Why is my intake killing my vac hose?

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
If she runs pretty good here does that mean perhaps the distributor is off a tooth? she starts to run better if I turn the distributor a little more towards the intake but then it will completely cut off the vacuum advance line... :(

Attachments

• IMG_5076.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 195
remove distributor and move intermediate shaft so the vacum cannister clean intake...

Somebody must have installed your distributor/oil pump drive shaft off by a few teeth. Either that or you might need to move each of the wires over one position on your distributor cap.

Somebody must have installed your distributor/oil pump drive shaft off by a few teeth. Either that or you might need to move each of the wires over one position on your distributor cap.

if it happens to be off by a few teeth, then rotating the wires like u say would fix it?

as for the intermediate shaft, i'm not sure I understand which shaft but could probably figure it out if the wire-rotating option fails to produce results...

under your distributor there is a shaft with a gear ....it engages the oil pump and has a gear that engages the camshaft...

on top it has a slot on top that the distributor drops into...

with a larger screw driver you can turn the intermediate shaft clock wise and it will move up the cam gear...then you can move it to where you want to be........

so the distributor will clear the intake

under your distributor there is a shaft with a gear ....it engages the oil pump and has a gear that engages the camshaft...

on top it has a slot on top that the distributor drops into...

with a larger screw driver you can turn the intermediate shaft clock wise and it will move up the cam gear...then you can move it to where you want to be........

so the distributor will clear the intake

Thanks for the info, I'll try the wire switch first but if that doesnt work i'll try this 8)

If it doesn't bother you that the no 1 wire is not in the "official" tower, moving the wires will work just fine.

Yes. Try moving the wires one space counter clock wise and that should fix it.

If you were going to move the distributor drive shaft you must first get the engine around to a point where no.1 cylinder is on the compression stroke at TDC. Only then can you install the drive shaft so that the slot in it, points to the first intake bolt on the drivers side. I agree with the guys though, try the switcheroo on the plug wires first.

......Hey Stroker as to advance u have to move the dist anti ......I would think he would have to move the wires clockwise..........then push back the dist some to get the correct timing.......kim.........

......Hey Stroker as to advance u have to move the dist anti ......I would think he would have to move the wires clockwise..........then push back the dist some to get the correct timing.......kim.........

Well....to get it to run good he has to move the distributor body counter clockwise which moves the wires counter clockwise. Same difference.

I had a similar problem on a VW Beetle once. The wiring out the bottom of the distributor was grounding to the clamp. Rotating the wires positions fixed it.

...............Stroker.........yes u move the dist ccw to get closer to the rotor thats turning cw, so to get more timing he has to move the wires cw, that way he can push the dist back to the normal position.....just think about it......kim......

Fixed. Wires rotated counter-clockwise twice, then dist turned to get it back to where it was. She's in good shape now, thanks guys!

.........Glad to hear.....I guess i was over thinking that 1...........kim.......

Easily dun Kim :-D, I over think things allot :-D
I was thinking to myself as I read this and had to do a double thought and I have dun this a couple times when a longer duration cam shaft was installed.
I think I even moved the wires to away from where they was :-D

Had the same issue and moved my wires also....Glad to hear you go it straightened out....

Easily dun Kim :-D,

X2 , it was easier for me since I was here looking at it. glad this fixed the issue... now to tackle the next 150 issues... lol Can't bring a car back from the dead and expect it to have no problems I suppose!

-
Back