Windshield Glass Advise

-

ermarccio

Reaction score
I need to purchase a new windshield. Are they all they same or are some better than others? I see YearOne has two of them for $260. What does "green tint" mean? How green are we talking?

There are at least a couple front windshields for 67-76 A-bodies.

I think only the "repro's" are clear without tint. You can get them with the factory mark "bug" on them too.

The ones with a very defined dark brownish band of tint at the top are the cheaper ones. You should be able to get them at any local glass install place. Could/should be cheaper (factoring shipping $) than the ones sold by the repro places. Shop around.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Metal+Direct/106/380-1370-T/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Metal+Direct/106/380-1370-C/10002/-1

$12.99 for shipping...

one is clear and one is tinted...

ordered one last week and it is being delivered this morning..

Could you measure the thickness of your new one compared to the old one. I wonder if they are a little lighter. I'm wondering how the AMD stuff compares to the cheap line of glass installation shop glass.

Factory 68 Super Stock cars ran lightweight glass. I love to shed some high weight.

FWIW there was someone selling 67-72 Dart side glass from Brazil that was thinner than factory. Not marketed like that. But a inexpensive way to get some S/S glass.

Could you measure the thickness of your new one compared to the old one. I wonder if they are a little lighter. I'm wondering how the AMD stuff compares to the cheap line of glass installation shop glass.

Factory 68 Super Stock cars ran lightweight glass. I love to shed some high weight.

FWIW there was someone selling 67-72 Dart side glass from Brazil that was thinner than factory. Not marketed like that. But a inexpensive way to get some S/S glass.

It is my impression that the new replacement windshields are thinner than the originals. (Most likely a discussion on the 67-69 Barracuda Group site) If you can still use your old rubber gasket, it may not seal as well because it will have taken a set to the older, thicker dimension so a fresh gasket would be advisable.

I remember at the Hemi Reunion about 5 years ago at Quaker City...there was someone selling thin "Hemi" A-body windshields for something like $400-500 each. It made me wonder if they were just thinner modern replacements being flipped for profit. I'm always looking to reduce weight too so the thought has crossed my mind.

Got mine form a local glass shop......one of the national chains.....

..just install the cheapest but look closely,i ordered 3 before i got a good one
ask your installer to seal with a tiny bead of urethane.

Last I checked in my area, Safelite wanted $260 installed for a "tinted" repop.

But that was a year ago.

It is my impression that the new replacement windshields are thinner than the originals. (Most likely a discussion on the 67-69 Barracuda Group site) If you can still use your old rubber gasket, it may not seal as well because it will have taken a set to the older, thicker dimension so a fresh gasket would be advisable.

I remember at the Hemi Reunion about 5 years ago at Quaker City...there was someone selling thin "Hemi" A-body windshields for something like $400-500 each. It made me wonder if they were just thinner modern replacements being flipped for profit. I'm always looking to reduce weight too so the thought has crossed my mind.

I heard that too. But I wonder if some of the new glass is thinner than others.

I know someone that bought new repro clear glass. Only way to get true clear glass. I'll have to ask him about the thickness. But I don't think he had an original to compare to.

..just install the cheapest but look closely,i ordered 3 before i got a good one
ask your installer to seal with a tiny bead of urethane.

Both front & rear still leak on mine. Just a drip but.....New gaskets were used, pinter had them removed/installed 3x before giving up. There is a local shop I talked to about it. He said he will give it a shot, they still leak there will be no charge.

Last I checked in my area, Safelite wanted $260 installed for a "tinted" repop.

But that was a year ago.

Mine was done about 2 years ago in Phoenix. One Safelight place wanted $70 more than the other.......go figure....

So if I want it to look original, I should get the green tinted with the blue bar across the top? I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest, but rather something that will fit good (not leak) and look original.

Thanks for the replies!

Both front & rear still leak on mine. Just a drip but.....New gaskets were used, pinter had them removed/installed 3x before giving up. There is a local shop I talked to about it. He said he will give it a shot, they still leak there will be no charge.

Mine was done about 2 years ago in Phoenix. One Safelight place wanted $70 more than the other.......go figure....

Safelite in my area won't even touch an old car. After talking to them I wouldn't want them to either. They told me, and I quote "Take the car to a body shop and have them fix the rust first". This was over the phone without ever seeing my car.

Best places are the small glass shops with one or two guys working there. Find the old timer that has been doing this stuff for 30 years and pay him the extra money if he requires it. The headaches saved are worth it.

that becuase the guy dosn't know what he is doing... we have an older guy from safelite do our glass, no leaks ever... you have to go it acertain way or they leak as the new "gaskets" do nothing more than hold the glass in, not seal.

and as i recall the AMD front glass was thicker and slightly larger making it kinda hard to install

Windshielf from AMD measure .287 thick...
that means that both layers are probably 3 mm (add the laminate layer and there ya go). When I worked in a glass shop we either got PPG (sorry PGW now) or cheaper glass- the PGW clarity was better (the cheap stuff was often wavy) and the cheap stuff definitely felt thinner- I always wondered whether they were 2mm instead of 3, at least one layer (we never checked them).

edit- most of the cheaper stuff we used to get was made in China- different brand names though.

that becuase the guy dosn't know what he is doing... we have an older guy from safelite do our glass, no leaks ever... you have to go it acertain way or they leak as the new "gaskets" do nothing more than hold the glass in, not seal.

EZ got frustrated by the glass guys crap and gave up. Local guy seemed pretty sure that he would be able to get them leak free.

Last I washed the car I did not see any leaks, but I did not run a lot of water over the glass.

Might not be my head ache as I have a local guy interested in the car....and all of the goodies. If I do keep it I very well might not worry about the leaks. We do not get all that much rain in my area. The car is kept in a garage. If all I have to do is put a towel on the floor and the trunk when I wash it....

EZ got frustrated by the glass guys crap and gave up. Local guy seemed pretty sure that he would be able to get them leak free.

Last I washed the car I did not see any leaks, but I did not run a lot of water over the glass.

Might not be my head ache as I have a local guy interested in the car....and all of the goodies. If I do keep it I very well might not worry about the leaks. We do not get all that much rain in my area. The car is kept in a garage. If all I have to do is put a towel on the floor and the trunk when I wash it....

mine leaks right into the glove box and right into the fuse box... it sucks...

our glass guys uses his stuff all along the body lip side of the seal, then uses this factory tar bead stuff along the bottom and up the sides

I have a 64/65 barracuda or more tinted fornt windshield for 150.00 + ride
very nice no chips or foging or scratches

-
Back