Windshield and rear glass question

-

bwillaub

Reaction score
Any of you good people out there that left the chrome trim off when you installed yours? If so, how do you like the looks and could you post some photos? I'm considering leaving mine off.

Thanks,
Bob

I removed the stainless off my '69 Barracuda to keep it from ever rusting under the trim. The windshield man had different rolls of rubber trim, we just did a little experimenting to figure out what combination looked the best.:

DSC02213.JPG
DSC02214.JPG
DSC03253.JPG
DSC03255.JPG
DSC03257.JPG
DSC03263.JPG
DSC03264.JPG

Treblig

I removed the stainless off my '69 Barracuda to keep it from ever rusting under the trim. The windshield man had different rolls of rubber trim, we just did a little experimenting to figure out what combination looked the best.:

View attachment 1715205682 View attachment 1715205683 View attachment 1715205684 View attachment 1715205685 View attachment 1715205686 View attachment 1715205687 View attachment 1715205688

Treblig
I like the look. Might be a dumb question, but did you use the OE weatherstripping along with the other?

I like the look. Might be a dumb question, but did you use the OE weatherstripping along with the other?
Yes, the original weather strip is mounted first with the glass then the extra space is filled with urethane and the rubber trim that fits the best. Like I said the windshield man that came to my house had numerous roles of different types of rubber strip (different shapes). We snipped off short sections to see which ones fit best into the gaps between the glass and the body. Once we determined which rubber trim fit best he simply pumped urthane into the gap and then placed the trim into the urethane and smoothed everything. I also undercoated the glass gutters before installing the glass to keep moisture (rust) away from the gutter.

treblig

Yes, the original weather strip is mounted first with the glass then the extra space is filled with urethane and the rubber trim that fits the best. Like I said the windshield man that came to my house had numerous roles of different types of rubber strip (different shapes). We snipped off short sections to see which ones fit best into the gaps between the glass and the body. Once we determined which rubber trim fit best he simply pumped urthane into the gap and then placed the trim into the urethane and smoothed everything. I also undercoated the glass gutters before installing the glass to keep moisture (rust) away from the gutter.

treblig
I really like the look. I'm eliminating almost all the chrome from my car. Appreciate your reply.
Bob

I really like the look. I'm eliminating almost all the chrome from my car. Appreciate your reply.
Bob
You're welcome ....the best part about eliminating the stainless was not having to worry about rust in the glass gutter but even better I sold the stainless trim off m '69 Barracuda for $550!!! WIN-WIN!!!

You're welcome ....the best part about eliminating the stainless was not having to worry about rust in the glass gutter but even better I sold the stainless trim off m '69 Barracuda for $550!!! WIN-WIN!!!
My trim is in good condition. I may just try to do that myself.

Black out the window trim. Paint, stain, etc. and use it.

I want to do a flush mount like on modern cars where there is a very small gap. the windows will be glued in with a small molding already attached. I will have to weld on some round stock or something to the opening and smooth it before paint.

At least that's what I WANT to do. Treblig has me rethinking though, looks pretty good man.

I want to do a flush mount like on modern cars where there is a very small gap. the windows will be glued in with a small molding already attached. I will have to weld on some round stock or something to the opening and smooth it before paint.

At least that's what I WANT to do. Treblig has me rethinking though, looks pretty good man.
Member "snakebit" has done the flush windshield on his Frankencuda. I think he had to trim the windshield down to fit properly (risky business) but he did chop his top. Of course my way is a lot less work and less risky??
Thanks,
Treblig

Member "snakebit" has done the flush windshield on his Frankencuda. I think he had to trim the windshield down to fit properly (risky business) but he did chop his top. Of course my way is a lot less work and less risky??
Thanks,
Treblig
A lot is an understatement. I could see trimming the safety glass but that back window is tempered. I wonder how he did that. Slowly and keep it cool I'd guess.

Black out the window trim. Paint, stain, etc. and use it.

It does look good.

Thanks,
Treblig
Just hoping my windshield guy is as good as yours!

Just hoping my windshield guy is as good as yours!
Well he only charged me $100 for the install but I told him that if he took a little extra time and let me make sure everything fit perfectly I'd throw in and extra $50. He was totally happy with that!! It was worth it. Sometimes you gotta give a little to get a lot!!:thumbsup:

treblig

Well he only charged me $100 for the install but I told him that if he took a little extra time and let me make sure everything fit perfectly I'd throw in and extra $50. He was totally happy with that!! It was worth it. Sometimes you gotta give a little to get a lot!!:thumbsup:

treblig
I have no problem with giving a little extra for a job well done.

Wonder if the rear window on my 66' can be installed with out a gasket? LOL!
Getting ready for paint and then headliner and then glass goes back in.... sweating the rear window on that car.
Getting the old one out was a piece of cake- or razor blade. New gasket and huge window. even my glass guy asked me to find someone older and more experienced.
That scared me. He's 55.

I have no problem with giving a little extra for a job well done.
Meant to ask you before......what did you do about the screw holes for the clips? Did the urethane seal them or did you weld them before doing the windshield and rear window?

Meant to ask you before......what did you do about the screw holes for the clips? Did the urethane seal them or did you weld them before doing the windshield and rear window?
I don't know about "bwillaub" but my car the original rear glass gutter didn't have screws, it had little studs welded to the gutter. I had to grind them off before sealing with undercoat. If you have screw holes I would install short screws (with undercoat on the threads) then seal everything again. Treblig

-
Back