Why is ther no formula to figure out port volume?

-

macdiesel

Reaction score
I'm no math wiz by any means... or an engine wiz for that matter. There's a ton of talk however on intake port volume and a million different theories on it. Since and engine is a machine and the are many givens (or constants) why can't figuring out optimal port volume be as simple as plugging in: bore, stroke, avg. shift rpm ect... to a formula and voila: optimal port volume?

Of course there are variables such as port inlet shape and how good the mid lift flow is. But even still, there's got to be a way.

Maybe there is a formula out there and I've never seen it.

There is a formula and it works off of connecting rod length, and piston speed. The formula is based off of CI in the cut down version and will dictate the valve size also. It's very lengthy so I'm not going to even start to type all this out here, it would be easier for you to give me the info and let me put it in for you as I have it downloaded to a saftey keyed program.

There's several. I have one too, but it's rpm specific, and all programs are simple math engines that use various assumptions. Nothing can simulate or predict everything. The parts and system are mechanical and math predictable. But that does not take into account the fuel dispersal or the flow dynamics and burn characteristics of an individual cylinder. We know how much air goes in. But things like the temperature change of the air as the fuel disperses into it, the amount of air displaced by the fuel in the induction system, the amount of liquid fuel that enters the chamber, the qualitites of that fuel, the airflow (quench) that the chamber feels, and the wave tuning of a particular intake system all add variables that cannot be 100% planned for cylinder to cylinder. Accuracy is never 100%, and the simplest way to limit the issues that lead to "averages" and larger possibility of error, is to limit the power range that you are looking for. Which is why the one I got does a single rpm point.

So if I understand you correctly Moper, that if I give you a rpm that I will call peak rpm's say 6,000 that it will show something different for say 3,000 or 4,000 rpm's? How is the port volume going to change by rpm's, unless your looking at a max rpm's. So if this is correct then a 130 cc port runner for a given engine say a 318 that turns 6,000 rpm's won't be able to use a 150 cc port because the port will be too large.

I think that what he's looking for is what a given engine needs to have for so to speak the perfect port volume. I think that what your saying is a given rpm will need a given amount of air flow, this doesn't mean that the port volume will change but the airflow will. I guess I should put it this way, if we have 2 heads and one flows 280 cfm's @ .600 and the other flows 240 cfm's @ .600 then the one with 280 cfm's will make more power with both being the same port cc's. It will also have more port velocity because it's moving more air through a given size port or volume. With both having the same size valves. If both heads have different size valves then the port velocity will change due to the amount of area of the valves. But this will also be seen in the amount of port flow in the low lift ranges from .100 to .400 lifts. The smaller valves will generally flow more at low lifts than a larger one, but the larger one will flow more peak at a higher lift something like .700 or .800 lift. Correct.

"So if I understand you correctly Moper, that if I give you a rpm that I will call peak rpm's say 6,000 that it will show something different for say 3,000 or 4,000 rpm's? How is the port volume going to change by rpm's, unless your looking at a max rpm's. So if this is correct then a 130 cc port runner for a given engine say a 318 that turns 6,000 rpm's won't be able to use a 150 cc port because the port will be too large."

I'm saying for that one point on the power curve, yes. Because as you say below, depending on curtain, volume, intake, cam, etc, the "perfect" size via a math operation will be different for every point on the curve. 5500 is different than 6000, which is different than 6300. It's not the volume that changes.. it's the perfect volume for that one rpm point and that engine that changes. The output of this program is the volumes, both theoretical given with a min and max and stall, and actual determined by piston speed, cam lobe, and curtain area. It yields not one particular size for a given engine package, but one particular "best" volume for a particular engine size at a particular rpm taking into account displacement, valve size, and cam specs. By trying to get results for a wider "snapshot" on the curve, that is more info in terms of rpm ranges, you lose accuracy for any one spot. I believe (I'd have to ask the creator) he was concerned with the rpm of peak horsepower, not peak torque, and not a wide rpm range as that would add to the inaccuracy.

"I think that what he's looking for is what a given engine needs to have for so to speak the perfect port volume."

I agree

"I think that what your saying is a given rpm will need a given amount of air flow, this doesn't mean that the port volume will change but the airflow will."

Yes, exactly!

"I guess I should put it this way, if we have 2 heads and one flows 280 cfm's @ .600 and the other flows 240 cfm's @ .600 then the one with 280 cfm's will make more power with both being the same port cc's. It will also have more port velocity because it's moving more air through a given size port or volume. With both having the same size valves."

Yes, but I dont agree more output at the crank is always the result. I know what you meant, and I agree 100% with your intention as I understand it. However getting more detailed might end up yeilding different results at the carnk. By detailed I mean things like cam, intake, and rpm range choices.

"If both heads have different size valves then the port velocity will change due to the amount of area of the valves."

In summary, yes. The velocity will change all thru the lift range on any size valve regardless of size when measured at the seat. but you know air can be tricked by shape changes to more faster or slower. Faster is always best, up until the port stalls which can be anywhere in the lift range depending how bad the port or port work was.

"But this will also be seen in the amount of port flow in the low lift ranges from .100 to .400 lifts. The smaller valves will generally flow more at low lifts than a larger one, but the larger one will flow more peak at a higher lift something like .700 or .800 lift. Correct."

I don't ever look at .700 lift so I have to believe you're correct. But I would also think that on factory iron Mopar ports, the port will go turbulent well before that lift range on the vast majority of castings because of the pinch and short turn limitations.

I think, the most expressive word there is generally... and the more the is generalized, the less exact and less individual the result.

I hope that all comes out when it posts...lol. I wish we could do a seperate color.

I guess what we should ask the original poster is what engine are you trying to build and get him in the right direction for what he needs.

Moper, I think that were both comming up with the same solutions but arriving at it differently. I sure don't want to confuse him. You and I understand it but he may not. Thats why I stated that maybe he should give me the info and or us so we can help him figure it out.

For instance on a race 318 .030 it shouldn't need any more than a 140 cc head port with a 1.78 intake valve and flow 240 cfm's this would be enough to turn the engine 6500 rpm's +. But would this head work on the street, maybe so but it would be very over kill for a street 318 regaurdless of over bore. According to my program a street 318 doesn't need any more port volume than 124-128 cc's and 205-215 cfm's of air. Basically a 302 head with gasket matching and bowl blending. Then I help the head out with a 1.60/1.625 exhaust valve, because why get it in if you can't get it out.

(To the OP) If you look at the cross-section of an intake or exhaust port you will see that it's not a very simple shape. You could make a port that is 135 cc's, but one that is shaped like a cube will flow differently than one shaped more like a smoothed funnel.

BJR, not that I really disagree with you or anything, but quite a few people recommend enlarging the intake valve on the 302's in addition to porting (of both the intake and exhaust ports) as opposed to enlarging the exhaust valve. Look at the intake:exhaust valve size ratio on an 'X' head; they too have 1.60" exhaust valves but they also have 2.02" intakes and they work great. With a good split-pattern cam, wouldn't the engine benefit more from a larger intake valve (say 1.88") than a larger exhaust valve, especially if the exhaust ports are already worked a little bit?

I would say that this is the preference of the builder to use what he feels he needs for valves. Most put them in because someone else did, not because they know how it effects the port flow. If the 2.02 heads were so efficient Mopar would have kept using them and in 1972 they used 1.88 intake valves in place of the 2.02's, partially because of the emissions. But they also found that the 1.88 valves were more efficient. And this is what they stayed with until the end of the LA engine.

In fact even the modular engine of today doesn't use a intake valve larger than 1.925 with a 2.00 valve as a only replacement, not to say that they need them but they do make them. But once again this is the end users decision as to what they want or need to use.

From everything that I've flowed of the 302 heads with a 1.88 and with the 1.78 intake valves the larger valve almost never made more average flow than the smaller valve, and they both made similar peak airflow numbers. But when used on the engine the smaller valve heads were 2 tenths faster. But hey what do I know.

Oh no, I didn't doubt you. I was just wondering why your view differed. That's great to know, but now I have yet another choice to make on a hotly debated subject for my 318 :banghead: LOL!

I think the original question by Mac was more of a tossing out of an idea, rather than a need for a certain figure. I agree that there are always a bunch of ways to skin the same cat. If these were all so easy to figure out, we'd all have perfect setups...lol.

This is where good R&D and CAD-CAM is so valuable. I know that not everyone has the oppertunity to get this info as it doesn't come cheap, or the years of experience of doing. And some things are trial and error and you stumble on things, but this is how we learn. Thats why I like what I do as I get to paly all day long if need be. I like to think of it as a dream job that I made a reality. I'm sure there are many more out there that are doing the same thing.

Moper, the difference is how well the machining is done that will either make or break a engine setup. I'm sure that you have seen this also.

Oh hell yeah. This is why it doesnt bother me to take the abuse about paying too much...lol. The equipment is top of the line, as are the guys doing it. I can count the number of "performance shops" around here that actually own a seat runout gage on one hand. Excellent quality work, will add a lot of power and life. And it's not just the guy, and not just the tooling. But the combination that is so critical.

Man I started a big thread and haven't even chimed-in in over a week. Sorry guys. This was the craziest work week I can remember. All kinds of helecopters breaking, and on top of everything we were getting autited all week by Big Brother FORSCOM. yay....

What I was origanally asking was:
If I know these givens: 4.040 bore x 4.000 stroke small block, 3-4,000rpm avg. shift speed, 5,800rpm redline, daily city driver w/ weekend drag racing

What is my optimal port volume?

Now collective experience would say bolt up a pair of Eddys and call it good, because a lot of folks do and it usually works. But lets say I want to completely blueprint my heads for the perfect fit for my engine and application: CC matched ports and chambers, perfectly straight valve guides, "performance" valve job.... the works. What port volume should I be going for?

BJR and Moper, you guys are great. I really mean that. Its guys like you that keep this hobby alive by passing on your wealth of knowledge to guys like me. Thanks!

Mac,
For racing I would use a 195 cc intake runner that would need to flow 312 cfm's to make the engine work at 6,000 rpm's. And if your going to street drive it more than race it then I would use a 159 cc intake runner that flows 250 cfm's. The race version head should use a 2.10 intake valve and the 159 cc version should use a 1.88 intake valve. You shouldn't need more than this @ 4,000 rpm's. IMO

OK, Now lets see what Moper comes up with.

BJR, Moper, Mac mentions Edelbrock heads for a 4.04 x 4 inch arm stroker. (410 cid.)
How well do the Edelbrock heads fit into this cid and how far can it feed the 410 engine. Granted, this is a wide open question.
Lets just start with a stock as cast head.

I figured this question would help solve a few questions for others thinking of doing a stroker engine and wondering about what head to put on top. Edelbrock's tech one day told me there designed for stock stroke engines and strokers were not really being done at the time of the heads development.

That being said, by Edelbrock, it kind of leads me to beileve, without looking at spec one about the head, that the heads abilty in normal engine hot rodding would limit the head to a CID of something like a .030/.040 over 360. On a as cast head and normal like camming of the engine. Street performance wise.

Granted the head can be used on a 400+ engine at a lower rpm and be ok and a smaller engine at a higher rpm and be ok. This I get and all things within reason.

The search of power and speed is alot like relgion, many's ways to worship in order to get into heaven.

Rumble, The eddy's are 168-170 cc's as cast and not much room for porting as they get thin. I've went through at the pushrod pinch more than once and just barely started to port the heads. So IMO I would say that you may be able to get them up to about 175-178 cc's with the bowls hogged out. They would work on the 410 CI engine but the upper RPM's would be the limiting factor as to where the hp would actually stop or fall off some.

I ran a set of 452's on my BB that was 404 CI and the heads were 184 cc's and they did ok but I could feel the power fading some at 6,000. The car actually ran the same times shifting at 5,600 rpm's. The heads that I really needed for this engine came out to be 192 cc's. But bracket racing doesn't have to be or need to be the fastest, but the most consistant, so there wasn't any need to change the heads as it was winning races.

Mac - Daily driver... Could you define that better? how far? highway? What exhaust system? What gearing? what trans? power brakes?

Is port volume truly a requirement independent of port flow? I always thought that port volume was secondary to flow and to always try to achieve the port flow necessary for your HP requirement with the smallest port volume possible to keep velocity up?

Obviously, port volume will rise as material is removed, but if material is removed from the wrong places in the wrong amounts, all you have is a hogged out port that may flow less than the stock port.

True, port volume is somewhat secondary to port flow. I always look at it like this, if I can get a head to flow what is needed for the engine to do what I want it to then I don't really worry to much about the port volume. But the smaller port volume will make more Tq. and HP in a given range as long as the cam and intake manifold and exhaust is compatiable with the other modifications.

What I've found happens is that if a engine needs a certain amount of port volume and the heads are a bit smaller is that the top end charge won't be there and the MPH will be down some also. But it still will perform nicely, it's just that it could be better. Another thing that I've found is that when you have a small runner head such as the 302/318 heads or the 906/452 type heads for the BB that they will respond very very well to lots of duration at .050 style cams with low centerlines to medium centerlines. Meaning 104 or 106 straight pattern cams. With the centerlines this low the smaller runner heads come alive with at least 9.5:1 or higher compression ratios and loose converters and high numerical gears.

Interesting about the small LCA's bringing smaller port heads to life. Could the increased overlap be facilitating the ram tuning effect of the smaller ports or do the smaller ports just need the additional overlap that a larger port doesn't need? If this is the case, that smaller ports just need the additional overlap that a larger port doesn't need, would you consider the larger ports more effieceint at higher rpm regardless of rated flow?

Lets say I start with two identical heads. Just for fun, lets say they are W2's. One heads intake ports are hogged out to 210cc and the other is 195cc. Both flow 290 cfm @ .600" lift. I am using a cam with .610 lift at the valve, 260 degrees of duration @ .050" and a 110 lobe center on a stroker SB 408. Carb is a 850 cfm Holley double pumper derivative on a Mopar W2 single plane intake. Compression ratio is 11.5:1.

Will the 210cc head have more top end than the 195cc head? Would the dyno show identical numbers? Would the peaks (TQ and HP) be the same? Would the hogged out head have less TQ under the curve? Would the higher velocity of the small port head beat the large port head on all points?

Mac - Daily driver... Could you define that better? how far? highway? What exhaust system? What gearing? what trans? power brakes?

The car is a '67 Dart. Daily driver for me would be 20 miles a day through city traffic and short stints on the freeway. Exhaust for the 410 small block will be 1 3/4 headers, then 3" all the way back through dual cherry bomb vortexes. A plain A904 trans with stock tq converter. 8 3/4 rear with 3.73 gears & a eaton trutrac. Power brakes will be run in the future.

Did you have a head in mind for use?

Cam wise, I think I would go somewhere around a 236 @ .050 (Hyd cam) and a few more degrees on a split duration at most if at all dependent on head flow. But, ethier way, if your doing Edelbrocks, I'm guessing a pocket porting and gasket match would be OK since it's generaly speaking, a low RPM engine

I'm thinking eddys but it'll probably depend on what I can afford when I'm ready for them...

-
Back