Will 8-3/4 alxes fit in the old 65 7-1/4 rear?

-
Reaction score
Im in the process of upgrading my rear end. I have the weakling oringinal rear end in my 65 barracuda with the 4 inch bolt pattern. I do however have a set of axles with a 4-1/2 inch bolt pattern from an 8-3/4 rear end. Will these axles work or will I have to put the an 8-3/4 rear end housing and gears...the whole tomato?

The weak link in the 7 1/4 is the chunk. My dad blew 3 in his 65 before going with the 8 3/4. I am not taking the chance and will be going 8 3/4 before It goes back on the road. Save yourself a headache and put the whole thing in.

They wont fit, do the whole tomoato. 8-3/4!

THanks for saving me the trouble of blowing it up. I'll keep looking for an 8-3/4 rear. Oh...by the way...does anyone have one for sale? or any recommendations.

Depending on what your plans are for the car the 7 1/4 may be just fine until you locate an 8 1/4 or an 8 3/4. It was the stock rear end behind \6's and non performance 273's and 318's, in those applications it provided 100's of thousands of trouble free miles. If your immendiate goal is the bigger bolt circle any 73 and up A-body with disk brakes or a 318 will likely have a big bolt circle 7 1/4, much, much, much easier to find than an 8 3/4 (I gave one away a couple of years ago).

You will just need to remember that you can't be beating on it or it will fail.

8.75 has 3 inch axle tubes in the housing. 7.25 has 2.5 inch axle tubes in the housing. Cannot fit.

THanks for saving me the trouble of blowing it up. I'll keep looking for an 8-3/4 rear. Oh...by the way...does anyone have one for sale? or any recommendations.

i have a c-body housing and axles for sale. it would need to be shortened and everything gone through, been sitting behind the shed for a while but i'd let it go cheap.
-Tim

8 1/4 might be your cheapest and easiest way out depending on your HP output. These rears are usually good for about 400HP.
(just another option)

IMHO, I'd keep my eye open for a complete pre '71 B-body 8 3/4. They are a little wider than an A-body housing, but you can make up for it with running more wheel offset. All you have to do is chisel off the spring perches and weld them to the position you need for your car.

I ran one in a '75 Dart Sport and I ran a '69 B-body Dana in my '71 Duster.

If you're not an all-Mopar fanatic, the 8.8 and 9 inch rears for the leaf sprung Grenada/Monarch/Versailles will fit without modifying the spring perch. Since you have a 7¼ now, any change in ring gear diameter will probably mean that the driveshaft will have to be shortened, too.

how hard would it be to install a 8 1/4 into an orginal 7 1/4 rearend barracuda
or would it even be worth it? i plan on having around 350 hp at the fly

how hard would it be to install a 8 1/4 into an orginal 7 1/4 rearend barracuda
or would it even be worth it? i plan on having around 350 hp at the fly
An A-body 8.25 bolts right in. Your driveshaft will no longer fit however.

I have a '65 barracuda and I'm in the same boat as you. I'm either going to just save up for an A-body 8 3/4 or go B-body 8 3/4. I just dont see the logic of paying a lot of money for an 8 1/4. I toasted one once with a 375HP 318.And it did not take much either. But that is just me. Lots of people on this site run the 8 1/4 with no problems. I may get one if the price is right.

Too easy. It's a bolt in deal...........other than you going to have to shorten you driveshaft.

Look under '72-'73 D-100/150s'; they have 8 3/4 and non-tapered axles that are even better to cut down than the C-bodies. The vans in that era had 'em,too! A-100 and A-108 are good,too. The perch-to-perch and drum-to-drum measurements are identical to an A-body, are factory BB pattern, and all you do is switch them from bottom riding to top riding. Just scored a complete one w/3.55s' for $175!

The said thing is I sold the one out of my car and guy put it behind a small block cheby in a dun buggy. I bought a brand new track-lok and put in it. That's the reason he wanted it.

8 1/4 might be your cheapest and easiest way out depending on your HP output. These rears are usually good for about 400HP.
(just another option)

I'm in S.E. NC and need a BBP 8 1/4 rear axle for my 65 Dart. Are these only in the 73 to 76 years? Every bone yard I call says they don't have anything this old :(.

Hey guys: I just happen to have one ( 8.25 ) and am waiting for the backing plates to arrive before i complete the assembly. It is a suregrip, gear unknown till tomorrow but will sell and ship if someone wants it. Make an offer. I'd like to get on the north side of $500 for it. I'm in West Plains, Mo. 65775
Small Block

-
Back