Why is this so dang hard?

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Why is it so hard to fix something that isn't broke?
I have a "uni ped" 7.25 rear end with 2:73 gears behind a mildish 5.9 Magnum and 42RH overdrive trans in my Dart and have driven it thousands of miles with zero issues for years now.
I could literally stop at the gas station, fill up and take off out of state without so much as even opening the hood to check anything, it's that reliable.
Right now there is a 8.25 Sure Grip with 3:55 gears and disc brakes, full of fluid with the additive sitting on jack stands in my back yard ready to go in and I have everything to do the swap.

Why am I hesitating?:realcrazy:
It's just that hard to take something apart that already works I guess.

I could use the excuses, "It's a holiday season" or "It's 45 degrees" or any other excuse, but that's all they are.
We have 3 other cars I could drive while mine is being done, and a buddy has a garage and has offered to help.

I need that "Swift kick in the ***" my Dad used to threaten me with when I was a kid I guess.:lol:

Role transference.

In this case you are the dad & the car is the kid.

So.......

Go tell it to get off it's rear & get something done!

lol

Instead of thinking like we’ve been taught, ”If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”, sometimes we need to go on,”There is always room for improvement.”!

I know how hard it is to open a nicely operating system just to upgrade it!

Oh but think how much fun you will have with the 3.55 SG in there. It's a perfect match for that Magnum and o/d automatic!

Oh but think how much fun you will have with the 3.55 SG in there. It's a perfect match for that Magnum and o/d automatic!

Oh I have been thinking of that, and especially since winter is coming up quick.:D
That SG is going to change driving on wet or icy roads a lot.

One day awhile back I was coming out of a car wash making a sweeping left turn and both tires were spinning allowing me to feather the throttle and keep the slightly sideways pitch halfway down the block.
I thought to myself then, that this is what it will be like after the swap and got all exited about it.

Not since my 69 440 Roadrunner before our kids came along almost 30 years ago had I had a car that would do that.:D

Last edited:
It only took me a month to destroy my old 7 1/4 and 904 transmission behind a stock 318 with only a 4 barrel and headers, it's going go but when?

Wet, Icy roads in AZ?
No way!

We are at 5,500 feet and even have pine trees.
It snowed almost a foot here last month.
This picture was taken outside Globe AZ in the hills. (somewhat south of Phoenix)
upload_2019-12-15_8-8-44.jpeg

I could have "fixed" that for you.

(My life philosophy: You cannot break it if it's broken but you can fix it so it can't be fixed)

That 7 1/4 would not have lasted very long around here!!

We are at 5,500 feet and even have pine trees.
It snowed almost a foot here last month.
This picture was taken outside Globe AZ in the hills. (somewhat south of Phoenix)
View attachment 1715438129
Well I like that picture that's for sure!..
but if I was just reading the title of this thread my first comment was going to be if it been over 4 hours seek medical attention!...:D..

I wish I had your problem at this moment, it would already be going in right now.

it wouldn't be that difficult to make that decision if you grenaded the spider gears. I imagine two laps around the block sideways at 7000 rpm would do the trick.
don't forget the video !!!

Why is it so hard to fix something that isn't broke?
I have a "uni ped" 7.25 rear end with 2:73 gears behind a mildish 5.9 Magnum and 42RH overdrive trans in my Dart and have driven it thousands of miles with zero issues for years now.
I could literally stop at the gas station, fill up and take off out of state without so much as even opening the hood to check anything, it's that reliable.
Right now there is a 8.25 Sure Grip with 3:55 gears and disc brakes, full of fluid with the additive sitting on jack stands in my back yard ready to go in and I have everything to do the swap.

Why am I hesitating?:realcrazy:
It's just that hard to take something apart that already works I guess.

I could use the excuses, "It's a holiday season" or "It's 45 degrees" or any other excuse, but that's all they are.
We have 3 other cars I could drive while mine is being done, and a buddy has a garage and has offered to help.

I need that "Swift kick in the ***" my Dad used to threaten me with when I was a kid I guess.:lol:

It only took me a month to destroy my old 7 1/4 and 904 transmission behind a stock 318 with only a 4 barrel and headers, it's going go but when?

I blew 3 7 1/4" axles in my Barracuda within 4 years with a mild 318, 340 cam, stock dual plane intake, Holley 600 Vac secondary, and dual exhaust daily driver.... nothing special, just a nice daily driver that got 17.75 MPG highway...

The last straw was when the driver's side axle came out with the tire attached while I was driving down the highway and passed me on the shoulder... :BangHead: :steering: :wtf:

After that I swapped in an 8 3/4" with 3.23 sure grip and never had another axle problem... I drove that Barracuda to 500,000 miles.... I put a good 200,000 or more on the 8 3/4"...

With the sure grip and narrow tires, it went through snow better than the wife's Neon...

I've had the Ford 400 built to replace Gladys' 351M for a good two years. It's stuffed under the work bench in the shop. Nice, hot 400 that's gonna sound really good and have lots of balls of bottom end torque with that 4" stroke. The 351 runs so good I still cannot bring myself to do it.

Last edited:
Stomp on that thing hitting some right hand turns. After the spider gears explode, you won't need any excuses.

Do a couple pegleg peels with it and record the carnage.

I have jumped on this 7.25 enough to spin one for 100 yards, snap off a shock eyelet and then twist a driveline in half a different time and it hasn't blown.
Don't know why.

That reminds me that I need to tie some leafs together when I have it apart.

I have jumped on this 7.25 enough to spin one for 100 yards, snap off a shock eyelet and then twist a driveline in half a different time and it hasn't blown.
Don't know why.

That reminds me that I need to tie some leafs together when I have it apart.
Well then pull the cover and inspect the crosspin/saddles. If all good, put it back together and run with it. It's not the 7000 rpm peglegs that kill it. It's the boiling oil and/or sudden slip/stops that hammer the spiders, the pin, and eventually egg-out the saddles. then the retainer pin takes the load... until it doesn't. Then pow the crosspin goes out the back..... if yur lucky. If not then it all locks up and now yur in for the ride of yur life.......

Course that happens with an open 8.25 almost as easy,lol.

Wait there's an even easier test; With the parkbrake set, slide under there and rotate the driveshaft as far one way as it goes, then go the other way. Count the resistance stack-ups. First the pinion will take up the ring-gear lash. next the spiders will crawl up the side gears,and force them to move out and away from the spiders, then the crosspin will walk to the other side of the egg, and finally the case will rotate, until the slack in the splines gets taken up by the locked brakes.
On second thought, don't do this test; you don't want to see/feel all that....... Plus sometimes it makes horrible noises.

Last edited:
Let's see...you have indoor space available to do this...all the bits n pieces to do it...and assistance if required...
Tell me again why this isn't done already?:poke:
Hmmmmm?:mob:

:lol:

-
Back