will Edelbrock LD4B intake bolt on to a stock 1964 318 poly

-

Evanfrucht

Reaction score
Hey, I'm very new to mopars so forgive me. I just bought a 1964 plymouth fury wagon.. It has a Carter AFB carburetor on top of a stock 2 barrel intake (with what looks like some sort of 2/4 barrel adapter.) They guy I bought the car from says it's the original motor I haven't confirmed it 100% but in pretty sure it is the stock 318 poly from 1964 model year. I want a 4 barrel intake to match the Carter AFB I have.

Basically, this is all pretty new to me. I read somewhere that the LD4B intake is for 66+ cars with 318 engines. Will an LD4B edelbrock intake bolt onto a 1964 small block 318? If not, what changed and why isnt it compatible?

Get a copy of Chrysler Power magazine. There is a big cult following now of the Poly stuff and IIRC someone is making intakes and all kinds of crap for the Poly platform.

Hey, I actually was at the Pomona swap meet but I didn't buy this car till last week. So are you saying the edelbrock LD4B intake won't fit my 318 poly? I probably could find a stock 318 poly 4 bbl intake and will go that route if I have to but I'm interested in finding an aluminum intake. I'm looking for the best intake for street performance, horsepower/torque gain.

Hey, I actually was at the Pomona swap meet but I didn't buy this car till last week. So are you saying the edelbrock LD4B intake won't fit my 318 poly? I probably could find a stock 318 poly 4 bbl intake and will go that route if I have to but I'm interested in finding an aluminum intake. I'm looking for the best intake for street performance, horsepower/torque gain.

Nope, will not fit.

my plan for this car is to slowly hot rod it out while keeping it true to era. I like vintage stuff rather than new. That why I was interested in the vintage edelbrock intake.

Thanks. I'm pretty decent at seeking stuff out but I just want to figure out what I'm looking for exactly so I can try to find it. someone selling something may tell me it will fit my car (they may actually think it will) but if I have no idea what I'm buying I could get stuck with a part that actually doesn't fit my car.

I'd find a stock or Offy or Wyand or old edelbrock and baseline before spending that kind of coin on a new manifold, even a dual quad with a couple of AVS
spend the rest of the money on some headers and good duals, transgo kit, etc
remember polys do not need much cam
might not fit and not be for your gears/ converter/ cam/ goals
come up with a list of OK and Pass on
join some Poly groups
It's a strong motor- takes all kind of abuse, works hard, runs forever
be patient in your search

I'd find a stock or Offy or Wyand or old edelbrock and baseline before spending that kind of coin on a new manifold, even a dual quad with a couple of AVS
spend the rest of the money on some headers and good duals, transgo kit, etc
remember polys do not need much cam
might not fit and not be for your gears/ converter/ cam/ goals
come up with a list of OK and Pass on
join some Poly groups
It's a strong motor- takes all kind of abuse, works hard, runs forever
be patient in your search

Yes, I would prefer to spend much less than $650 but I do want to hot rod this thing ou and I have to get a new intake manifold anyway to match the Carter AFD. Right now the Carter 4 brrl carb is sitting on my stock 2 brrl intake.

The thing is, every single dual plane 4 barrel manifold I find that is advertised as for the 318 mopar small block will not fit on the 318 that came in my 1964 fury. Is this the difference that mine is a 318 Poly and these other aftermarket parts are made for the 318 LA?

What old elelbrock model's were made for my 318 poly, if any?

Also, If money were not an option would the Chrysler power poly 'wind tunnel' intake be a good candidate for a 318 street rod with a "mild cam" (that's what the previous owner said was installed when he had the engine rebuilt 5 y. ago.) ?

Last edited:
The thing is, every single dual plane 4 barrel manifold I find that is advertised as for the 318 mopar small block will not fit on the 318 that came in my 1964 fury. Is this the difference that mine is a 318 Poly and these other aftermarket parts are made for the 318 LA?

Anything offered aftermarket today will not fit the Poly 318, and it will be for the LA 318. As others have stated, you will have to source either a factory single or dual quad intake, an old Weiand intake etc. There is a new company that is making manifolds, but they are pricey. I loved the Poly that I had in a 65 Fury, it was torquey and gave decent fuel mileage as well. Good luck on your hunt!

No the ld4b nor any LA or magnum intake manifolds will fit a 64 poly or any poly 318. The poly is much wider and the ports are in different locations.

You have a couple options.

Currently, no one only is making aftermarket aluminum intakes for the poly. Weiland was and Chrysler Power was as well but low demand stopped the production. Now that said, these intakes can be found but be prepared to pay big bucks for them, they sale for over 600 bucks.

Option 2: is a factory 4 barrel intake from a 58-60 318 poly or even a desoto poly. These intakes are actually good intakes with the only draw back being the 4 barrel pattern is wary 4 barrel and no factory nor aftermarket carb made after 1960 will fit it. Unless you have an adapter plate. I found the adapter plate only from speedway motors. It's bout 40 bucks but will allow a holly 4150 pattern carb to bolt on. There is no adapter available for the spread bore eddlebrock or Carter patterns. Expect to pay 350 to 450 for this intake.

Option 3: factory dual quad intake for the poly. This is almost as rare as the max wedge cross ram intakes and cost is over 800 for the intake alone. You still run into the adapter plate issue as the single 4 barrel.

Option 4: In the early 60s, prior to the LA era, Edlebrock made a 6 pack intake for the poly. Extremely rare and sale for 1200 plus. They had two versions, an iron and aluminum. Both equally rare. So much so I've only seen one in 10 years come up for sale.

You'll find that aftermarket support for the poly in non-existent. Cams, Pistons etc are all custom order. And that drives up cost.

Now for the good news, the 318 poly block is nearly indestructible, can be bored as much as .10. Can be stroked with a stock 360LA crank with some minor machining. They also make more power than a comparable stock LA engine. Simply because the heads flow so much better.

If you have any poly questions, let me know. I only have 4 of them, including a 4 barrel one

No the ld4b nor any LA or magnum intake manifolds will fit a 64 poly or any poly 318. The poly is much wider and the ports are in different locations.

You have a couple options.

Currently, no one only is making aftermarket aluminum intakes for the poly. Weiland was and Chrysler Power was as well but low demand stopped the production. Now that said, these intakes can be found but be prepared to pay big bucks for them, they sale for over 600 bucks.

Option 2: is a factory 4 barrel intake from a 58-60 318 poly or even a desoto poly. These intakes are actually good intakes with the only draw back being the 4 barrel pattern is wary 4 barrel and no factory nor aftermarket carb made after 1960 will fit it. Unless you have an adapter plate. I found the adapter plate only from speedway motors. It's bout 40 bucks but will allow a holly 4150 pattern carb to bolt on. There is no adapter available for the spread bore eddlebrock or Carter patterns. Expect to pay 350 to 450 for this intake.

Option 3: factory dual quad intake for the poly. This is almost as rare as the max wedge cross ram intakes and cost is over 800 for the intake alone. You still run into the adapter plate issue as the single 4 barrel.

Option 4: In the early 60s, prior to the LA era, Edlebrock made a 6 pack intake for the poly. Extremely rare and sale for 1200 plus. They had two versions, an iron and aluminum. Both equally rare. So much so I've only seen one in 10 years come up for sale.

You'll find that aftermarket support for the poly in non-existent. Cams, Pistons etc are all custom order. And that drives up cost.

Now for the good news, the 318 poly block is nearly indestructible, can be bored as much as .10. Can be stroked with a stock 360LA crank with some minor machining. They also make more power than a comparable stock LA engine. Simply because the heads flow so much better.

If you have any poly questions, let me know. I only have 4 of them, including a 4 barrel one

See post 9. An aftermarket intake is being made.

See post 9. An aftermarket intake is being made.
Was. Chrysler power ceased production for awhile to see if inventory reduces. I talked to Larry himself 3 weeks ago. They've got a pretty good stock pile of them. If they start selling, they'll make more. Right now those intakes are around 5- 600

If you really want to hotrod it, might look into Some of Bruce Toth's aftermarket aluminum heads for the poly. These are currently the ONLY aluminum poly heads available. They aren't cheap but engines with those heads and some other parts have been making over 500 hp.

I've never tried to bolt one up, but I was under the impression that some early Dodge Hemi intakes bolt up to the Poly. Does anyone know if this is true? I guess I could try if I can find the time, as I have a Hemi and a Poly.

I've never tried to bolt one up, but I was under the impression that some early Dodge Hemi intakes bolt up to the Poly. Does anyone know if this is true?
The dodge ones no. The desoto hemi ones, yes. It has to do with the passages for the coolant mainly.

I've never tried to bolt one up, but I was under the impression that some early Dodge Hemi intakes bolt up to the Poly. Does anyone know if this is true?
With some modifications, an LS7 intake can be made to fit. Involves expoxy and machining but can be done somewhat easily.

Small block Ford headers can be made to fit as well if one oblongs the holes in the mounting flanges

-
Back