Why my SBP 14" Mopar Rallye won't fit the front of '65 Valiant?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I did not expect a problem like this morning. Tried to swap a pair of 14" Rallye wheels (temporarily) from the front of the '65 Formula S to the front '65 Valiant Signet Convertible. The Rallye wheel will not slide all the way down over the front hub/spindle. There are enough threads on the studs showing to put the lug nuts on about half way. What on earth is going on? My dial calipers won't fit to get a measure of the center holes of the Rallye wheel nor the other factory 14" wheel on the Valiant. But the outside hub diameter on the Valiant seems to be about 2.3", if my caliper reading is correct. (The Formula S is not here right now, so can't measure anything on the front of the Barracuda right now).

Here is what I found on the Valiant front drum, if that helps:
CENTURY C 2932 MAX DIA 10.060
Thank you.

What kind of disc brakes do you have on the car? That information is important.

I took an exacto type knife and scraped the hub like crazy which seems to have had a rock-hard film of "petrified" grease or something, until finally the rallye wheel would slide all the way on. What freaked me out was how the original factory 14" steel wheel would slide right on and off while the 14" rallye would hang up. Maybe the manufacturing tolerances on the rallye's are tighter.

I took an exacto type knife and scraped the hub like crazy which seems to have had a rock-hard film of "petrified" grease or something, until finally the rallye wheel would slide all the way on. What freaked me out was how the original factory 14" steel wheel would slide right on and off while the 14" rallye would hang up. Maybe the manufacturing tolerances on the rallye's are tighter.
I think your last sentence is true. I have the similar problem on my Dart w/10"drums all around. The front w/ Rally's need to be "kicked" after lug nut removal to remove them, while the 13" stockers that came on the car slide on and off with no effort at all.

-
Back