Will You ship outside of the US

-
..table went a bit off.. the bottom number is the total...so nova scotia is 15% and Alberta is 55.

I have sent stuff all over the world and I can say because of the size & weight of auto parts it's a lot of work packing & shipping. In general its not very lucrative, its basically a public service. So sending stuff out of the US is just a little bit more time and more risk of screwing up the shipping quote and then losing money.

As for sending items to Canada I have done it a lot but can understand why someone wouldn't want to put more time & effort into something that isn't lucrative to begin with.

will ship anywhere the buyer wants to pay for-- years ago I sent an item to Australia it took 5 months!! Lawrence

For the Canadians that complain about cost of shipping, Please do not waste the U.S.
MEMBERS time if you can not afford it in the first place,its going to cost more plain and simple.
NOW look what happens.

Darryl

For the Canadians that complain about cost of shipping, Please do not waste the U.S.
MEMBERS time if you can not afford it in the first place,its going to cost more plain and simple.
NOW look what happens.

Darryl

And there has never been an American complain about shipping a piiece from one state to another ??

And who are all these droves of complaining Canadians ????????????? Isn't the rate the buyer / seller on this forum for ??

Just pulling your chain a bit there Joe!! When is sell stuff, i find a box for it first, then weigh it and leave it in the box until it goes out the door. I have a couple hundred boxes on hand, and cant stand having to hunt for a box to ship something in, so if i dont have a box for it, i just dont list it! With the hundreds of dufferent size parts on a single parts car, it just pays to have the boxing done first. I also write all pertinent info right on the box so its always at hand!! Ive sold items months after i list them sometimes and it helps to be able to just grab the box and have all the info right there!!

I ship a lot of stuff!!!...

I know. I'm just having fun Too.

I don't keep boxes around. Been getting rid of clutter for a while now. I just take the stuff to a shipping store by me. They do an awesome job of packing the stuff for me ( better then I would do that's for sure)..

I had a guy from New Hampshire quote me $ 42.00 (a couple of years ago) to ship 4 key blanks... I did argue that..am I a complaining , sniveling Canadian ?

Cheers
Ian.

I have shipped to Canada, Australia, even Sweden. buyer pays shipping and you drop your item at the post office (FedEx, ups, whatever shipper you chose), so what's the big deal, an extra form to fill out?
I will normaly weigh my shipping items on a bathroom scale and round up to the next half pound for a quote. sometimes I make an extra buck on shipping sometimes not. have lost a few bucks from time to time too.

Ian, thank you for the help -- and it is! :-D

I've been shipping to Canada for years, and even to 65DartCharger Ulf up there in Sweden, without any issues or extra fees (beyond the postage) being imposed on my customers that I was aware of, unless they've always just kept it to themselves.

The other day I was shocked to learn our member Snake's Mickey Thompson valve covers resulted in some random $63 fee he was required to pay in addition to the $60+ in postage charges before he could claim them. I have been trying to figure out what, if any, part of the Customs form I filled out that might have resulted in that fee, but the Post Master and counter clerk here can't tell me.

I'm all for saving money in every way possible, but I also want my customers to be fully protected in the event of any loss or damage. I always recommend they buy insurance sufficient to cover not only the amount of my bill, but the cost of the part itself on the open market so they're not "out" anything if a forklift runs over it or something. On the Customs form, there are separate areas for the total contents' value and the insured value (both filled in by the shipper).

There's another box on the upper right side of the form called the "SDR Value," but there is no explanation about that box on the instructions; it's in an area that is filled in by postal workers.

So if I understand your explanation and the chart right, that additional tax is based on the total contents value I write in on the Customs form? Perhaps it would be best if I leave that amount up to my customers too just like the insurance ...

Thanks again! Another piece to the puzzle :thumblef:

Rob, we can do this without all the name calling, etc. There is no need for all that.

Why cant you just put in the ad that buyers from Canada must pay all fees and leave it at that? I think also you can mark the customs form that its a gift and that fixes the problem with fees.

No name calling going on, just calling a spade a spade in which they come in every shape color creed and place on earth. It is a fact, someone always has a ***** about there "almost good deal" they get.

I have shipped to Canada a bunch of times with most every one giving no complaint. But there is always a few that cry foul.

It seems simple enough, here is the price, shipping is either included or you pay, I quote and if I'm wrong, I eat the price difference. How is that a bad deal? You pay what we agreed to and not a cent more! How that is a bad deal I do not know. You tell me.

Just to simplify things and debunk a couple of myths here .First the `Long Form`is for duty and even tho it is physically a full page in size all you really have to write on it is Who you are and who you are shipping to including both your full addresses then in the giant box for detailing the shipment you write `used auto parts 100% manufactured in North America`nothing more as all auto parts manufactured in North America are exempt from duty under NAFTA this is the statement you should write on the small form as well because this moves it through the border smoother. you must also state the value of the shipment which is the number the post office will use when collecting the tax due on delivery , this is not paid to the USPS when you drop it off so there is no reason for the shipper to worry about calculating it , any Canadian on this forum who claims he is unaware of sales tax being due is a liar and should be reported to the rest of us Canadians for his subsequent beating , unfortunately this forum has it`s fair share of cheap *** scammers from both sides of the border and most of us who have been here for several years know who they are .

Wow, that's great to know too. I know you don't think the shipper worries about what the buyer ultimately pays, but I do care. Whatever isn't spent on the shipment from me can be spent on something else for your car. :-D

Since the boxes are apparently "always" opened (by rumor), I thought I'd arouse suspicion if I didn't list out everything in the box like it says on the form. I even count the business cards LOL! Thanks for the extra info cannucky.

And there has never been an American complain about shipping a piiece from one state to another ??

And who are all these droves of complaining Canadians ????????????? Isn't the rate the buyer / seller on this forum for ??
I do not know who the droves are, but it seems some member will not ship to
Canada. It is because they do not want to fill out the paper or someone is
complaining at the cost and cancels on them?
"for the Canadians that complain about shipping" I mean for the "few Canadians " Sorry about how I said that.
And yes there is always going to be complaints at cost everywhere,state to
state, province to province.
Have purchased 6 separate Items from U.S. from members here and never
had a problem yet.

Darryl

If someone doesn't want to ship to other countries then contact them directly and see what you can work out. If they still won't ship outside the states then there is nothing that can be done other than to ship it to a member that will reship it or get yourself a US post office box.

I can definitely understand the frustration of not being able to get parts you want but the parts do belong to the seller and he has the right to do with them as he pleases.

Wow, that's great to know too. I know you don't think the shipper worries about what the buyer ultimately pays, but I do care. Whatever isn't spent on the shipment from me can be spent on something else for your car. :-D

Since the boxes are apparently "always" opened (by rumor), I thought I'd arouse suspicion if I didn't list out everything in the box like it says on the form. I even count the business cards LOL! Thanks for the extra info cannucky.

When my motor came up I hired a customs broker to handle the paperwork for me and she explained how it works , after I had paid for her services of course lol but Brian filled out the declaration form and I saved the duty ,which was about what she had charged me in the first place but my motor sailed through customs on the truck that brought it up without any holdup . In my experience they open very few packages but who knows how many they scan with the xray machine .

I have purchased parts from members here with out any problems,i ask for a shipping quote to my post code and they have been more than helpful.Ive rebuilt all my drive train,Trans,engine,brakes,complete rubbers,everything apart from the front end. I purchase parts from sellers from the US and if i need it quick i will use fed x 4 to 5 days from US to Aus, if im not to fuss to wait a little longer USPS Priority International 9-15 days! The reason i do alot of purchases from the US is you know your products where as ive used our local vendors to purchase my front end and some other bits and pieces, got sick and tired of wrong parts sent and being reamed big time on prices.

I was just saving your chart. Is that really 55% for Alberta??? Holy crap. I hope that's a typo.

Arg. Long day at a car show 1.5 hours away....that would be 5%. Alberta is Canada's richest province and where most of Canada's youth head to to find work. My son will probably be heading there in a couple of years. We thought he was going to be a kid that suck close to home until he went to the v-ball U-18 nationals this spring. The contrat for employment could not be any different between the two provinces.

In contrast, Nova Scotia is dieing and is becoming a "retirement" province.. and we really don't want our kids to stay here.

grassy

It has been my experience whether I have been buying vitamins (the US has some killer web sites that I can get the identical product (same brand, etc) for up to 700% cheaper..nope, not a typo ...than here) slot cars, or auto stuff that if the package go through a certain province, I am dinged for everything or if it goes through customs in the neighboring province, I almost never get charged. So out of 10 parcels, I usually only get dinged for one.

If the sellar is comfortable with it and it isn't a too high value of a part, I usually ask for the seller to put a lower price on it. If it is important, i leave the value and insure it.

It comes down to your comfort level...but USPS is a great way to ship. I have never had a problem with them ...

grassy

Grassy

Aus, if im not to fuss to wait a little longer USPS Priority International 9-15 days!

I once bought a set of slot cars and they were shipped by sea, I believe..just over 2 months to arrive.

When your country is as large as ours and there are only 33 million people, we do not have anywhere the purchasing power to have many of the specialty store like what is available in the country south of us so we are forced to go south to buy what we need.

Out dollar has been at par for a very long time and the only reason vendors tell us that why we pay so much more is volume. Even with the multi national chain. I think profit margin as well.

Grassy

I shipped some headliner trim from a 69 roadrunner to Australia one time....it was too long to fit under the length restrictions. Messaged the buyer back and told him the deal was off because they were too long to ship. He said "cut 'em and get them to me, they're impossible to find"!! Did what tha man said, another happy customer!!! Geof

The getting screwed out of parts or money goes both ways, and so does the whining and complaining, so it's not just a Canadian thing. We are good at it, and with some practice we could be the best in the world!
I usually just have the part shipped to the border (on the U.S. side there is a warehouse) and drive down and pick it up.
Then i bring the items back myself with all of the reciepts presented to the customs officials. I will get charged for G.S.T. but that's it.
It's only an hour drive one way so it's no big deal.
People will whine about the stupidest things, i see a lot on here when people are selling something small and cheap like a radio for $20, and guys want to know the shipping cost to 90210 or wherever and back out because it's 10 bucks. The seller gets quote after quote sent to these people, and at 20 bucks he's just trying to help someone out, and it ends up being a huge hassle.
I agree with Oldmanmopar in the fact that it's stressful and more than frustrating trying to sell parts to people.
Some times it's easier to throw the part in the dumpster and to hell with the hassle.
You know, honestly, if you are worried so much about the price, maybe you should take up a cheaper hobby like knitting.
Buyers:
It's really quite simple. Pay the price and have it shipped for actual costs. Keep in mind that it takes time for the seller to package the item up and send it, so don't ***** about the price after the deal is made.
Sellers:
Take pictures of the item and the box. Pack it so you could run over it with a tank and the box not break or bend. A good idea is what a lot of people do here now and quote a price shipped to wherever. Don't ship until you get paid in full. If that isn't simple enough for you, or is too much hassle, sell locally only or scrap the part.
You probably aren't making much anyway or just breaking even. You are doing more of a service to your fellow enthusiast than you are making a big profit.
If you choose to discriminate to where you will sell to, be specific as to why.
Say in your ad something like ''I will not ship to Canada, New York, Idaho, and Europe because they are all a bunch of whiners there and i've had a lot of bad experiences'' Be honest.
Remember in the '50s and '60s when racism against black people was a big issue? It's the same thing, or it feels the same to be excluded for where you live or what you are.
Rant over!
Tom.

I will ship any where. I list lower 48 Because my prices include shipping. The buyer has to initiate that they will pay the extra cost after the initial payment for the item. Then I know they are serious and not waiting my time. Sometimes It is no extra but I will not take the chance anymore.

I try to list no returns because then you don't get there old part back in place of your nice part. It happens more then you think.

I have had no problems with any member on here with shipping to me , and vise versa myself shipping to the U.S . I like many others from Canada realize that shipping large items is possibly out of the question, unless it comes courrier then your fees will add up fast .As far as shipping postal very very simple indeed , a small portion of a piece of paper to fill both addresses , i always check off as a gift .I even shipped parts to U.S members on here for free, and i always received a message back . As far as RUMBLEFISHER360 comment just a pile of crap , sounds like just to lazy to sent it . And he might also be one of a very very few that think we live in Igloos, and ride horses lol lol.

-
Back