Why people don't buy craftsman anymore

-
As mentioned above, 2 of the very few tools I refuse to use other than a specific name brand are Channel Locks and Vise Grips.

Off brand adjustable pliers never have the same, smooth movement as Channel Lock brand, and often hang up when closing or changing grooves.

Off brand Vise Grips seem loose and wobbly.

I usually buy vintage usa made craftsman off ebay or from swap meets. Usually it's the same price or cheaper than the chinese made stuff that's on the shelf in the stores now a days. Also been picking up 1st gen kobalt stuff as it's made by williams/snap on.

Words of wisdom from my dad. “Never be afraid to buy the best, you won’t be disappointed “
What I bought when I needed a new compressor.

View attachment 1715830013
Nice Roy, I really like those compressors. I wish this old Ram Air compressor I have would die, but I just can’t kill it! Buddy gave it to me when I was stationed in Hawaii in the 90’s and it just keeps on chugging along. Would like to get one with more cfm if it ever dies. May need to put nail heads in the crankcase…
E4BB33BF-1E80-4139-BF43-8AE9AB13E49B.jpeg

In general, I'm more of a "second tier" guy.

Things like S-K, Proto, Matco, etc (formerly including Craftsman).
Mostly second hand, at that.

That high end stuff like Snap-On is just WAY too expensive for me.

I do stall have a substantial amount of early 1980's Craftsman sockets and wrenches.

Nice Roy, I really like those compressors. I wish this old Ram Air compressor I have would die, but I just can’t kill it! Buddy gave it to me when I was stationed in Hawaii in the 90’s and it just keeps on chugging along. Would like to get one with more cfm if it ever dies. May need to put nail heads in the crankcase…View attachment 1715830080
You can’t kill those old Craftsman compressors. Many years ago I had one like that one that was bronze in color. I had to give it away so I could get a new one.

Speaking of Sears paint...

Anyone got a close match OTC spray can color for that Sears tan?

My compressor regulator and water separator are that color and so is my new (to me) 48" box fan, and that needs some touch up.

It's the only bad thing about capitalism
( Or good if you're making the profit)
Cheap unskilled labor is more profitable !

It's the only bad thing about capitalism
( Or good if you're making the profit)
Cheap unskilled labor is more profitable !

I use to think that..... And it only goes so far.... But thanks to Covid Automation is now replacing what was once cheap labor. A big mess is on the Horizon....

JW

I use to think that..... And it only goes so far.... But thanks to Covid Automation is now replacing what was once cheap labor. A big mess is on the Horizon....

JW
Yeah that's really true.

Oh that reminds me of a 75 pound torque wrench I bought from Craftsman, I used to torque my heads and it broke. Lol, sure **** I didn't look at the torque rating. I dumbed

Yeah that's really true.

Yes, it really is..... I have in many Manufacturing plants in the USA doing things from A to Z and all but one are investing in Automation. Covid and how it was handled in regards to people moving a pile of rocks from here to there is what they have all said.. Couldn't get people to work. Automation fixes that...

JW

Yea that's one thing I refuse to buy from Craftsman is torque wrenches.
Exactly! I had good luck (customers too) with the torque wrenches MAC sold. About the only thing that were trouble were the ratchet heads. Mac had a great repair department that could repair, calibrate, and even certify if needed. Most of ours were accurate to within +/- 2% of the full scale.

Exactly! I had good luck (customers too) with the torque wrenches MAC sold. About the only thing that were trouble were the ratchet heads. Mac had a great repair department that could repair, calibrate, and even certify if needed. Most of ours were accurate to within +/- 2% of the full scale.

CDI is my choice

I sold those as well. I have a 1/2" 250# here at home. They are nice for sure.

When I started in Manufacturing (1992) I spent about $200.00 on a tool bag and still have about 95% of those tools. My dad was a NAPA employee and I got tools at cost. The NAPA stamped wrenches are still accounted for and have never failed. Who made those wrenches back then?

JW

Used to have a set of Kraeuter sockets/ratchet that were pretty good tools. I like the proto,sk,cornwells I have.

-
Back