why do they all have to be finished

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i may out of line with this but.......am i the only one who enjoys the raw unrestored mopar?

the running project....maybe im strange but i kinda enjoy running cars that are in need of work.....the kind that you wont be upset if it gets a scratch or two lol

running but faded paint maybe some good seat cores but with tattered covers.

good running but greasy engine with original paint

cracked dash pad lol

im not talking about a total basket case but a complete functional original that needs work to be perfect...

am i the only one lol or maybe i just need to marry Joe Dirt LOL

i call some of my cars my Rani Dirt cars anyway

To me ...sometimes finished show cars are just boring :sleepy1:

Mine's been in the "running project" category for the last 4 years and I've loved it ever since I 1st picked it up 7 years ago. I completely agree with you. I do have to admit, as my car gets closer to a finished product, I really apreciate all the little things I've done & things I've learned while doing it and getting it to the point where people stop to appreciate it even if they do say, "Nice Nova."

I call it drivable. I like it that way. No worries about scratching the "pretty" paint. Besides I live on a gravel road so when I have a "finished" car it won't get nearly as much use.

I just cannot afford it

I don't have the time and skill

My time on this earth is a lot shorter now than it used to be

I bought the car to have some fun before it's to late to have any

I don't think they are ever truly finished. I live on a dirt road , so im not worried about a few paint chips, I build to drive

I plan to complete the powertrain, most of the interior, and leave the body with its "patina" for the first year of driving it. Then maybe a year with a satin black primer that has uv protection before I make it pretty (some kind of froggy green of course). For no other reason than I think it will be more fun doing it that way.

I'm like you! I don't care if it is finished or not as they are all beautiful in their own way. I get just as excited looking at two cars side by side, one finished one not. I like to look at the engineering on cars more than shiny paint!

Yes, I'm getting back to this way of thinking.....and I think we all know it's sort of a trend now anyway, you know, the "rat rod"....the "barn find". I've had really really nice cars and it....it just wasn't quite fun, not quite me. I guess I'd rather have total original (but nice) bumpers, interior etc., and maybe a really good paint job, not a killer resto.

Which is why I lovve finding old slant 6 granny cars!! I used to drive my '69 Dart to the park-n-ride everyday, 16 miles round-trip. By the time I got home, I had so much seat stuffing swirling around the interior of my Dart, it was all in my hair. I've already been called "Joe Dirt" a few times.....but I guess a lot of us have.

See my sig pic. Its DEFINITELY in need of a resto. And it serves DD.

EDIT: Thats the good side of the car.... Click the pic to see the rest of the car.

I plan to never finish my Coronet. I'm just gonna fix the rust, build my big block and make a driver.

All of my cars are driven, and not "show" cars so to speak. Some are nicer than others, and the blue 66 is the closest car I have to being finished. I dont mind jumping into any of them and just driving them, and dont care what anybody else thinks about them. I like 'em, I own 'em, and when they're theirs they can blow all the $$ they want to make them perfect and never drive them!!

Gee, I would hate to not be able to do a big smoky burnout in the GTX just because I was afraid that my $XX,*** paint job may get tarnished!! I like the idea of rubber chunks on my lowers!!

Now, I'm not opposed to upgrading an area such as seat covers if they are tattered, or cleaning and detailing the engine bay or trunk...but all in due time, that way I can never be done and always have an excuse to hit the garage for some "me" time!! Geof

Amen guys! I found my first car in January, 22 years later I am tearing up these central IL streets in my old dart and we are both showing our age. All about getting out there. Besides, I can't break it to my wife the amount of money I need to spend. Keep Cruisin!!!!

I love running projects! Most all of mine are and I really love the stress free ownership of little to worry about (this is if you have more than one running project and you work on the one that is not running while the other one(s) hopefully stay running). My dogs ride in my Landcruiser (project driver) and often find branches scraping down the sides on outings. Mud, dirt and claws are no worries.

Attachments

• 100_6338.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 304
  • 100_6111-001.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 100_6037.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 322
and my not now running but hopefully soon to be running project for my son...

Attachments

• 101_0223.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 287
and my Ramcharger running project...

Attachments

• 100_5144.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 295
  • 100_5149.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 319
  • 100_5146.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 305
  • 100_5145.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 308
and my 86 Subaru GL 4x4 running project. (I think I am losing the battle to rust on this one however)

Attachments

• 100_4361.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 301
  • 100_4416.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 307
I LOVE an original, mostly unmolested car.

A fair ammount of "patina", but in good, operable condition, maybe needing a few "wear items" taken care of.

My 73 satellite was "just the way I like 'em".

55,*** original miles, one repaint, and 1/4 cup of "body work".

I've put on a master cyl, trans lines, a heater control valve, a/c gasket, valve cover gaskets, and wiper blades.

...and the dash pad is NOT cracked!!

See my sig pic. Its DEFINITELY in need of a resto. And it serves DD.

EDIT: Thats the good side of the car.... Click the pic to see the rest of the car.

That is a great looking running project. Keep her running and keep on turning that wrench.

I like "realistic" cars.

...and realistic women!

I like "realistic" cars.

...and realistic women!

Ha ha, Yes.

My first cars were 74 Challengers and that is what I keep looking for, an E body. But they are just bringing way to much money these days and virtually all of them are clones or 'tributes'. Rarely do you see one with the original flat hood and almost never with the original slant 6. I look every now and then but mostly have given up on getting one.

...and the dash pad is NOT cracked!!

i am used to seeing cracked dash pads around here ....i live in the Prarie Desert and it is super dry here ......so usually our interiors are sun baked and dry rotted.

the upside is here in the desert cars refuse to rust. so the metal is always good but all rubber and soft trim is always trashed.

It's kind of like antique furniture. A few dings,scrapes and other wear adds character that you wont ever get with something brand new looking.

-
Back