why a custom built converter isn't for everyone....

do you agree with the 1st post?

• yes, I agree

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Nope, I disagree

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters
-
Switch the Cordoba power train into one of the Dusters. While he's got the engine and tranny out of the Cordova he can see what he's got for a converter.
Not a bad plan! I'd like to put a 383 in a Duster. I haven't the slightest idea of a plan for the 'doba, and I'm not sure why I bought it other than it's a BB B-body Mopar :D :D :D My wife want's to clean the interior.... you know what happens if she takes a like into it... same thing that happened to '77 RC. I work a year on it!

or if you switched the combo from the Duster to the Cordoba.

Switch the Cordoba power train into one of the Dusters. While he's got the engine and tranny out of the Cordova he can see what he's got for a converter.
alright... means nobody else is going to fix this, I will. It's a Magnum!!! Not Cordoba... LOL. Made 2 yrs for NASCAR, raced by Richard Petty and Marty Robbins, and Kyle Petty won with it!!!! And someone on my channel named it DRAGNUM :D

alright... means nobody else is going to fix this, I will. It's a Magnum!!! Not Cordoba... LOL. Made 2 yrs for NASCAR, raced by Richard Petty and Marty Robbins, and Kyle Petty won with it!!!! And someone on my channel named it DRAGNUM :D
IT'S NOT A LITTLE! LOL...:rofl:...

you do realize, I'm sure, that nobody knows the absolute correct answer. Call 2 of the best cam grinders (or converter companies) you know and give the same info. Don't tell them that you called both of them. Let them both grind you cam (or build you a converter), and I don't think every characteristic of the will be the same. Even though both "work", which one is wrong? Or is there two right answers.... ???
Id be willing to say call the same company twice and on different days and you would get different answers.

You want some cheese to go with that whine.

Imo i think it depends. If you are building a purpose build race car and that is the only thing your gonna do with it then yea a custom single use converter is probably necessary. But (and yea i know were on the racers forum) but the way we use our cars, and by we i mean guys like you, me, j par, jaba, sam, etc the guys that actually drive their cars ( or want to lol) then a multi purpose converter would be nice. I know when i asked on here about a stall multiple people told me 3500 when i called the company (brand converter i purchased) they told me do not get a stall higher than my cruising speed or lower than my cam power start. My cam (power range) is from 1500-5000 and my cruising rpm is around 2800 so i chose a stall that was 1600-2200 now granted that 3500 stall that everyone recommended may give me a better quartermile time but thats not my goal.

Imo i think it depends. If you are building a purpose build race car and that is the only thing your gonna do with it then yea a custom single use converter is probably necessary. But (and yea i know were on the racers forum) but the way we use our cars, and by we i mean guys like you, me, j par, jaba, sam, etc the guys that actually drive their cars ( or want to lol) then a multi purpose converter would be nice. I know when i asked on here about a stall multiple people told me 3500 when i called the company (brand converter i purchased) they told me do not get a stall higher than my cruising speed or lower than my cam power start. My cam (power range) is from 1500-5000 and my cruising rpm is around 2800 so i chose a stall that was 1600-2200 now granted that 3500 stall that everyone recommended may give me a better quartermile time but thats not my goal.

I don’t know who you called but they screwed you. You can buy a converter that will flash to 3500 easily and drive like it’s 2200. Have one in the shop in getting ready to install, and just helped a buddy with the same thing.

It’s not 1980 anymore. Don’t know how many times I can say that. If they told you a 3500 converter was too loose and you ended up with a 2200, you gave up driveability. Exactly what you didn’t want to give up.

I don’t know who you called but they screwed you. You can buy a converter that will flash to 3500 easily and drive like it’s 2200. Have one in the shop in getting ready to install, and just helped a buddy with the same thing.

It’s not 1980 anymore. Don’t know how many times I can say that. If they told you a 3500 converter was too loose and you ended up with a 2200, you gave up driveability. Exactly what you didn’t want to give up.
How exactly does a lower stall give up drivability? Performance i get but drivability i don't understand

How exactly does a lower stall give up drivability? Performance i get but drivability i don't understand

Because the way that tight converter loads the engine. You want the converter to flash above your lowest cruise RPM. I’m betting whoever it was sold you a converter with an 11 inch case. I would think a 10 inch case would be the biggest and probably a 9.5 inch case would have been better. It may have only went 3000-3200 but that’s a grand above what you have.

Those tight converters load the engine harder at lower RPM, changes the timing curve you can run and affects how the engine makes RPM.

All driveablity factors.

Because the way that tight converter loads the engine. You want the convethere rter to flash above your lowest cruise RPM. I’m betting whoever it was sold you a converter with an 11 inch case. I would think a 10 inch case would be the biggest and probably a 9.5 inch case would have been better. It may have only went 3000-3200 but that’s a grand above what you have.

Those tight converters load the engine harder at lower RPM, changes the timing curve you can run and affects how the engine makes RPM.

All driveablity factors.
You have to also figure my budget. I got an 11 inch for under 300 your gonna pay well over 500 for a 9.5

To be completely honest i got my converter from a member here who was selling it used it was a low mileage converter and i got it for $175 bucks shipped and insurance. Its a boss hogg brand i called and talked to them about it and they actually recommended the next one up but said it would work with my combo.

Call PTC, Ultimate, or anyone else. Tell them your build from bumper to bumper, and they build you a converter specific to your car. Sounds good, and it is. But that doesn't work for me and here's why. My combo changes like the wind. The TC built is now the wrong TC because I swapped cams, gears, or even engines. Yep, I could send it back and have it rebuilt for every mod change, but I don't want to pay 300 for every change I make to the car. So, a general purpose of the car "off the shelf" quality converter is best for some people.

Then swap to a manual transmission. Over and done.

That’s on you. Evidently you don’t optimize anything, you just change for change sake.

For the VAST majority of everyone else out there, a custom converter is as important as a custom cam. Do them both.

My friend just had a local torque converter company do him a converter. You couldn’t even drive the car.

600 buck and a bunch of extra, needless work he now has a converter than add took a car that was worthless to a car that turns heads.

I will never understand why this is ever in question. Unless you are doing dead stock stuff, you should get a custom cam and converter.

I tell people don’t be penny wise and pound foolish

I have to agree. Even as mild as my 400 is, I would spring for a custom converter were I running a 727. I think it might be even more important for mild applications, because they need all the help they can get to get power to the ground. Just an observation.

We tried. But he got what he got.

To be completely honest i got my converter from a member here who was selling it used it was a low mileage converter and i got it for $175 bucks shipped and insurance. Its a boss hogg brand i called and talked to them about it and they actually recommended the next one up but said it would work with my combo.

That could work out in your favor. Boss Hog converters have a real shitty reputation for being loose. If they said you need the next one up, then you might be right on the money with what you have. There sure are better converters out there. Those things are for the Chevy boys so they can say they have a stall. They love those things. As always, make something with a cool name and all the Chevy guys will jump all over it.

I hope that boss hogg doesn't kill your transmission. Not known for being a good piece.

Here's the thing with converters. It is THE most important drivetrain item in an auto car.... PERIOD!

I have a 4K flash converter that drive TIGHTER on cruise than a 2500 stall shelf converter. The stall is not the only parameter in getting the thing right.

That could work out in your favor. Boss Hog converters have a real shitty reputation for being loose. If they said you need the next one up, then you might be right on the money with what you have. There sure are better converters out there. Those things are for the Chevy boys so they can say they have a stall. They love those things. As always, make something with a cool name and all the Chevy guys will jump all over it.
Thats funny because my machinist recommended me the boss and he is a Chevy guy hahaha

I hope that boss hogg doesn't kill your transmission. Not known for being a good piece.

Here's the thing with converters. It is THE most important drivetrain item in an auto car.... PERIOD!

I have a 4K flash converter that drive TIGHTER on cruise than a 2500 stall shelf converter. The stall is not the only parameter in getting the thing right.

And no matter how HARD you try and help people with that they just don't listen.

@66fs Will tell you. He actually listened to me about converter choice and he couldn't be happier.

These guys know way to much... Just complete your car and have fun.. there not saving you any money.

Yup. That was actually the next thing I was gonna tell him. Just keep pluggin and get it done. He has what he has so use it.

I'll jump in here and add my thoughts. It seems like alot of people equate custom with extra cost, and that is many times the case. On convertors there are different grades of custom. Everything from reworking, and reflashing a stock unit, to a full billet piece, all fall under custom. In 318's case, a reworked stocker might be the ticket, or even a mild new unit from someone Edge Racing Converter at less then $400 and not break the bank. Either would allow for some mild changes before needing an update, but at some point if there is enough changes, then it SHOULD be redone. Can you go fast with an off the shelf convertor, sure, but PROBABLY not as fast as if it were optimised. That is just my experience,I'll just leave it at that.

And no matter how HARD you try and help people with that they just don't listen.
Speaking for myself there is a difference between not listening and just not being able to do what your saying. Lol you can tell me about this magical 4000 stall converter that drives like a telsa but it cost 1500 bucks well thats Great but if I had to have that my car will set parked for another 2 or 3 years lol I doubt you will remember but when my 318 plans went bad and I decided to build the 360 instead that was 2 years ago!! It took me 2 years to come up with the funds to build a budget 360! Its not that im not listening its just I can't do it. A used 175 dollar boss hogg is better than nothing and if it ain't I guess it will be parked for another 2 years while I'm saving up on that 200000 rpm stall converter for a stock 360! :rolleyes:

What is the difference between a flash stall and regular stall?

-
Back