why a custom built converter isn't for everyone....

do you agree with the 1st post?

• yes, I agree

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Nope, I disagree

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters
-
Okay, since you posted this question in the Racer's Forum, I can tell you right now what the consensus will be: every tenth counts, most every change changes your parameters.
But from a street perspective, your original statement carries some validity. Select a convertor based on your engine build; ie intended use, torque curve and RPM range. If, after your build has been sorted out and finalized (and happy with it), you feel you could benefit from a custom convertor (and you usually can), then have one built to maximize your final setup. Otherwise you get caught up on the tweak this/change that merry-go-round. Most "street only" guys would like to arrive at a final, satisfying combo that they can drive and enjoy, and not worry about constant wrenching to wring out that last hundredth.
Been on both sides of the fence, so just being Devil's Advocate here and adding my 2 cents.

See post 4. I covered that with an example of a 100%street car running a 9.5 inch converter. You could drive the car and not even know that Contreras is in there.

It’s NOT 1980 any more.

Okay, since you posted this question in the Racer's Forum, I can tell you right now what the consensus will be: every tenth counts, most every change changes your parameters.
But from a street perspective, your original statement carries some validity. Select a convertor based on your engine build; ie intended use, torque curve and RPM range. If, after your build has been sorted out and finalized (and happy with it), you feel you could benefit from a custom convertor (and you usually can), then have one built to maximize your final setup. Otherwise you get caught up on the tweak this/change that merry-go-round. Most "street only" guys would like to arrive at a final, satisfying combo that they can drive and enjoy, and not worry about constant wrenching to wring out that last hundredth.
Been on both sides of the fence, so I'm just being Devil's Advocate here and adding my 2 cents.
Great Post, by the way. :)

My budget says I get to spend money once on a converter. I want it to back up my 5.9 that's going in Drag TRuck. But eventually, I'm putting a 440 in it and I don't want to buy twice. I know, you'll say I can't afford to play. Exactly why I did the low dollar 318, I can play, and play successfully. I will on the converter too :)

Wow. So you think going from a small block to a big block...piss on it dude. We can’t have a conversation because YOU aren’t capable of it.

Glad for that, but it doesn’t change the fact it’s a truth. You’ll find everything you can to support a weak position, and this thread was started to fluff your ego.

I’m good with that.
:D you are too funny. I have no ego. I don't chew people out and call them names. I'm no self appointed guru, nor has anyone else made me a guru. you spend 120 bucks on Torco oil, I'm happy for you and never said you shouldn't. Tony (70Aarcuda) buys dino oil at walmart. Nice! If you find ego here, you've struck fools gold! LOL. My name alone speaks for itself, 318willrun... just lowly me and a vote for the little guy.

318 you probably aren’t changing things that will make a monster change of HP. A custom converter for today’s combo will not be that far off tomorrow! Whatcha think?

I did it "WRONG", but it is right for me. I bought an unused PTC 8" off of Marketplace for a good price. I asked the seller what he had it built for, and it was a similar cubic inch and weight as my build.

I know it will not be a perfect match, and if it is way off. I can send it in for a restall and still be money ahead. This works for me to at least get on the road.

I am glad that some are able to do it right the first time, but for some of us that is not possible, so we do the best we can with what we have.

That is what is great about this hobby, you can have fun with whatever fits your situation, and appreciate what others have done too.

Wow. So you think going from a small block to a big block... We can’t have a conversation because YOU aren’t capable of it.
Ummm... yes! I'm installing a 5.9, but eventually a 440. Is that illegal? Most of us don't play the hobby the same way. IF you noticed, I enjoy the hobby. I'm very happy in it. It shows in my post, I hope! I'm never hateful, and I'm loving what I do!

:D you are too funny. I have no ego. I don't chew people out and call them names. I'm no self appointed guru, nor has anyone else made me a guru. you spend 120 bucks on Torco oil, I'm happy for you and never said you shouldn't. Tony (70Aarcuda) buys dino oil at walmart. Nice! If you find ego here, you've struck fools gold! LOL. My name alone speaks for itself, 318willrun... just lowly me and a vote for the little guy.

What you are doing is reinforcing ignorance. Carry on. I haven’t called you a name. I just pointed out the flaws in your argument.

If you think that the concept of, as you say in your first post “tuning up the combo” or however you put it includes wholesale changes in cam timing, carbs etc. you need to do that on a dyno.

Then you can make a reasonable and objective choice on converter. I do realize you think the dyno is a waste of time, but it would save you thousands of dollars.

That would require a paradigm shift in your thinking.

And I’d never tell you to use Torco, LAT or any other oil such as those. You don’t build anything that would require it.

So don’t mix in your personal issues.

318 you probably aren’t changing things that will make a monster change of HP. A custom converter for today’s combo will not be that far off tomorrow! Whatcha think?
I think the custom converter is the right way if you aren't changing things. But I change things way too often to see the benefit of a "purchase once custom converter"

Ummm... yes! I'm installing a 5.9, but eventually a 440. Is that illegal? Most of us don't play the hobby the same way. IF you noticed, I enjoy the hobby. I'm very happy in it. It shows in my post, I hope! I'm never hateful, and I'm loving what I do!

No, but it’s ignorant to make your first post as you did and then defend not buying a converter.

What you are doing is reinforcing ignorance. Carry on. I haven’t called you a name. I just pointed out the flaws in your argument.

If you think that the concept of, as you say in your first post “tuning up the combo” or however you put it includes wholesale changes in cam timing, carbs etc. you need to do that on a dyno.

Then you can make a reasonable and objective choice on converter. I do realize you think the dyno is a waste of time, but it would save you thousands of dollars.

That would require a paradigm shift in your thinking.

And I’d never tell you to use Torco, LAT or any other oil such as those. You don’t build anything that would require it.

So don’t mix in your personal issues.
You didn't call me a name and neither did I say that. Personal issues?? You are palm reading now ... LOL

No, but it’s ignorant to make your first post as you did and then defend not buying a converter.
my first post needs no defending. I believe, I stand by it, and everything else posted after it is just coffee shop talk :)

I did it "WRONG", but it is right for me. I bought an unused PTC 8" off of Marketplace for a good price. I asked the seller what he had it built for, and it was a similar cubic inch and weight as my build.

I know it will not be a perfect match, and if it is way off. I can send it in for a restall and still be money ahead. This works for me to at least get on the road.

I am glad that some are able to do it right the first time, but for some of us that is not possible, so we do the best we can with what we have.

That is what is great about this hobby, you can have fun with whatever fits your situation, and appreciate what others have done too.

There’s not a damn thing wrong with what you did. You bought something CLOSE, and if it’s not close enough you can get it tuned up and still save some money.

But, if you bought a converter for a blown alcohol Hemi and expected it to work in your 408 that would be insane. Much like this entire thread.

I spend way too much time unscrewing guys who read crap like this post and then do it wrong. I see how many guys leave the “hobby” because of threads just like this. The wasted time and money is staggering. The frustration of guys ending up with something they didn’t swans because a guy has a YouTube channel so they think he’s legit.

I gets frustrating unscrewing something that shouldn’t be a question any more. Unless you set up a straw man so that at every turn you can take him down and remake him.

Ridiculous really.

my first post needs no defending. I believe, I stand by it, and everything else posted after it is just coffee shop talk :)

No, at best it’s disingenuous. In reality it’s a fallacy. No one in their right mind build an engine, knowing they will change it at a later date and think the same parts will work on both.

You will certainly influence someone to make a wrong decision.

See post 4. I covered that with an example of a 100%street car running a 9.5 inch converter. You could drive the car and not even know that Contreras is in there.

It’s NOT 1980 any more.
I'm not disagreeing. Just saying to have your build finalized to the point that you can have a convertor built ONCE. Just my feelings on the "match the convertor to the cam" v.s. "match the cam to the convertor" debate. From a cash strapped street boy's point of view; get the best bang for the buck, but only spend the buck once if you can help it.
I know it's not 1980. I'm just a 16 year old trapped in a 60+ year old body playing with 50 year old cars and parts.

You brought up name calling. Want me to point it out for you?

Grow up.
I said I don't name call. Never said you called me anything. Grow Up?? Are you kidding?? Only difference between men and boyz is the price of the toys!!!! Just bought a '79 magnum on the cheap, did you see it?? Should be fun!! 383 with a slipping tranny! It's on my Utube sight! :D

Call a custom cam grinder... "need to know what converter you are using" . So call the custom converter shop "need to know your cam specifics..."
At that point again the intended purpose would need to be discussed for both of them...
Where you could do is have a different vehicle for a different purpose. Like have two Vans three cars and two trucks or maybe even more LOL and build each one for its own purpose...

I said I don't name call. Never said you called me anything. Grow Up?? Are you kidding?? Only difference between men and boyz is the price of the toys!!!! Just bought a '79 magnum on the cheap, did you see it?? Should be fun!! 383 with a slipping tranny! It's on my Utube sight! :D

I did see that and I’m a bit jealous. BTW, just got a video from a life long friend. She is teaching her grandkids what to call me when we get together. Uncle Timmy Sunshine is one of my many nicknames!! That one fits best.

Just an FYI.

I'm not disagreeing. Just saying to have your build finalized to the point that you can have a convertor built ONCE. Just my feelings on the "match the convertor to the cam" v.s. "match the cam to the convertor" debate. From a cash strapped street boy's point of view; get the best bang for the buck, but only spend the buck once if you can help it.
I know it's not 1980. I'm just a 16 year old trapped in a 60+ year old body playing with 50 year old cars and parts.

That’s why I pointed out that most of that stuff can be sorted out on the dyno. Contrary to popular belief, that’s a HUGE money saver.

That’s why I pointed out that most of that stuff can be sorted out on the dyno. Contrary to popular belief, that’s a HUGE money saver.
That's where I was going with the "Have your build finalized" before you have your convertor built thing- either by dyno or street time. I think we're on the same page, just different paragraphs. :)
Too many directions in this thread now.

That's where I was going with the "Have your build finalized" before you have your convertor built thing- either by dyno or street time. I think we're on the same page, just different paragraphs. :)
Too many directions in this thread now.
100% AGREE! If the build is pretty much finalized, a custom converter cannot be beat.

You buy for what you have at the time or have enough of an idea to forward think where you might want to go and buy based upon that.

If I know I'm headed up the ladder, buy more flash than you could use right now. Flash high, tight on cruise if a streeter. Get all the flash you can get is my idea.

That’s on you. Evidently you don’t optimize anything, you just change for change sake.

For the VAST majority of everyone else out there, a custom converter is as important as a custom cam. Do them both.

My friend just had a local torque converter company do him a converter. You couldn’t even drive the car.

600 buck and a bunch of extra, needless work he now has a converter than add took a car that was worthless to a car that turns heads.

I will never understand why this is ever in question. Unless you are doing dead stock stuff, you should get a custom cam and converter.

I tell people don’t be penny wise and pound foolish

When I "finish" my build I'll definitely be doing a custom converter to optimize how it drives. For now my rebuilt stock with a "2500" stall for 200 bucks is working just "fine," but I know with a custom converter from a proven company it will enhance the driving experience so much more.

This is such an easy fix: Run a manual trans :)

This is 100% correct and the more I fight with my trans the more I think about going manual. Then I remember I really want to not have to shift gears on the weekend lol.

custom converter is NOT needed for most builds. how many need to get 100% from the street driven/ friday night drag car? off the shelf will do just fine 95-99% of the time.
the topic of a custom cam came up again and yes i will say it again.... a custom cam is NOT needed for most builds.

-
Back