Why does Texas hate dune buggies?

-

Quoted:
The state's argument against dune buggies allegedly boils down to safety concerns: Texas DMV spokesman Adam Shaivitz told Hemmings that the ban resulted "because many of these vehicles do not have key safety components or do not have a body at all. These vehicles, as manufactured, were not designed for on-road use. These vehicles, as modified from previously manufactured vehicles, also do not keep their on-road qualities."

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/texas-dmv-revoking-titles-dune-buggies-and-other-kit-cars#ixzz4xtcYNrVj

Ridiculous.they might as well pull all the old military jeeps too.
Next will be anything with carburetors or without airbags or anti-lock brakes.
Its all about compliance.

So what about heavily customized vehicles?

Ridiculous.they might as well pull all the old military jeeps too.
Next will be anything with carburetors or without airbags or anti-lock brakes.
Its all about compliance.

So what about heavily customized vehicles?

The next thing you know anything considered a hotrod will only be for show and not drivable.

Kind of like the second amendment.
Sure you have the right to own, but no constitutional rights that there had to be bullets for it.

My guess is that it's a few bureaucrats or a few people that are NOT elected driving this. Whether they are in government or out, but funding this, it's pretty clearly an abuse of power.

By seizing their titles, they are creating a legal mess. NONE of those vehicles would be legal to purchase in Missouri without a title, which is THE legal proof of ownership. That has serious ramifications on the value of those vehicles and falls squarely under the scrutiny of Federal illegal search and seizure amendments.

it's is well within states authority to decide what is 'safe' on their roads. I have to ask what is the 'ulterior motive' suspected here? is this something other than a public safety issue and if so, what? It seems pretty clear most of these are not designed for on-road use, which apparently is what is going on in texas. It's worse here - some Ohio towns are letting golf carts operate on city streets - I think they are just culling the old fart herd!

it's is well within states authority to decide what is 'safe' on their roads. I have to ask what is the 'ulterior motive' suspected here? is this something other than a public safety issue and if so, what? It seems pretty clear most of these are not designed for on-road use, which apparently is what is going on in texas. It's worse here - some Ohio towns are letting golf carts operate on city streets - I think they are just culling the old fart herd!

They drive carts around where I live all over the place, and the biggest problem we have with that is that they don't give a rats **s about normal driving laws.

Yet you can still ride a motorcycle with no helmet on roads with an 80 mile an hour speed limit.............

How many parts would I have to use in my dune buggy from a 1989 Oldsmobile before it's a re body?
:lol:
I'll just put the whole dash board in it.
That way I've haven't "removed the VIN":poke:

I think he is just pointing out the hypocrisy. You know, the govt. caring about our "safety" and all. Kinda like sealt belt revenue, I mean seat belt laws.

Oh I get it, but it is a touchy subject since I lost a friend who had a full-face helmet on and he was going around a corner about 5MPH and hit some gravel and went down. The chin guard hit the ground and snapped his neck killing him instantly. Even the DOT says that helmets are not good over a certain MPH, all they do is make sure you have a pretty face for the casket showing...

Even the DOT says that helmets are not good over a certain MPH, all they do is make sure you have a pretty face for the casket showing...

Not so sure about that either as my Dad hit a deer on his bike, and the helmet shattered tearing his face up to the point he had to have plastic surgery.

I find that Tx. has a law against dogs riding in the back of pickups!!!!! ha (maybe just in East Tx. ( not the real Tx)

Wish my wife would let us move back to Mo. "the real world"!!!!!!!!

Any way you slice it this is a pretty shitty deal. If they had grandfathered any 'now in place' and outlawed new/ import/ transfers it might have been one thing. But to revoke a title..........I see no reason this so called "logic" could not be applied to vehicles 'too old' etc.................

............a law against dogs riding in the back of pickups...........
Years ago I was doing about 45-50 on a gravel road in my pickup. Evidently I ran into a low area that had just been filled in with more gravel and it seemed as though the back end was coming around on me and I almost lost it. I didn't have my Malamute in the box that time as usual but it sure woke me up.
And you never know what can happen.............

Years ago I was doing about 45-50 on a gravel road in my pickup. Evidently I ran into a low area that had just been filled in with more gravel and it seemed as though the back end was coming around on me and I almost lost it. I didn't have my Malamute in the box that time as usual but it sure woke me up.
And you never know what can happen.............

Shiiiiiit, that was brutal!

Oh I get it, but it is a touchy subject since I lost a friend who had a full-face helmet on and he was going around a corner about 5MPH and hit some gravel and went down. The chin guard hit the ground and snapped his neck killing him instantly. Even the DOT says that helmets are not good over a certain MPH, all they do is make sure you have a pretty face for the casket showing...
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but if that's the case and you're right, why does NHRA insist on a helmet requirement for drivers in cars running a certain e.t. or M.P.H. (or faster) as well as ALL motorcycle classes and convertibles?
The same goes for set belt laws and roll cages.
I won't even get into fire suits, gloves, or footwear...........
It's all because it works, and is necessary because of past accidents have proven the need for tougher safety rules and equipment worn by participants.
The same goes for the safe distance that the fans can spectate at and safety fences, guard walls etc.........
Would you feel safe running a Top Fuel dragster or a Pro Stock motorcycle wearing just shorts, sandals, and a t-shirt?
It's NOT about the cadaver looking good in the casket.

Would it not be easy for Tx to require seat belts for these vehicles?. The buggy is too open? What about UPS or Delivery trucks that run the roads with their doors OPEN???? Too much government BS.

-
Back