Why do i need adjustable pushrods?

-

TimDart

Reaction score
Guys, this might sem a stupid question, but bear with me.
when I built my 360 two years back, my standard pushrods were too short. I have used adjustable pushrods ever since and have to set the preload manually. My simple question is why did this situation occur?

Engine spec
360 block-standard height, not decked
Comp Cams XE262 grind. 47 lift.
Smog heads completely rebuilt inc new seats and back cut. Lightly cut/skimmed to true the gasket face
Not a radical set up.
ANy ideas? I would really like to just use fit n, forget pushrods.

Guys, this might sem a stupid question, but bear with me.
when I built my 360 two years back, my standard pushrods were too short. I have used adjustable pushrods ever since and have to set the preload manually. My simple question is why did this situation occur?

Engine spec
360 block-standard height, not decked
Comp Cams XE262 grind. 47 lift.
Smog heads completely rebuilt inc new seats and back cut. Lightly cut/skimmed to true the gasket face
Not a radical set up.
ANy ideas? I would really like to just use fit n, forget pushrods.

This is interesting: First I replied to your question about the possible lifter/cam damage (another posting...) like I had and now you mention the same situation I had with my pushrods! I'm running a 360 block with a Comp Cam .488/.491 and Edelbrock heads and Crame roller rockers. Sounds EXACTLY like MY engine!

I had Smith Brothers http://www.pushrods.net/ make me a set of 7.00" push rods so I could get a correct adjustment on my rockers.

Differant gasket thickness, different head thickness, differant base circle of the cam shaft are all possible reason.

More than likely the Comp Cam's base circle is smaller than a stock cam. Pushrods cost me about $115. Check for damage first after reading your previous post.

Thanks for the replies guys,
I actually used a thinner (.27" as opposed to the usual.43") head gasket. My main concern about ordering pushrods to fit, is how exactly do in know where to measure. This might sound like a dumb question, but when setting the preload it can be a real problem if a lifter bleeds down as I then have to guess the setting or risk over adjusting and bottoming out the lifter.

Well, so much for that theory. In Larry Shepards book 'How To Hot Rod Small Block Mopar Engines' he states this: 'Pushrod overall length is another important feature. All the A-engine hydraulics are the same length up to 1985.
Engines after '85, as well as the newer 318 roller, are the exceptions.'

Is it possible the heads you used are from after '85?

Just another theory. Mike

Hmm, dont think the heads are that late. Besides, i've used 2 sets of heads and still had the same problem!
The original heads were off a 1976-1980 block

-
Back