Why does an Optima battery take a different charger

-

340doc

Reaction score
Just wondering what's different about the charger, don't they all deliver voltage to charge the battery. When its in the car its all the same right? Just one of those questions in my head!

I have a NAPA charger, it has a setting for the gel type batteries.
Both of my cars & trailer have Optimums in them.

You do charge them at a low rate.
I do run an alternator on both cars, so even after a 3 day race weekend, they may only charge for 2-4 hours to bring them back up.

Yup. Those batteries are CHEMICALLY different than standard lead acid, and should have a lower charging voltage. Ideally, you should actually have a different voltage regulator on the car. I think one of the members here found an aftermarket regulator made for them

Might be this, but I don't actually see an adjustment, and nothing is said about the range of adjustment

http://store.alternatorparts.com/partnoc8313.aspx

I'm running the stock type voltage regulator on both of mine.
I also run them at the track only.

I have volt meters on both, the charge @ a constant 14.5v.

What would be different on the voltage regulator?

Dave you stole my thunder. The paste between the plates allows for better transfer of energy then when compared to conventional wet cell. Because of this, it makes it easier to overheat the plates causing damage when charged at a high rate. Most digital (micro processed) chargers will charge optima batteries at the proper rate. I purchased a schumacher digital charger from advance auto for like $40 purposely for the optima in my Scamp. It also has a nice feature for severely discharged/sulfated batteries. It will run a charge process that will desulfate the plates, potentially bringing the battery to life.

http://www.batterychargers.com/ssc-1500a/

where I work we removed the gel battery's because they keep destroying the dual alt. on our ford ambulances ,they the (battery's) require a stand by charger twice the regular amp output for standby also they make the alts put out almost twice as much as regulator battery's when charging also (as said) need a higher voltage setting about 14.6 /14.8 a reg.battery might pull 60 amps after start up and the gels are pulling 100amps to recharge which shortens alt life ,we saw no reason to run them they just didn't prove out , not everything new is better just a different sales person/engineer getting his %

Dave you stole my thunder. The paste between the plates allows for better transfer of energy then when compared to conventional wet cell. Because of this, it makes it easier to overheat the plates causing damage when charged at a high rate. Most digital (micro processed) chargers will charge optima batteries at the proper rate. I purchased a schumacher digital charger from advance auto for like $40 purposely for the optima in my Scamp. It also has a nice feature for severely discharged/sulfated batteries. It will run a charge process that will desulfate the plates, potentially bringing the battery to life.

http://www.batterychargers.com/ssc-1500a/

Thanks Scamper, I will ck this out!

I bought the Schumacher charger you talked about Scamper. Its a nice piece and I'm very pleased with it. Lots of good features, thanks!

I'll never buy an Optima battery again!! I bought one many years ago, when it went completely dead I was told that I could only get it recharged at a battery shop that had the proper equipment. No thanks!!!
I'll stick to the old reliable acid cell batteries...at least I can use my old school charger on them when they are dead!!
Besides..I have no plans on driving my car upside down anytime soon!!

treblig

I bought the Schumacher charger you talked about Scamper. Its a nice piece and I'm very pleased with it. Lots of good features, thanks!

Np, it's been a nice charger for me. Definitely worth the money.

-
Back