why do people help make old cars look bad

-
Seems to me, this is what is at the heart of the problem

People all have a different opinion of what's right!

Cley

Was warm out today so just waxed my dart with some 320 grit and drove her to local golf course to hit driving rannge. Parked between a new camero and older srt8 charger. She would most likely destroy both of them at strip. Enjoying livin the ugly life. lol.

0B3E8393-F567-462A-AF00-A3AF98DCDA53.jpeg

View attachment 1715123036 I’m going to clone this. Almost same color scheme my old Duster but doesn’t have the blue trunk lid, red fender, black hood and yellow passenger door. The white driver door is correct.
Thats “calico”. When i see a multi colour car i think they must be “cat people”

Was warm out today so just waxed my dart with some 320 grit and drove her to local golf course to hit driving rannge. Parked between a new camero and older srt8 charger. She would most likely destroy both of them at strip. Enjoying livin the ugly life. lol.

View attachment 1715123150
Hmmmmm. I smell a new window sticker fad. UGLY LIFE
Your car is way cooler than the other two any day.

Seems to me its my car and I can do as I like.............
sure is, and sure does
it does not, however, place you in a vacuum where others cant dislike what you do with your car

in fact, it wont break my heart if you call my car ugly, simply because i havent been able to get myself to spend 200 dollars on a set of parking lights, so for now, i just have the bare bulbs peaking out the grille

As a frequent car show attendee, We have had people make comments about ours or friends cars.
so, I try and stop my kids from ever making a negative comment about someone else's car at the show.
You never know who's car it is, they obviously enjoy it, probably have a lot of work and or money in it. As I have grown older and hopefully wiser,
I have learned to just appreciate and get joy from other people just enjoying and using their cars.

Just damn.
10 pages on grills.
Maybe people just love Rani so much?
I know I do.
I'm not going through the whole thread to see if anyone had an opinion on this.

goldteethdave.jpg

21314409_1649842711695658_4303699348660792005_n.jpg

View attachment 1715123150
Love it. My Swinger is shiny but my 66 is faded dull lacquer over the original poly. I took my 66 to a car show and pulled lunch for 25 friends out of the trunk and used the trunk lid as a serving table, a crock pot of pulled pork and all.

INFO please.....My 71 slant Duster has its original paint, It will get a repaint this spring, but what's my grill's original color?????? was what? it is dirty and 37 years old. Look like it was maybe a satin black??
I prefer to make my cars look original. But to feed this thread, I feel people should be able to treat their cars are they wish. I f someone paints their car some hideous color and if they sell it to someone down the road, LET the buyer make it as he wants!!!! Right??

yea lets be cool DUDE!!!!! and black out the grille and bumper for a high performance look

high performance look that doesn't in fact look very good at all

Seriously, why do people take an old tired car and do something dumb to it to make it look worse than it already did.

MEMO: blacked out grilles are NOT cool people, it just makes the car look like it's missing the grille from far and looks really bad.

Thanks to @Dartn440 ...I will be fixin this real soon. I have another grille to clean up and change the look :)

View attachment 1715063008
I know this is 3 years old but I couldnt agree more. I hate blacked grilles and painted bumpers. I have seen some painted bumpers that look good and fit the car well. Cant say the same with a blacked out grille. I'm trying to find a way to restore my grille I like the argent with the blacked fins like its supposed to be. I was searching ways to do it that's how I stumbled across this thread.

Ahem, you were saying?

View attachment 1715063053

This probably an excellent example of black done right. I'm really glad they went gloss black on the body. As much as I love (and I do love it) satin/flat black. It's just been way overdone the last few years. So much so that when I redo my scamp it probably won't be in black.

My stock grill is black to. And it definitely does "disappear" at distance. I'm meh about it. I really give a lot less of a **** about the aesthetics of that car than the speed of it. Every time I take someone for a ride in it and they point out the rust or the headliner or something. I usually just say "yeah but it does this" then just plant them in their seat with a block long burnout. So far it's shut everyone up.
This car is an exception!! Its amazing!

Studebaker.jpeg
yea lets be cool DUDE!!!!! and black out the grille and bumper for a high performance look

high performance look that doesn't in fact look very good at all

Seriously, why do people take an old tired car and do something dumb to it to make it look worse than it already did.

MEMO: blacked out grilles are NOT cool people, it just makes the car look like it's missing the grille from far and looks really bad.

Thanks to @Dartn440 ...I will be fixin this real soon. I have another grille to clean up and change the look :)

Studebaker.jpeg

This photo will send shockwaves thru the Studebaker community. Took this 20 years ago in Indiana. Likelythe basis for the R Dean Taylor song "Indiana Wants Me"....

Last edited:
If I put a 73-74 grill in my 75 Scamp (which will if I don’t swap my 67 valiant front end on it) I’m gonna paint it to match this Duster grill.

641E2EEF-83F7-4D07-984B-0244F47A16C3.jpeg

6FD14B58-CC1B-4785-9321-B8A0E8AE0B0D.jpeg

88E07B23-310E-47CA-A9E0-8852ABD839BA.jpeg

My Demon had a blacked out grille, I found a nice unpainted one and switched it out last year, sure makes a big difference.

00P0P_6Ia9n8JmHjQ_1200x900.jpg

20190909_175622.jpg

People customize to suit their particular taste, thing is, a lot of people don't share that guy's taste!!! It makes no nevermind, until that guys decides to sell it to someone!!

-
Back