Will You ship outside of the US

-

Joeychgo

FABO Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If not, please explain why?

I have had some complaints from our Canadian members that some members who sell parts wont ship to Canada --

This boggles me. Can someone please explain why?

Big parts I dont know . Aint tried . But I did ship a key chain i made up ther . No big deal . ..... You know your going to open up a can of worms tho .. Just letting you know .

I never had a problem with it. All somebody has to do is ask. I have even had someone ship something to me that would not ship to Canada and I shipped to Canada. More than once. There's nothin to it.

Joey,i do ship to our members up north,,but need to say the paperwork at the post office and with ups,,does take alittle time.which to others may not be worth it...sd426

Its a small 1 page form isn't it? My mail is all automated so I don't know if there is more involved for a larger part. That's why I'm asking about it.

yes sir 1 page,,i have no problem with it..pretty simple..figuring out the shipping to a person there take some time though..

Half the people In Canada I try to deal with are a pain in the *** cry babies that want everything for half price and then Cry discrimination when they can't get the deal of the century.

Then They freak out when there country slams them with taxes on the value of the part. I have gotten PM's that I should have done something a out that. I ask what should I have done. The following is a list that is no bull **** on "What I should have done!" To make it cheaper for them.

Pay the fee
De-value the part
Charged them less
Give them free parts to make up the difference

Wllllll I deal with purchasers from Canada again?

Not likely. I can get a crybaby harping on me anytime. Why would inflict myself with more?

Rob, we can do this without all the name calling, etc. There is no need for all that.

Why cant you just put in the ad that buyers from Canada must pay all fees and leave it at that? I think also you can mark the customs form that its a gift and that fixes the problem with fees.

I'm a regular seller on ebay, and occasionally here on this site also.
I sell worldwide from Finland, to Australia, and everywhere in between.
I can understand why people don't like to send stuff out of the country.
When i have to look up what it costs to send parts up into Canada, and around the world, a great majority of the time i never hear back from the people that i gave the quote to in the first place. So why even attempt to do it.
It is super expensive to send parts out of the country in this day and age, and people are thinking that you are ripping them off with the shipping quote that you gave them.
So why even bother taking your time in in figuring out how much the package weighs in at, figuring out the shipping, to wherever it's going to, and if boxes, and packaging materials have to be figured into the quote, it's not worth it for lots of individuals to do it, when everything is factored into the deal.
Then if you estimated incorrectly, when you get to the post office counter, are you going to eat the difference, and loose, and send it out anyway?
Well you asked, i replied, just my two cents on the subject.

I always include in the add shipping included to the lower 48. I cover myself with shipping. On some I lose but make up for it on others. Usally Shipping to Canada is extremely high.

I make a trip to the post office after packaging it. Then I come home and send the potential buyer the bad news on the shipping. They then don't want it.

Get ready for round 2 and so on . until I have more money in going to the post office then the part sold for.

Example flat rate shipping a steering box to California from Pa is $15.00 . Same flat rate box to just north of the boarder from pa. to Canada. was $38.00. Its a no brainer. It aint worth all the paper work and time unless the buyer is willing to pay the difference. And that would be shipping and handling. That's two rides to the post office. Gas is going up by the day.

I sold a small item and priced it shipped. It sold to canada and my wife shipped it. I paid them to take my part. I was promised the difference and never heard form them again.

I will sell to canada if they ask But the price goes up. I pay for a dumpster at my shop. so it would be cheaper for me to throw parts away. Then to pay a canadian to take them.

And that is the way it is in the shipping world today.

i'm a regular seller on ebay, and occasionally here on this site also.
i sell worldwide from finland, to australia, and everywhere in between.
i can understand why people don't like to send stuff out of the country.
when i have to look up what it costs to send parts up into canada, and around the world, a great majority of the time i never hear back from the people that i gave the quote to in the first place. So why even attempt to do it.
it is super expensive to send parts out of the country in this day and age, and people are thinking that you are ripping them off with the shipping quote that you gave them.
so why even bother taking your time in in figuring out how much the package weighs in at, figuring out the shipping, to wherever it's going to, and if boxes, and packaging materials have to be figured into the quote, it's not worth it for lots of individuals to do it, when everything is factored into the deal.
then if you estimated incorrectly, when you get to the post office counter, are you going to eat the difference, and loose, and send it out anyway?
well you asked, i replied, just my two cents on the subject.
this is 100% true and i have lost sales becaus of the facts stated..

In my case our post office is always packed and they are slow to get people through. Too many times the USPS calculator has been off when I have taken things to the post office so now I have to get a price directly from the counter to give a quote. That ends up having to deal with two trips to the post office if the buyer does purchase the item. If he doesn't then I have wasted a trip for nothing. All that being said there are members I would ship to anyway.

UPS would be easier in my case but the brokerage fees they charge makes that too expensive for the buyer.

I ship all over the world, 3 places I ship to the most is Sweden, Canada, and Australia. I only ship USPS and they pay the extra shipping and fees. I stay away from shipping large items cause it's spendy, how ever some members are willing to pay the high costs due to parts being nearly impossible to find over there.

I even go as far as to help members out, have parts they bought shipped to me from sellers who refuse to ship outside the USA, then once they arrive here I slap on a new address and Bon voyage they go!!

Sellers choice to sell/ship anywhere they want. If buyers don't like it, arrange for a shipping tag to be sent to the seller, it can be done easily through any of the shipping services.

Have it sent to an intermediary in the US if you can't get it direct. I've sent lots of stuff up north for some people.

Personally I have no issue selling to Canada, BUT, I tell them upfront that cost heading over the border is usually a factor of 2x MINIMUM than getting it to the border. Shipping cost puts the binders on lots of stuff headed up north. As mentioned, some get quotes and you never hear from them again. Not like I can have Scotty beam up the dang stuff to Canada. :)

Then there's the raping from currency translation from paypal if that goes down...

I ship all over the world, 3 places I ship to the most is Sweden, Canada, and Australia. I only ship USPS and they pay the extra shipping and fees. I stay away from shipping large items cause it's spendy, how ever some members are willing to pay the high costs due to parts being nearly impossible to find over there.

I even go as far as to help members out, have parts they bought shipped to me from sellers who refuse to ship outside the USA, then once they arrive here I slap on a new address and Bon voyage they go!!

Now that's a good idea.....

Let me point out a few things.

First of all, if you ship stuff a lot, you really should use www.stamps.com. For a small monthly fee, you get it all. You can weigh your package, get accurate cost and print the postage and customs form. Set the package outside your front door and the mailman takes it away. No need to go anywhere.

Second, the "all the paperwork" argument doesn't work, at least if you are shipping via USPS. Its a postcard size form.

usps.jpg

From what I understand, USPS is the only way to ship to Canada, UPS and fedex have very high fees.

I will chip in here.
I have had great experinces with members seliing on this forum, 90% are more than happy to help out a fellow memeber here in Oz, this includes everything from small parts to the A body I have.
Shipping is not cheap so I will work with the memeber selling by first asking the wieght, size & Zip code, then I hit these site to get an idea.

https://www.usps.com/
http://www.summitracing.com/?ibanner=HP60NavSRE1

If its to expensive I will let them know.

May I interject here.

Most Canadians should know that:
. regardless of how a package is labeled, after a certain dollar amount, it will be taxed. Period. I should mention that all this is written down or go into your local post office and talk to a knowledgeable staff member;
. shipping from the states takes time. I am impressed with USPS ..but I give my parcels 2 to 3 weeks to arrive..whether the parcel is coming from Maine or SoCal… if I get the parcel quicker, then it is a bonus.
. depending on where your parcel crosses the border, you may or may not get charged. If you ship by UPS, Fedex or other courier you will be charged taxes, broker fees, etc at the time of pick up or later in the mail. I try very hard not to have anything shipped by courier. Since you know of these costs, these costs are not the concern of the seller.
.If you pay “as a gift” the seller doesn’t get dinged a service fee which is appropriate. If papal takes the money from a bank account, you don’t get charged a service fee. If you have it removed from your charge card, then you get dinged a charge and paypal will tell you how much..
. if you have a shipping number and the product gets lost, it is between you and the shipper..not the seller. It is good to pay for insurance.

I will probably think of more stuff but this is a start. I really don’t think Canadians are the only folks that try to get deals.

I would say that all but one of my purchases / sales have been extremely positive and the one that wasn’t, I didn’t ask enough questions and we were using a different definition for the same word. That happens…

I have shipped all over the world and I don't charge a premium for shipping...

From the states..flat price for a box size works well..and in canada, like the US, you can go on the post office web site and get the exact amount that it will cost to ship from a to be..

Grassy

The only problem I have with selling anything can go for buyers anywhere. The picture collectors for one. You go to the trouble to take good pics, send them and never hear anything. WTF are they makin? A scrapbook? Really gets under my skin.

I sold a small item and priced it shipped. It sold to canada and my wife shipped it. I paid them to take my part. I was promised the difference and never heard form them again.

I know that feeling.
Same thing recently happened to me.

You don't need any secondary fee charging service to ship.

USPS, FedEx, UPS have online form printing that is easy to use to likely ANYWHERE in the world.

It's easy enough for those out of the country to estimate shipping if they go to USPS/FE/UPS site, punch in To/from, estimated weight/size and see what spits out... like using google/bing to look up questions. Take some initiative.

Learn how to self clear your packages heading to Canada... then FE and UPS can't abuse you with brokerage fees!

You don't need any secondary fee charging service to ship.

Receive discounts you can't get at the Post Office™.

Stamps.com customers save up to:
  • 63% on all Priority Mail Express® shipments
  • 15% on Priority Mail® and First Class Package Service® shipments
  • 10% on international shipments
  • 40% on package insurance

But its only good IMO if you ship more then once in awhile.

-
Back