Will not start

-

T.slabseeker

Reaction score
I have rebuilt the carb, put a higher cranking amp battery on my 72 318 Duster. Few of the guys here local tell me I need one of the newer starters so it will crank faster. It starts like a brand new one when I first start it. Any ideas?

you rebuild the carb...no offence...but thats where i would look

also, WHY did you rebuild the carb...could there be a misdiagnosis going on there?

If the OE starter cranks fine when cold but slow when hot it is very likely the starter itself. (this wasn't addressed in your post)
If it cranks fine hot but doesn't start there are other issue's.
Your local people telling you about the newer starters is a good point, but it's not the solution for hard or not starting at all.

One thing to know is that the OE starters use a lot more amperage when cranking, and if you have low voltage at the ignition system that draw can make the car hard to start. (specially with an already warm starter which draws even more amps away from the ignition.)

Point is, the mini starter very well could make it start better but only because the amp draw is less and leaves more free power for the ignition.
Have you happened to check your voltage at the coil+ when it doesn't want to start?

I just figured we would get that part straight early on in the conversation. :D

Last edited:
Yes it is getting fuel, spark and before the carb rebuild it would not start very good when cold. I can put the jumper cables on it usually fires right up. Has new wires, plugs, button, cap, coil, and ignition box .

Is your choke set-up properly???

If you are getting spark and gas, then you just need to dial in the timing and it should start... I would begin setting it to 10° BTDC to try to start it... Then set it with a timing light after you get it started...

-
Back