Will it fit?

-

bloodyholly

Reaction score
(67 Barracuda)
Okay quick question. I'm sure it'll fit either way but I just thought I'd ask. The fuel pump in my car is making a rapid tapping noise and I think it's time to change it.

On my car is this specific fuel pump.
20231108_114430.jpg

But we have a spare fuel pump that has the nozzle facing another way and the part number is...
20231106_102839.jpg

And the nozzle faces another way...so will it still fit? Do we need to bend the fuel line?

Sorry for the vague information. Any help is appreciated!!!

What engine are you dealing with?
Big blocks have a fuel pump pushrod that is known for premature wear and will give you the tapping noise just before they fail completely...

Check that push rod like Professor say's.
1699474930478.png

1699475134747.png

If that's the pump you're asking about, you'll certainly have hard fuel line routing issues. Just buy the correct replacement.

Honestly yeah I'm thinking about just buying the actual part. A friend of mine happened to have the spare so that's why I'm asking. Also it's a 273 and yeah it's gonna seem impossible until it happens (the thing breaking on me) ya know?

Really appreciate it you guys

So are all fuel pumps created equal? where to find a quality pump? Carter NOS? NAPA?

I remember a rant about the parts from over seas just not being worth it.

I believe this is a 273

Last edited:
(67 Barracuda)
Okay quick question. I'm sure it'll fit either way but I just thought I'd ask. The fuel pump in my car is making a rapid tapping noise and I think it's time to change it.

On my car is this specific fuel pump.
View attachment 1716164038
But we have a spare fuel pump that has the nozzle facing another way and the part number is...
View attachment 1716164039
And the nozzle faces another way...so will it still fit? Do we need to bend the fuel line?

Sorry for the vague information. Any help is appreciated!!!
Generally speaking, the fit (to the block) of a small block pump is all the same. The only differences are inlet and outlet locations "Generally Speaking"The small block pumps have a long arm and don't use a pushrod. OF course the big block pumps have a short arm and use a pushrod. The pump in the box could be for a Studebaker for all we know without looking it up. A photo of the pump would sure help.

Honestly yeah I'm thinking about just buying the actual part. A friend of mine happened to have the spare so that's why I'm asking. Also it's a 273 and yeah it's gonna seem impossible until it happens (the thing breaking on me) ya know?

Really appreciate it you guys
Okay, since it's a 273 you're gonna have to just buy the correct pump- that Carter M6774 that you have is a big block pump. No go, Houston.
And as for the small block fuel line routing, the factory changed the orientation of the fuel pump fittings in 1970 so they wouldn't interfere with the radiator hose/water pump inlet; which was moved to the passenger side of the motor in '70. I'm guessing most current replacements are going to be the later style.

Ok thanks you guys. My main takeaway here is... just buy the correct one... I mean I didn't know if they were interchangeable or whatever I dunno but this will be a learning process. Thanks for the wisdom you guys! I'm ordering the part right now.

-
Back