Why do all cars look similar/same/cloned now?

-
Aerodynamics?
That is part of it. The bigger reason is fuel economy (of which aerodynamics is a part). There are also safety standards and manufacturing rechnologies that play into it.

There is only so much design freedom available within the rest of the restraints of safety and fuel economy.

Last edited:
Not all of them...think of the puke, or joke or whatever it's called...ugly as the night, but different

have a look at the 2019 trucks, ford chev dodge toyota, all have similar front ends and body lines

have a look at the 2019 trucks, ford chev dodge toyota, all have similar front ends and body lines
Dodge has smooth crisp lines IMHO. The Ford, GMC, Chevy, theres too much busyness going on with their styling. And Toyota forget it w the circle n stick man, just bland, the shapes dont seem to flow right.

The 2017 ford F350 is sharp IMO.

20170317_114503.jpg

Nice looking truck, but i still think too busy looking w the grille, headlights etc. Too much going on, too many juxtaposed intersecting lines, kinda like they werent sure which way to go with the design, so they went every which way. IMHO

Last edited:
Nice looking truck, but i still think to busy looking w the grille, headlights etc. Too much going on, too many juxtaposed intersecting lines, kinda like they werent sure which way to go with the design, so they went every which way. IMHO
It did take some getting used too....

NASCAR of tomorrow: every manufacturers car must fit under the same template. I saw something like that when they were introducing them? also the low front, high back sedan is aerodynamic, has a huge trunk, good visibility and good safety. Thats why they all seem to gravitate to that design as well as the Focus/Prius/Veloster/Corrado/Dart/Genesis/*** fastback shape. So gone are the days of the long hood and low trunk. I mean look at a 73 Lincoln MkIV, or a Cordoba, or a 70s Grand Prix...huge cars with barely a back seat, terrible rear side visibility and a hood that you could put a putting green on. They were 'personal luxery coupes', I just call them bad. My Dad loved that style and with 2 sisters, we kids always got jammed in the claustrophobic rear seat. The Pontiacs were the worst, huge sail panels tiny little windows and high back seats as well as the SJ's almost bucket back seats. And of course he smoked...The cartoon cars were a breath of fresh air: PT cruiser, HHR, Scion xB, Cube, Beetle.....all gone.

That is part of it. The bigger reason is fuel economy (of which aerodynamics is a part). There are also safety standards and manufacturing rechnologies that play into it.

There is only so much design freedom available within the rest of the restraints of safety and fuel economy.
I agree. By the time you shape the car like an egg for aerodynamics and interior space and blend the plastic bumpers smoothly into the fenders, there isn't much creativity left. The grill area and rear panel/lights is about the main place to be different. small and mid sized cars all look VERY similar from the side. And, as mentioned above, the few cars that do not conform to the 'egg' shape, are usually pretty ugly. One car that does have a bit of character of its own is the Mercedes C43 AMG. Beautiful car. I want one.

and whats up with everyones HUGE taillights? They are square feet of red lens, or worse: Chrome art deco cheapness with a black backdrop housing the same red lens covered in a corner shaped lexan dome. You want to know what looks classy? Not cheapness, eg. BMW 2002. Simple....And Dodge, your "California Raisins sunglass'" looking rear taillight hoop is over the top.
3851959.jpg

What about the small square boxes that are driving around? I'm all for whatever design a car maker wants, but there are cries about saving the world with aero, and then they build square boxes.

The 2017 ford F350 is sharp IMO.

View attachment 1715153984
I wouldn't want to clean the bugs off of that front end.

I will stick with my ‘06 SRT for a modern vehicle. At least it has some style...

AC31D0F5-73B6-4FFA-8740-1C5D141A3EE0.jpeg

A8D7D3B0-5C40-4C96-AFCA-39080900A5FE.jpeg

Oh yeah...and 425 hp!

Dd I saw a Ram 1500 in that color not long ago. I about wet myself. I wonder what it would look like on a '72 Swinger?

And my SRT will get a bit more style after I finish installing the custom facia I had made for it....

View attachment 1715154007
Much needed improvement over that "everything gets a bullseye" grille. Thats the front end they shoulda used along with 2 scoops in each door, and only 2 doors. Are you going to make opening headlight doors too?

-
Back