Will I live long enough? "Camless" engine valves

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
First time I dreamed about this I bet I wasn't 30 years old. That would have been somewhere around 1970-74. It is still not a reality. THINK

No cam friction, and everything associated, the HP required to lift the valves against the springs.

Almost infinite control of cam timing, lift, duration. You could have an AA/F engine start up like it's Granny's Grocery Getter

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYEjAv0hFug"]Electromechanical Valve Actuator for Variable Valve Timing - YouTube[/ame]

When I was workin for the local chebbie joint bout the late 80s, I went to a training session at Atlanta and there was a display engine up there with no camshaft. It had solenoids on each valve spring controlled by an ECU. While it was running, it could be programmed and instantly change to a pro stock idle. It was pretty cool.

doesnt this fall under the same as a mercle motor take some new technalagy to them
i havent read up on any lately wait untill telsa is done we can goback to eating our corn and having our beef too

I've heard about this through some Subaru guys. Interesting for sure!

IIRC some F1 teams use pneumatic actuated valves. Koenigsegg is also developing pneumatic valves for their cars. Really cool stuff.

IIRC some F1 teams use pneumatic actuated valves. Koenigsegg is also developing pneumatic valves for their cars. Really cool stuff.

Ya. Saw the article about Ko Icantspelltherest LOL

some race engines have pneumatic valve "springs". a hundred years ago thousands of hit and miss engines did not have camshafts, see them at the county fair. 2 stroke engines make more hp/cu. in. and do not have camshafts

I've heard about this for a long time but it appears how to increase the longevity of the valve setup. No one is gonna buy if every few thousand mile you have to replace them.

Amazing possibilities but EMP = DOA.

"You have got to tell me you are joking"

1677869,0YmgUWk+z4frEV8760wZ8Ti6jmvRvjY4R8WtsRtynnfuwHdtONkGV7fCXrh_NOS7eKR+MnLdciUDV5eX5Nv_LQ==.jpg

"You have got to tell me you are joking"

1677869,0YmgUWk+z4frEV8760wZ8Ti6jmvRvjY4R8WtsRtynnfuwHdtONkGV7fCXrh_NOS7eKR+MnLdciUDV5eX5Nv_LQ==.jpg
[/QUOTE

Big bucks drag race and some guy on the side of the track zaps you with his "ray gun". Or at least you have an excuse when you get spanked by granny's wheel chair... Dammit I had RF and electromagnetic interference and an X class solar flair! :happy1:

Besides, when the Iranians nuke us I want to be able to finish the race!

Anyone ever recall hearing about this?

http://www.coatesengine.com/csrv-advantages.html

I can't find the page right now, but I recall reading an article about a set of dual rotary cam heads being made for a SBF...the company that made them built the bottom end to withstand somewhere north of 8K RPM to fully test the capabilities of the heads and made around 500hp with them...I think SCR was somewhere around 11:1. The pages I looked for no longer exist, but I thought they were kinda cool.

Besides, when the Iranians nuke us I want to be able to finish the race!

Nukes are so 1989. Showing your age bro.

I can see it being implemented soon, since everything else runs off of a solenoid these days, why not a valve?

LOL!! You DO know what the photo is from, and the 'line,' right?

HINT: "ranching"

Nukes are so 1989. Showing your age bro.

I can see it being implemented soon, since everything else runs off of a solenoid these days, why not a valve?

They should have stayed there too... Obummer has been busy helping them make a comeback! We need another Ronnie Ray Gun! :)

Yes. From the 1977 F1 season through the end of the 1.5 liter formula in 1986, Renault used them. The first three seasons were trashed because the engines grenaded with a high frequency of occurrence, earning the cars the nickname, "Yellow Teapot". By the end of the '86 season, the Renault-Gordini (Gordini = SRT in Mopar-speak) V-6 1.5 liter turbo put out 1200 horsepower and live well at 12,500 rpm. As the brilliance of what Renault was doing became evident, other major teams had a go at the pneumatic valves.

Yes. From the 1977 F1 season through the end of the 1.5 liter formula in 1986, Renault used them. The first three seasons were trashed because the engines grenaded with a high frequency of occurrence, earning the cars the nickname, "Yellow Teapot". By the end of the '86 season, the Renault-Gordini (Gordini = SRT in Mopar-speak) V-6 1.5 liter turbo put out 1200 horsepower and live well at 12,500 rpm. As the brilliance of what Renault was doing became evident, other major teams had a go at the pneumatic valves.

THANKS this will give me a bunch of stuff for search terms!!

Infinitely variable valve actuation would eliminate the need for a throttle blade.
This would eliminate part throttle pumping losses and result in improved part throttle fuel economy. ( note that about half of the diesel fuel economy advantage is due to this, the other half is due to diesel fuel having more energy per gallon).
Now if we could just get it to use less energy than a camshaft and if we could just control it as we needed and if we could just make it cheap enough...

Infinitely variable valve actuation would eliminate the need for a throttle blade.
This would eliminate part throttle pumping losses and result in improved part throttle fuel economy. ( note that about half of the diesel fuel economy advantage is due to this, the other half is due to diesel fuel having more energy per gallon).
Now if we could just get it to use less energy than a camshaft and if we could just control it as we needed and if we could just make it cheap enough...

You can do this in a gas motors with direct injection the same way a diesel does it. I can't wait until they do this with the current 3.6. That motor currently in my box of a minivan with only a 5 speed just got over 28 mpg on a 400 mile trip. Now add direct injection and a 9 or 10 speed and these 7 passenger bricks will get mid 30's with the redesign.

-
Back