Windage Tray

-
P

Problem Child

Friend gave me a windage tray for my 360. is it worth puttting on during build up, and if so where do I get a bolt kit to mount it?

Yes. MoPar should have the proper bolt kit.
These trys are reported to free up 15 HP due to windage problems.
For the price of a bolt kit, it's worth it.

Aside from the previously mentioned bolt kit, you might have to trim the tray to clear the oil pump pick up. I had that issue building my engine. Plus if it's a 360 the main bearing caps are a little bit wider than the 340 so you will have to fool around with the openings where the attachment bolts go. I had to elongate mine a bit. And if you spread the tray to fit better, the edges might hit the oil pan, requiring a little more trimming. And don't forget to check the crank counterweights to make sure they're not contacting the tray either or it will hit and sound like all hell is breaking loose when you fire it up.

It's a bolt-in with some mild torture involved....:sad1:

That the it increasing horsepower by decreasing drag would seem to be a misnomer. My longtime machinist, L. D. Smythe (a former SS/A and SS/B Superstock racer) has told me that in development, Chrysler found that windage trays helped only minimally when the clearance between the rotating assembly and oil in the sump was minimal. He went on to say that my Milodon deep pan w/o a windage tray but with an oil scraper would be the best setup for a wet sump.
So, for a bone-stock setup, it won't hurt to use it, and it may help a little. I just don't think I'd bother to install it if it was the only reason to pull the engine. If you are going to install it, you also might consider installing accel/decel baffles in the pan as well. It's not hard to do and will prevent engine-damaging oil starvation.

Bryan

PDQs right. I put the MP package in one of my 360s because something is better than nothing, but the gain is not as much as most think. I had nop clearance issues at all ('87 block). I would suggest prying open the slots slightly beyond where MP leaves them. The MP design does block the wind from hitting the oil in the sump, but does very little for the oil trapped around the crank, and that's where most of the increases come from. The Milodon windage tray is a better design, with the scraper giving the best return for the $$.

-
Back