will somebody please look at your alternator

-

slim17265

Reaction score
"B" body- I have GREEN wire going to top center of pushon clip marked FLD, is this correct? WHAT is the color of the other wire going to the other outboard pushon clip? 1968 car, ALSO if you are still looking for me where does the BROWN wire go coming OUT of dist...somebody PLEASE,, thank you :color:

do you have a square back alternator? if you have 2 push on clips, you need to run a second wire as well as a newer voltage regulator with the triangle plug. do you have points? 1 wire out of dist.(usually black) goes to neg side of coil.

red, this was a fine running setup until I pulled motor apart. it has Mallory prestolite dist, red,green,brown going in, brown coming out and LOOSE, where does it go? I do not need to change anything I just need to attach another wire to back of alt if necessary, as of now I have loose wires near alt. brn,red,black,violet. help

yes this is a squareback alt. on the bottom threaded post there is a violet and black and since this was never removed it should be correct. Is this alt grounded by short wire to valve cover,I found wire in chasis that could be used for that. also coil wires were never removed and should be correct. help

'68 is a single-field system.
If you DO have 2 field terminals, it's technically for a '70-up application, but grounding the "spare" field teriminal will do no damage.

If you have doubts about it charging, with the engine running, CAREFULLY touch a screwdriver tip to the middle of the alternator pulley, if it's charging, the screwdriver will stick to the pulley.
Hold onto it tight, the magnetic force can sometimes surprise you!

Do you have points or electronic ignition?
I'll assume you have points and say that the wire from the distributor (which is USUALLY black) goes to the NEGATIVE side of the coil.

Mark.

you are the first person to offer me some info...the dist is Mallory prestolite, NO POINT, I think it is some kind of photo cell. on the negative side of coil I have black ,green and I am sure this is correct as the car ran well before I took it apart and moved the loose alt around on the K frame whereby I thought some wires may have pulled loose. It would appear that I will just need to bite the bullet and start this beast and see what happens although I have kickdown issues with the high rise 6 pack unit I am reworking this apparatus to where it can work...hopefully thanx again.

yes the violet black wires are correct for the alt constant hot. the violet then goes over tho the horn relay to give it hot power. brown single wire goes to the washer bottle. the red? what thickness is it? mallory red to 12 volt side of ballast, green to coil neg, brown to ground.

-
Back