Windage Tray

-

6pakattack

Reaction score
Anyone know of an aftermarket or even stock windage tray for my /6 build ?? And compatible with my Main Stud kit !

Good luck. I got one but you caint have it.

Good luck. I got one but you caint have it.

Good luck on finding one. I've been able to find 2 of them. One is inside a 65 slant 6 motor and one is hanging on the wall of my storage building for a future project.

Good luck and if you plan on buying new your going to pay 250 to 300 bucks I tryed for a couple months I ended up just putting some baffles in the oil pan but I did find a set of crank scrappers that I think I payed around 125 after shipping

i got a windage kit from Manicinni, yes you read that right... anyways it came with this lot buy i got from them... basically sold me all there slant parts for like 200 bucks lol... and it came with like 40 pushrods(solid and Hyd) lifters, rockers, you name it...

anyways so i got to install the windage tray and its right against the crank, no clearance... so i just set it in the pan and it still hit... i hade to do a bunch of work to it... had an MP number on it...

so i just made my own pan

Attachments

• Deep Sump (6).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 523
  • Deep Sump (19).jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 745
Just playing,no road racing !!

This comment from me has no real value in regards to any slant 6, but I think it's interesting.

I have a good friend who races a '72 Mustang 351 Cleveland in NHRA's Stock Eliminator. He's been running this same car for at least 20 years and has always kept meticulous performance records on it; repeatability and max horsepower are both of critical importance to him (the car runs low 11's.)

In an effort to pick up some e.t., last year, he installed a professionally-built windage tray on his 550+hp motor.

The windage tray was built by a respected Ford engine builder who has a nationwide reputation for getting it right.

My frriend's car slowed down a tenth and a half with the tray installed! He does his test and tune at the same drag strip for repeatability, and since he couldn't believe the results, he went back the next week to verify the slower elapsed times in testing.

Same result.

The next week, he returned (virtually the same weather conditions) with the tray removed and picked up the .15-seconds he'd lost with that windage tray installed.

I have an M-P windage tray on my supercharged 360 Magnum; I wonder if it's helping me or hurting me???

Just sayin'...

Well, just as your friend and his Ford proved more power can be made without one in his case, there have been countless dyno runs that have proven otherwise in other applications. Fact is, oil has weight and resistance and anything you can do to keep both those down will cause power to go up. Obviously that did not happen in the case of your friend's Ford. I am sure exceptions can be found to every rule.

Well, just as your friend and his Ford proved more power can be made without one in his case, there have been countless dyno runs that have proven otherwise in other applications. Fact is, oil has weight and resistance and anything you can do to keep both those down will cause power to go up. Obviously that did not happen in the case of your friend's Ford. I am sure exceptions can be found to every rule.

Our turbocharged slant 6 has a deepened oil pan (the sump was dropped 2.5 inches) and I'm hoping that having the oil level down away from the crank will reduce windage to the point that we won't need a windage tray.

But, that's pure speculation on my part....

Our turbocharged slant 6 has a deepened oil pan (the sump was dropped 2.5 inches) and I'm hoping that having the oil level down away from the crank will reduce windage to the point that we won't need a windage tray.

But, that's pure speculation on my part....

you still need baffles like i have...

-
Back