Widen the rear wells

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
Good Day,I have heard of people widening the rear wells by rolling a pipe or something between the well and the wheel. Has anyone tried this and is there another way to open them an inch wider without butchering or cutting? Thanks for the help.

Hummmmmmmmm, that's a tuffy, I know theres a thread or two here on that. Theres a hand held machine/device that rolls the inner lip over for a little clearance.
(I think Eastwood has this device.)

Also, you could get a kit to move the springs inboard for that much and more clearance from Mopar.

5 lb Harley hammer on our 1977 Volare,ran those cop slots, put 1/2 wide nuts as spacers on the studs. 12.5 X 15 MT's. it was a lot of hammering @ a hard angle..

i rolled the lip on my swinger with a bat between the wheel and fender rolling the car slowly by hand.go very slow so as not to warp the panel.

i woildnt do the rolling thing i have several buddies that have totally ruind quaterswith a ba or piece of pipe take a die grinder and cut the lip into 1/2 inch sections and fold them up with some pliers then take a block of wood or something to use as a dolley and wrap it up with a towel and take a hammer and finish it up works really nice

Thanks for all the suggestions. The pass panel is in not so good shape so if I ruin that one first its all good. I like the bat idea,hammerings just not my thing anymore to noisy. Well see what happens. The back spacing allows for a lot of room on the inside so no spring relocating needed. Thanks again guys you rock :rock:

Could use a ball bat. or a hammer and tap tap tap back and forth. But don't try to roll it all in one hit. Just jap back and forth and roll it a little at a time.

A wooden rolling pin works like a wooden baseball bat and is much easier to handle.
It helps if you have bare metal and a torch to heat up the metal, but yes rumblefish is right.

Eastwood sells a professional, adjustable lip roller for about $300.oo

That's alot of money to use a tool once, but if you want it done right, sometimes to gotta step up to the plate.

I would go with the offset shackles first and give that a try.

My problem is the tire is only rubbing on the panel the springs arent in the way so if I move them wont the rubbing still be there? I would gladely trade all 4 wheel well trims for the labor of the 2 rears!!! Any takers??? Please :munky2:

-
Back