Why people don't buy craftsman anymore

-
Lots of stuff Sears sold was re branded to their in-house names and sometimes hard to figure out who actually made it.
Yes I like Dollar General - keeps me from having to even go to Walmart
Pretty sure most of their appliances were that way. Some "Kenmores" were GREAT, others not so much.

We had a "Sears" branded Atari 2600.
They must have been masters of licensing agreements because it was actually $5 cheaper than the Atari branded one.

I agree that should have been ahead of the online game but their demise actually started way before online was even close to how big it is now.

Lots of folks blame Wal-mart for the demise of both Sears and K-Mart.
I'm sure it had something to do with it.

Speaking of that, how about Dollar General?
They are "out-Wal-Marting" Wal-Mart.
Their stores are closer to your house and the prices are similar if not a tad bit cheaper.
Why drive farther, and fight the parking and the Wal-Martians if what you need is at DG?

It's almost the return of the neighborhood "five and dime" store, but they're all the same and corporate owned.

Double the price than a junk tool is worth the extra. If you are a hobbyist almost anything will work. If you wrench for a living quality/long lasting tools are the only way to go. The truck to shop service is a huge benefit of the tool companies.
I agree.

Last edited:
I agree but tool men get cocky. I rolled my tools into a trans shop(one of the last auto shops I worked at) and the Snap On guy ,first thing he said was "who are you, do you owe money?" I thought that was rather rude, I don't recall doing much business with him . My tool bill was paid up at that point, and I had the nice KRL bottom cab full of tools I still have it in my home garage and use my tools often.
It wasn't the best way to do it but he meant what he said. I probably got screwed by the last guy that left the shop. Oh it always makes your day when you stop in a shop and the guy that owes you $1000 has disappeared and no one knows (or will tell) where he went. Chasing after money owed can cost you more than you collect sometimes.

It wasn’t just tools. Sears meant quality. For many years we had Kenmore appliances. They were second to none. Our refrigerator is 35 years old!
Mama and Daddy had a Sears Coldspot window unit A/C they bought in 59 when they bought the house we grew up in. It was a "3 ton" window unit. It cooled the whole house without breakin a sweat and even cycled the compressor on the hottest of days. When Mama got bad off with cancer, about 1981, they put central heat and air in. It took three BIG dudes to take that window unit out and they had trouble with it. It was still workin fine, but Mama and Daddy's bedroom was on the opposite end of the house and on the west side. Daddy didn't want to take a chance on Mama gettin too hot since she was pretty much bed ridden so they decided for the Central heat and air.

It wasn't the best way to do it but he meant what he said. I probably got screwed by the last guy that left the shop. Oh it always makes your day when you stop in a shop and the guy that owes you $1000 has disappeared and no one knows (or will tell) where he went. Chasing after money owed can cost you more than you collect sometimes.
He assumes mechanics are dead beats. I've been to a snap on guys house they live better than the wrenches they serve. In not implying anything either way, but I will say this anything pays better than fixing peoples cars. In the end I was buying certain tools at harbor freight. I couldn't see paying what snap on wanted for a ball peen hammer.

He assumes mechanics are dead beats. I've been to a snap on guys house they live better than the wrenches they serve. In not implying anything either way, but I will say this anything pays better than fixing peoples cars. In the end I was buying certain tools at harbor freight. I couldn't see paying what snap on wanted for a ball peen hammer.

I have also seen a MAC dealer quit the business and go and drive a school bus so he could get better health insurance for his wife. Now that doesn't sound like a rich man.

I have also seen a MAC dealer quit the business and go and drive a school bus so he could get better health insurance for his wife. Now that doesn't sound like a rich man.
It all depends on the route.(if you are in a section of town where you dont have lot of shops to stop at, and not many customers) also remember tool trucks are a franchise, to even get a truck you need to come up with the cash. I've seen guys empty their savings accounts for a Snap on Truck only to be unemployed less than two years later. it all comes down to this, the tool trucks are selling tools priced for a guy who makes 60 -75 grand a year, most auto shop wrenches are making 40 -50 at best. Plus they get you in hock to them to where you pay them more than you pay your ex for child support. I dont feel sorry for tool truck salesmen...

It all depends on the route.(if you are in a section of town where you dont have lot of shops to stop at, and not many customers) also remember tool trucks are a franchise, to even get a truck you need to come up with the cash. I've seen guys empty their savings accounts for a Snap on Truck only to be unemployed less than two years later. it all comes down to this, the tool trucks are selling tools priced for a guy who makes 60 -75 grand a year, most auto shop wrenches are making 40 -50 at best. Plus they get you in hock to them to where you pay them more than you pay your ex for child support. I dont feel sorry for tool truck salesmen...

This happened about 2000 and he had been selling MAC for a long time. I had been doing business with him for 13 years. MAC also screwed him on returning his inventory, so he refused to turn over his books to them. And this was in the Orlando Fl market so no small town. But then I also know a guy that was a Snap On dealer for a long time that quit Snap On and went independent I am sure he made a lot of money his truck was always chock full of tools and he was always on route no excuses.

I seem to recall MAC having issues internally around that timeframe. A MAC dealer I knew left and went over to Matco. I've bought them all I have no issues with the tools, Snappy, Mac Matco etc. one gripe Ill throw out there is, if you move around and you have your bill paid, the one snap on guy gave me grief about replacing a tool he said "did you buy that from me?" it shouldn't matter but this is why i dont like some tool guys. Greedy.

Mama and Daddy had a Sears Coldspot window unit A/C they bought in 59 when they bought the house we grew up in. It was a "3 ton" window unit. It cooled the whole house without breakin a sweat and even cycled the compressor on the hottest of days

I just bought an old farm house. Pretty nice house, but I’m doing some remodeling to bring it up to date. Central heat, but no air. There’s a big Montgomery Ward unit in the living room wall. Works like new, and cools the whole house. Plan on upgrading the heat and air in the spring.

I bought the 20v reciprocating saw. I used it a little to hard as I ended up smoking the motor. Had for a couple years. But I think I'm partly to blame as I didnt keep a sharp blade in it.

I seem to recall MAC having issues internally around that timeframe. A MAC dealer I knew left and went over to Matco. I've bought them all I have no issues with the tools, Snappy, Mac Matco etc. one gripe Ill throw out there is, if you move around and you have your bill paid, the one snap on guy gave me grief about replacing a tool he said "did you buy that from me?" it shouldn't matter but this is why i dont like some tool guys. Greedy.
Breaking, I think remember that from the 90's or maybe 2000

-
Back