for a good price. I asked the seller what he had it built for, and it was a similar cubic inch and weight as my build.

I know it will not be a perfect match, and if it is way off. I can send it in for a restall and still be money ahead. This works for me to at least get on the road.

I am glad that some are able to do it right the first time, but for some of us that is not possible, so we do the best we can with what we have.

That is what is great about this hobby, you can have fun with whatever fits your situation, and appreciate what others have done too.
How did the 8" PTC work? Was this a street ride? If so better than a 9.5" converter?

Just responding to the title alone I would agree as it’s a truism. But as to the actual post it seems you’re just reasoning why you don’t need to call for a custom converter. So you have a build you say you likely will change to a point that you would need a different converter. Assuming you bought an off the shelf converter that actually was ideal (it is possible) for your current combo, do you then go out and buy another off the shelf? And hope it’s again ideal? What price range are you shopping for off the shelf’s? I bought a 10” Turbo Action that is listed in their catalog, they have three versions of their 10”, with instructions on how to pick the correct one. These are all at a certain price point, close to $550-$600 iirc, and in a catalog. I guess they’re considered off the shelf as they have a part number assigned to them but mine was built after I ordered it. If I called TA and wanted a truly custom converter I know it’ll be a lot more than what I paid for my 10”r. If I was 100% race I’d call for a custom converter and expect to pay Ultimate Converters type prices. I’m thinking there are people who just won’t pay those prices and just find ways to explain and maybe try to convince others hoping for agreement. Buy what you can afford and who cares.:thumbsup:

It all boils down to how much u want to leave on the table. I see guys all the time build the motor, tranny and rear diff. New carb then run their old factory converter or something g with lower stall then they need then wonder why their car under performs. Converter technology is light years ahead of years gone by. Kim

Just responding to the title alone I would agree as it’s a truism. But as to the actual post it seems you’re just reasoning why you don’t need to call for a custom converter. So you have a build you say you likely will change to a point that you would need a different converter. Assuming you bought an off the shelf converter that actually was ideal (it is possible) for your current combo, do you then go out and buy another off the shelf? And hope it’s again ideal? What price range are you shopping for off the shelf’s? I bought a 10” Turbo Action that is listed in their catalog, they have three versions of their 10”, with instructions on how to pick the correct one. These are all at a certain price point, close to $550-$600 iirc, and in a catalog. I guess they’re considered off the shelf as they have a part number assigned to them but mine was built after I ordered it. If I called TA and wanted a truly custom converter I know it’ll be a lot more than what I paid for my 10”r. If I was 100% race I’d call for a custom converter and expect to pay Ultimate Converters type prices. I’m thinking there are people who just won’t pay those prices and just find ways to explain and maybe try to convince others hoping for agreement. Buy what you can afford and who cares.:thumbsup:
Sorry for the length, but please read.

The project in mind is our "Drag Truck". Doesn't mean it will be a bracket racer or anything of the sort. We call it that because were going to hop-chop it to go "fast" and then we'll pound the stuffings out of it. No big money build. Currently 318, going to be 360 in the spring, and eventually a 440. I'm going to get a converter that will work behind the 360 and 440. Not spending money twice. It may be a little "tight" for the 5.9, but the torque of the 440 should be "good" for what we are doing. My point of this thread is a lot of builds are pattern exactly like this truck. Like us, a 1300 dollar truck, a 600 dollar motor, and all the guru's show up and say they NEED to buy a 1000 dollar converter.. LOL. My point is custom converters are the best way to go, but not every build has to have one. And, they shouldn't be insulted or degraded because they bought even a 300 dollar hughes converter. Some people don't understand this fun, but I want put this thread out there for poor kids or families having fun like we are to say "hey, go ahead, it's ok" :)

It all boils down to how much u want to leave on the table. I see guys all the time build the motor, tranny and rear diff. New carb then run their old factory converter or something g with lower stall then they need then wonder why their car under performs. Converter technology is light years ahead of years gone by. Kim
I'm going to answer your question to me in post 55 that "I really don't understand converters, do I?" The answer is "yes", I do understand them.

Interesting thread......

Next time you order your custom converter ask the guy how they actually come to the conclusion of "where" they should set the stall at. :lol:

My combo changes like the wind.

What do you really change.... heads, intakes and carbs?

Are you really moving the the torque peak around that much that you need to get a different converter?

What do you really change.... heads, intakes and carbs?

Are you really moving the the torque peak around that much that you need to get a different converter?
heads, intakes, carbs, engines, gears.... LOL

I would suspect you’ve never used either, because experience says you give up way too much. You save ZERO buying a custom cam. You save NOTHING, and some cam grinders are cheaper for their custom grinds than some of the big companies are for their off the shelf junk.

600 bucks for a converter that drives like a stocker but will flash to peak torque or a bit higher is cheap money spent.

Those who’ve never done it will never understand what they give up to save a little money. I call it stepping over donuts to pick up dog turds.

ya i was dumb enough to follow the "need custom this and custom that crap'' years ago.
i have noticed you like to shoot your fingers off with all your fancy talk but i don't by your hog wash.
i don't have a dog so i can't pick up dog turds but i will have a donut.
i'll continue to run my car with off the sheft parts and beat the fancy stroker engines with the custom parts to are matched to there combos. oh ya i beat the strokers with a stock bottom end 1974 360'' and old junk iron W2's that don't flow over 300 cfm, and a solid lift off the shelf cam from Hughes. i should also mention that my converter is also not matched to my car. i bought it used.

so i guess after i'm done having a donut, i should go out and get me a dog

edit, i guess i should also mention i have old crappy 1-5/8'' LA headers instead of W2 headers, my bad. i do everything wrong

heads, intakes, carbs, engines, gears.... LOL

I've seen 2 different brands of converters with different stall sizes stall at the same rpm in the same engine but then after a few changes the higher rated converter managed to get a little more rpm. The first was rated at 3200 where it stalled at the other I was told would stall between 3400-3800.

ya i was dumb enough to follow the "need custom this and custom that crap'' years ago.
i have noticed you like to shoot your fingers off with all your fancy talk but i don't by your hog wash.
i don't have a dog so i can't pick up dog turds but i will have a donut.
i'll continue to run my car with off the sheft parts and beat the fancy stroker engines with the custom parts to are matched to there combos. oh ya i beat the strokers with a stock bottom end 1974 360'' and old junk iron W2's that don't flow over 300 cfm, and a solid lift off the shelf cam from Hughes. i should also mention that my converter is also not matched to my car. i bought it used.

so i guess after i'm done having a donut, i should go out and get me a dog

edit, i guess i should also mention i have old crappy 1-5/8'' LA headers instead of W2 headers, my bad. i do everything wrong

I’m not selling you anything. Run all the junk you want.

Sorry for the length, but please read.

The project in mind is our "Drag Truck". Doesn't mean it will be a bracket racer or anything of the sort. We call it that because were going to hop-chop it to go "fast" and then we'll pound the stuffings out of it. No big money build. Currently 318, going to be 360 in the spring, and eventually a 440. I'm going to get a converter that will work behind the 360 and 440. Not spending money twice. It may be a little "tight" for the 5.9, but the torque of the 440 should be "good" for what we are doing. My point of this thread is a lot of builds are pattern exactly like this truck. Like us, a 1300 dollar truck, a 600 dollar motor, and all the guru's show up and say they NEED to buy a 1000 dollar converter.. LOL. My point is custom converters are the best way to go, but not every build has to have one. And, they shouldn't be insulted or degraded because they bought even a 300 dollar hughes converter. Some people don't understand this fun, but I want put this thread out there for poor kids or families having fun like we are to say "hey, go ahead, it's ok" :)

Who said a 1000 dollar converter? You’re a street guy right? You will give up driveability every single time doing what you are doing.

I’d say run whatever converter you have for anything except the 440, which is the engine it sounds like you want in the end. You can buy a great converter for 600 bucks. That’s dirt cheap when you see the performance difference.

Or, you may be like the guy above who throws junk together and outruns the world with it. In that case you should write a book.

Last edited:
LOL... I only referenced "for me". Who is trying to convince anyone?? I only stated why it wasn't right for me. Who said "old converter"? Not me or anyone else that I've read.. .LOL Man, talking about adding, subtracting, or being delusional to hear, see, and read things that were never said, viewed, or written. LOL :D
Torco oil and delusional this could only be one person...:D...
Let me guess you're stepping over donuts to pick up dog turds??... LOL....:rolleyes:...

-
Back