Wiped cam lobe = ported heads and roller

-
We are running the comp 829 rollers, stock block un bushed.
during the build I noticed 3 of the lifter bores were uncovered at full lift causing oil leakage at those lifters during priming, this is with a crane .670 lift [email protected] cam.
I was worried but talked to another member and decided to try it, we have about 45lb pressure at hot idle and 75-80lb with some rpms, our lifters are the earlier version that the lifter body kinda covers some of the wheel, I know some of the other lifter styles may have more problems with this so just another thing to watch out for

Some people chose to run hydraulic rollers because they worry about maintaining a solid roller. They don't know how, they won't learn, they've heard horror stories about constant adjustments, they figure it is cheaper or they just may be too lazy to adjust the lash.

I worry about oil control in the hydraulic lifter. Not all, but some factory lifter bores are oversized or worn out. Worn lifter bores are a source of leakage around the lifter and this can cause an operational failure (not necessarily a physical failure) of the hydraulic lifter.

We were a very small, low volume, small profit, two man shop. It's a killer to have one customer that I have to hassle with over and over because his hydraulic roller that, he demanded, rattles in his engine. I gave up building cheap engines to satisfy cheap customers because they want to save a few bucks on their economy engine.

All the blocks we see now are 40 years old. They are mostly worn out! New blocks, okay you can have hydraulic lifters. But I won't do hydraulics unless we bush the lifter bores.

"You won't build me a hydraulic lifter engine unless the lifter bores are bushed?"

No I won't!

"Well I'll just take it to someone else, A-hole!"

Bye.........Just my opinion.

Is there any reason why correct lifter bore size cant be measured to ensure a proper fit and function?

Is there any reason why correct lifter bore size cant be measured to ensure a proper fit and function?

What are you gonna do to change it? The lifters come one way, the bore wear is going to be random. The Morels HR's I just got measure .9035, with a couple tenth spread, which might just be me getting ham fisted on the mic. I bushed to .9052, maybe plus a tenth or two, Morel wanted .0015-.0018 clearance. An engine is one place where loose is better than tight.

I totally agree with IQ52 regarding bushing lifter bores. The other guys at my shop give me **** about it, the only other Mopar guys doing things right WRT lifter bores are the Comp guys with their killer small blocks. S/F....Ken M

-
Back