will Edelbrock LD4B intake bolt on to a stock 1964 318 poly

-
Thanks for all the info. I'm shooting for close to 350 HP if I can. That being said, I don't want to overhaul the whole engine yet though. The previous owner said he had the engine rebuilt 5 years ago, heads machined, bored 03 over, he said it has "a mild cam in there that I'm gonna love," idk the kind of headers it has but I plan to change them and do a custom exhaust set up. He did not drive it very much at all since the rebuild because its kinda of a basket case/ not road safe. Lights dont work etc, all rubber is really bad, driver door doesnt close.... its starts right up tho with no smoke but it is clearly out of tune, kinda hesitant. Basically he lost his job right after doing engine, trans, rear end rebuilding few years ago and had to sell the car now to pay bills. I know the POs word doesnt mean much since he lost the receipts but for what is worth I believe the guy and would rather not start digging into engine replacing internals before I really need to.

I'm gonna sound like an idiot here but it turns out the car actually has the early poly 4 barrel intake casting number 1859229 on it already. Basically I've been at work a lot the last few days and haven't been around the car much. My father used to have a 1965 sport fury with a 383 bb years ago so he knows a bit about mopars. Right after I bought the car a few days ago he took a quick look under the hood and mentioned the intake looked stock and because it has a mr gasket adapter I though the PO might of mikey moused it and put the AFB on the stock 2brrl. Just found out he did NOT, he did it the proper way that you mentioned. I'm at home today so I've had time to look over the car more. I'm going to start a new thread because I have some other questions.
biggest thing, take some pictures, it'll help you and us along the way with any questions. Glad to help if i can. I'd check those headers. There is only 2 companies currently mass producing headers for them, Chrysler power and TTI. Either one of those is a good set. That is, if he didnt modify a set of small block ford headers to save some money.

an LS intake can be made to fit a poly if you can believe that. Pretty close out of the box, just backfill the ports to match up.
yep. but not just back fill, the intake ports themselves have to be machined at the top to match up as well. But its very close. You all need an adapter plate to bolt it on and a coolant crossover system as well.
attached is a pic of the poly with an LS intake on it. note the adapter plates.

polymoparls.PNG

good news on the 4 bbl manifold
post up the compression
might as well keep this thread
awesome pidc of the LS method- good luck shutting the hood
check out the oil feed to the rocker arms (sludging up the valve covers / rockers was an Poly and Y block ford problem
or as YR says they may be drainbacks I can't tell- getting new trifocals
I asked about MOPAR .904 masters, not cores but good to know
What about the guy in San Diego that uses Schneider? same question

yep. but not just back fill, the intake ports themselves have to be machined at the top to match up as well. But its very close. You all need an adapter plate to bolt it on and a coolant crossover system as well.
attached is a pic of the poly with an LS intake on it. note the adapter plates.

View attachment 1715213488

I like he external drain backs. That was a big problem with the poly heads. They had 2 small pencil diameter drain holes. You could flood the head right quick and if the seal weren't perfect it would smoke like a locomotive.

could a machinist with a lathe make a cam blank? Grab some bar stock and start cutting? Good luck with the cam gear.

could a machinist with a lathe make a cam blank? Grab some bar stock and start cutting? Good luck with the cam gear.
i dont know. cams are usually heat treated and hardened. I'm sure one with some knowledge could but why do that and spend all that extra money when there is places that have the cores and can grind them for 150 bucks? or 75 if you send them a core?

Last edited:
if the cores are unobtainable I supposed it would be an option. The roller cams were cast.

if the cores are unobtainable I supposed it would be an option. The roller cams were cast.
they arent is the thing. Comp has a stock pile of them and quoted me 10-15 days build time. Same with Oregon cam grinders. Sure they aren't everywhere, but they are around.

You have 3 choices.....

Factory cast iron Poly intake - $400
Weiand single plane aluminum poly intake. No longer produced - $500+
Chrysler Power intake. I think they are around $600 new, if they are still being produced.

Also, the stock cast iron can be opened up for current Edelbrock square bore carbs or you can modify a phenolic spacer.

20150406_214931.jpg
20150406_215018.jpg
20150406_215120.jpg

And I made thick steel inserts to block off the heat crossover ports...
20151004_163258.jpg

Last edited:
I would not like an inventory of poly manifolds with that LS work around available
got caught with a pile of LA X and J heads all done up with seats and guides
everybody wanted aluminum
same with 915 Big block heads
Lucky some Iron bandits got a pallet of early Big Block heads
where are the Poly Engine Masters Stories?

I would not like an inventory of poly manifolds with that LS work around available
got caught with a pile of LA X and J heads all done up with seats and guides
everybody wanted aluminum
same with 915 Big block heads
Lucky some Iron bandits got a pallet of early Big Block heads
where are the Poly Engine Masters Stories?
The LS work around is very expensive to do. You don't save any money. A carb LS intake goes for nearly the same as a factory 4 barrel. Then you have the time and money involved in the expoxy and porting of the ports to line up. Then you have the custom adapter plate costs.

True but more choices for LS than Poly- unfortunately
anyone make a kit?
I had a 4 door full sized 57? Plymouth wagon spare tire was behind the right rear vertical poly ran forever was it two speed trans? I forget

True but more choices for LS than Poly- unfortunately
anyone make a kit?
I had a 4 door full sized 57? Plymouth wagon spare tire was behind the right rear vertical poly ran forever was it two speed trans? I forget
No kit. And actually there's not a bunch of carb intakes for an LS, only a couple more options.

No one makes a kit. The intake is NOT a bolt on and HAS to be modified plus have the adapter plates. The LS intake isn't as wide and the bolt pattern is different. Thus the adapter plates.

Thanks for all the info. I'm shooting for close to 350 HP if I can. That being said, I don't want to overhaul the whole engine yet though. The previous owner said he had the engine rebuilt 5 years ago, heads machined, bored 03 over, he said it has "a mild cam in there that I'm gonna love," idk the kind of headers it has but I plan to change them and do a custom exhaust set up. He did not drive it very much at all since the rebuild because its kinda of a basket case/ not road safe. Lights dont work etc, all rubber is really bad, driver door doesnt close.... its starts right up tho with no smoke but it is clearly out of tune, kinda hesitant. Basically he lost his job right after doing engine, trans, rear end rebuilding few years ago and had to sell the car now to pay bills. I know the POs word doesnt mean much since he lost the receipts but for what is worth I believe the guy and would rather not start digging into engine replacing internals before I really need to.

I'm gonna sound like an idiot here but it turns out the car actually has the early poly 4 barrel intake casting number 1859229 on it already. Basically I've been at work a lot the last few days and haven't been around the car much. My father used to have a 1965 sport fury with a 383 bb years ago so he knows a bit about mopars. Right after I bought the car a few days ago he took a quick look under the hood and mentioned the intake looked stock and because it has a mr gasket adapter I though the PO might of mikey moused it and put the AFB on the stock 2brrl intake. Just found out he did NOT, he did it the proper way that you mentioned. I'm at home today so I've had time to look over the car more. I'm going to start a new thread because I have some other questions.
That adapter's probably there because the stock 4 bbl carb that came on those were Carter WCFB carbs, and they used the early small Carter bolt pattern.

-
Back